Vanguard U.S. Value Fund (VUVLX): 14% Loss on 12/17/07

ZMAN

Recycles dryer sheets
My review of VUVLX shows it loss $2.05 or 14% today, 12/17/07. I have never seen any of my Vanguard funds move that much. The market was not that bad. Any one know what happened?

You guys are great (as always)!

Thanks.

Zman

I want to add one post script. When I checked the fund last night there was only the 14% loss and no credit to the account, leading to my confusion. This morning there was a credit for short term, long term gains and dividends, offsetting most but not all of the loss on 12-17-07. I guess I am looking at my accounts too often.

This morning there was a credit for short term, long term gains and dividends, offsetting most but not all of the loss on 12-17-07.

The shortfall was the reduction in share price due to normal daily price changes. The market was down on the 17th.

Same thing happened to Vanguard Windsor (VWNDX). Yesterday it went down from [-]$19.76 [/-]

(edited to add: NO - - my mistake, $17.98, thanks CFB)

to $15.53, due to a dividend, short term, and long term capital gains. The number of my shares went way up too, for that reason, since I have directed Vanguard to reinvest everything.

I think a lot of Vanguard funds do this in December. Last year was the first time I experienced this happening, and like you, I was a little concerned! But all is well. This year I am blase and worldly about it. :2funny:

Last edited:
I hope that's what happened to my American Funds fund CWGIX. It went down about 10% yesterday and i've been trying to figure out what happened for the last couple hours.

I hope that's what happened to my American Funds fund CWGIX. It went down about 10% yesterday and i've been trying to figure out what happened for the last couple hours.

I think it probably is the same situation. If you go here,

American Funds - Detailed Fund Information - Capital World Growth and Income Fund - Class A

click on the tab for historical distributions, and put in "December, 2007", it says there was both a dividend and Capital gains distribution on the 17th.

One of the reasons I got out of the Windsor II fund a few years back. Nice fund, good returns, but MAN did they drop some heavy distributions at the end of the year.

One of the reasons I got out of the Windsor II fund a few years back. Nice fund, good returns, but MAN did they drop some heavy distributions at the end of the year.

That is sure understandable! I think Windsor II is even worse than Windsor about that, or was last year anyway. I have Windsor in my Roth IRA, but I will probably be getting out of it in 2008 to make room for even more tax-inefficient stuff that needs to be there.

Large cap value is included in VTSMX Total Stock Market (which I intend to include in taxable), and I will probably just forget about Windsor.

Back
Top Bottom