What Happened to Market Volatility?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I suspect I'll get shooshed for saying anything. But it's interesting how market volatility seems to have subsided considerably near the end of the year. It seemed like the European debt crisis was driving much of the volatility along with USA congressional paralysis. AFAIK, those two issues are still unresolved. Not complaining, just wondering...(churning for year end bonuses? - that would be too cynical)

Attachments

• DJIA.gif
    DJIA.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 12
I've noticed the same thing but haven't said anything so as to not jinx it. Shh!

No idea, though. Even the on-again-off-again implosion of Greece and the Eurozone isn't creating much of a stir. Seems odd given recent history.

I've noticed the same thing but haven't said anything so as to not jinx it. Shh!
Obviously this is one of those threads in which I shouldn't say a word, certainly not any beginning with "Wh"....

But I have been thinking the same thing.

Some thoughts: (and yes, shhhhhhh)

1) Headline fatique. Investors just stopped reacting to every little nuance coming out of Europe.
2) Many MFs have slowly and quietly reallocated away from European/Euro dependent equities
3) Belief that the US economy is getting stronger (see #1)
4) A coming European recession is already 'baked in' to the US equitiy prices. (see #2)

I suspect I'll get shooshed for saying anything. But it's interesting how market volatility seems to have subsided considerably near the end of the year. It seemed like the European debt crisis was driving much of the volatility along with USA congressional paralysis. AFAIK, those two issues are still unresolved. Not complaining, just wondering...(churning for year end bonuses? - that would be too cynical)

I'm sure I'm in a minority but I am very disappointed to see the volatility drops so dramatically. The VIX was crazy high back in the summer which made it a very profitable time to write options. At the point I am pretty much out of the business of writing options, because I think the risk of a market correction aren't substantially lower than they were back in the summer because as you say neither the European debt crisis, nor the fundamental conflicts in the US about how to handle our debt are close to being resolved.

I had noticed as well.

As for upcoming stability, are election years typically more or less volatile than average?

it is kind of scary, but with the ECB guarantee of 3 years backstopping banks and the US Fed committed to almost free funds through 2014, this is not a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom