Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would love to live in a "ghost town city" provided the amenities are all there. Living the city life without all the people would be quite appealing to this small town guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I do not think these ghost buildings have electric and water, although the wiring and plumbing should be in when they are built. But with a generator and a cistern, you could be self-sufficient, just like Charlton Heston in The Omega Man.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not think these ghost buildings have electric and water, although the wiring and plumbing should be in when they are built. But with a generator and a cistern, you could be self-sufficient, just like Charlton Heston in The Omega Man.

Well that wont suffice, NW. I want the coffee shops, the restaurants, and the walkable grocery stores with all the electricity. The only thing I want missing is the crowds and crime!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

You want too much! Coffee shops, restaurants, and grocery stores all stocked up just to serve a single customer, you?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You want too much! Coffee shops, restaurants, and grocery stores all stocked up just to serve a single customer, you?

Would be nice! I lived in small towns my entire life. City amenities of very compelling, but I have lived too many years not bumping shoulders with people and leaving doors unlocked without fear to change now.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I lived in small towns my entire life...
Then why need the big city "stuff" now? Some Hong Kongers are paying $180/month to live in a 6' x 2.5' cage. Yes, a literal cage. What big city amenities can compensate for that?

Skip to 2:00 in the following video. This makes the tiny home movement in the US look so extravagant and luxurious.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then why need the big city "stuff" now? Some Hong Kongers are paying $180/month to live in a 6' x 2.5' cage. Yes, a literal cage. What big city amenities can compensate for that?

Skip to 2:00 in the following video. This makes the tiny home movement in the US look so extravagant and luxurious.

That is absolutely crazy! I live in a 1500 sq. ft home by myself (which I think is on the small side). I guess there is 2 times a week I wish I was living in one of those cages....When I am vacuuming the house and when I am mowing the lawn!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like the Dow has gone skiing today (8-20-15) too
Old 08-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whoo Wee!

Are we having fun yet?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, the personal savings of the Chinese population was piled up in these empty
high rises that were built and sold as investments, while much of the people
still live in squalor.
No Bogleheads in China?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Not just real estate, but their stock market was also overpriced. I don't think Bogle would approve.

China has a real problem with their personal savings rate estimated as high as 40%, compared to less than 6% for the US. Too much money, too few places to put it. They were not allowed to invest overseas, else could buy up lots of cheaper foreign assets.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not just real estate, but their stock market was also overpriced. I don't think Bogle would approve.

China has a real problem with their personal savings rate estimated as high as 40%, compared to less than 6% for the US. Too much money, too few places to put it. They were not allowed to invest overseas, else could buy up lots of cheaper foreign assets.

Well instead of buying stocks they could be buying living cages instead and be landlords.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Wow. If the Politburo happened to surf the Web and read this forum, they would invite you to be their financial advisor.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow. If the Politburo happened to surf the Web and read this forum, they would invite you to be their financial advisor.

Hey I am just a small town guy. Even poor people have plenty of space here. Those cages just blow my mind. If I didn't know it was true already, I would swear it was pure fiction from a movie!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #35

Quote:

A savings rate like many on E-R . ORG ?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

If forum members appreciated the Paradox of Thrift, they would not make fun of the spendthrifts, whom we depend on to provide for our early retirement.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_thrift.

Note the following paragraph in the above Wiki article. This portion contains criticism of the Paradox.
the paradox assumes a closed economy in which savings are not invested abroad (to fund exports of local production abroad). Thus, while the paradox may hold at the global level, it need not hold at the local or national level: if one nation increases savings, this can be offset by trading partners consuming a greater amount relative to their own production, i.e., if the saving nation increases exports, and its partners increase imports. This criticism is not very controversial, and is generally accepted by Keynesian economists as well,[15] who refer to it as "exporting one's way out of a recession". They further note that this frequently occurs in concert with currency devaluation[16] (hence increasing exports and decreasing imports), and cannot work as a solution to a global problem, because the global economy is a closed system – not every nation can increase net exports.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
It got shanghaid !

That was funny.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #38

I really like the 2 hour mid day trading break on the Shanghai exchange. Nothing like a good liquid lunch to get you going for a grueling second half.

? Did the NYSE ever have am and pm trading sessions ?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
An 18th century Chinese Emperor enjoyed the shopping experience
in a southern town so much he had a similar shopping street complete with
shopkeepers built in his own Summer Palace grounds in Beijing. I
visited the modern reconstruction several years ago and I recall
buying some ice cream from one of the shops...

From. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_palace.

Suzhou Street (苏州街; 蘇州街; Sūzhōujiē): In 1762, after returning from touring the Jiangnan region, the Qianlong Emperor ordered the construction of a shopping street resembling Shantang Street in Suzhou. The street was destroyed by the British and French in 1860 and was only restored in 1988.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #40

Came across this on you tube, was a egghead economist ( oxymoron ? )talk from feb 2015. Kind of dry, only made it through the first speaker. Got an idea of where a lot of the US QE3 money ended up, and how it contributed to the housing bubble in China

Enjoy, better than a sleeping pill