Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
I meant to say I won't buy any ADDITIONAL stocks unless the cape ratio moves back towards it's long term avg.

The fact that it has only been below it's avg once since 1991 seems like some kind of a sign to me. Have stocks been living in an overvalued world all this time?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
In this thread
Using Shiller PE to Time the Market the idea of altering behavior based on shiller PE. At first I was not convinced I could act on this, but a few months ago, when it triggered one of the few sell signals of the past century, I did find a way to take action...one that I could live with. The action was to adjust from an age appropriate asset allocation (actually one for a slightly younger person) to one of an 80 year old. If I live to see the buy trigger, I'll shift back to an age appropriate allocation again. This way, I can say at least I did something in response to the historically high PE. And if it never drops and "this time it's different", then, well, I'll justify it as insurance. That's nowhere near as drastic as saying " I've won" and taking all my assets off the table.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #62

Quote:
I meant to say I won't buy any ADDITIONAL stocks unless the cape ratio moves back towards it's long term avg.

The fact that it has only been below it's avg once since 1991 seems like some kind of a sign to me. Have stocks been living in an overvalued world all this time?
I'm not an accountant nor an auditor but there are significant changes in how the E is computed in CAPE so that historical values aren't directly equivalent to today. For example, goodwill is now tested for impairment every year instead of amortized over multiple years. I can imagine that other changes in auditing standards might make a huge difference as well.

There are also many other structural reasons to think a historical CAPE value is not directly comparable to today:

Swedroe: Key Market Value Metric Outdated | ETF.com

The author (Swedroe) thinks that the cumulative effect of all these changes might make the historical CAPE of 16 roughly equivalent to a CAPE of 20 today. I've seen other experts also talk about these same issues but don't recall seeing anyone else put a real number on the size of the effect (e.g. 20/16 = 25% inflation in CAPE).

Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There probably is some merit to that line of thought. Goodwill amortization is no longer. Pension expenses and retiree health insurance benefits are recognized (vs not). Stock compensation expense is drastically different. Many others.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I don't know, but hope that Swedroe is right. Else, the portfolio shrinkage will not bankrupt me, but surely will cramp my style or what is left of it.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

If we revert back to the cape 10 average ratio, S&P 500 will be 1310. A sobering prospect.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #66

Quote:
If we revert back to the cape 10 average ratio, S&P 500 will be 1310. A sobering prospect.

As long as earnings hold up I'm fine with that. Dividend yields will increase to >5%, some solid companies paying out 10%+. Not bad if inflation stays within fed target of 2%.

Guess that's why it won't happen ..
Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dividend stocks. Good and steady payers. Got a big surprise with fund distributions kicking me into a bad tax situation, I.e. AMT.
Only by individual stocks now am building a portfolio with 4% or higher yields. Taking advantage of the market downturn to do so.

Tom C

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #68

What would you buy if another 2008 happened?

Depends if it happens before July I'd buy more equities with earnings if it happens after I'd do some rebalancing and buy more equities. I suspect it rill work out just fine

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #69

Quote:

Why, are you selling? It is a buying opportunity.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Rayinpenn : I am buying S&P 500 index fund. It is a No Brainer, because it is practically guaranteed to go back up eventually if you do not sell. Although if you buy a single stock, or a single concentrated active mutual fund-they could go to zero and never come back. Remember in 00'-02' some tech stocks and Van Waggoner tech funds were completely wiped out, and never came back! S&P 500 will always come back up eventually.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Why, are you selling? It is a buying opportunity.

Who said anything about selling? I wouldn't dream of it.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got a dream list up & GTC orders in, so if 2008 happens hopefully I'll get some. List includes more of what I already have at lower levels and new items. BPL, D, CVX, XOM, VNRB, SCO, DUK, EPD, AVA, & WTR.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If we revert back to the cape 10 average ratio, S&P 500 will be 1310. A sobering prospect.....
S&P 1310 is more likely than me winning Powerball tonight, but still quite unlikely IMO.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
S&P 1310 is more likely than me winning Powerball tonight, but still quite unlikely IMO.

Well if you assume that eventually we will get a bear market, I.e., we have to, and if it was coming soon (we are due) then according to these guys' stats (not opinions ) :

http://blog.gavekalcapital.com/histo...l-bear-market/

"The average performance of a cyclical bear market is -37.5%. Even if we exclude the largest outlier, the 89% drop of the 1929 high, the average performance is still -35%. "

That would put us right at 1300ish. It's really not that unlikely.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

My T/A (technical analysis) buddies over M* are discussing several models that predict S&P sell off to around 1570 in 2016. Different gurus giving numbers including ranges like 1525-1615. The posters seem to think this likely. They are a somewhat pessimistic bunch.

1570 would be about an 18% drop from Friday's level of 1922, and a 26% drop from the closing high of 2131 on 5/21/15.

1705 is enough to get the S&P500 into official bear market territory (20% down) from the closing high on 5/21/15.

26% down is not nearly as bad of a bear market as 2008, but still a full bear, and sobering.

If this happened, I would be rebalancing from my bond funds to stocks, as well as tax loss harvesting where I could and buying similar funds.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes for us do what we did in 2008. Rebalance and turn noise off so I can sleep. 20 months retired. Great forum thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

There are also many other structural reasons to think a historical CAPE value is not directly comparable to today:

Swedroe: Key Market Value Metric Outdated | ETF.com

The author (Swedroe) thinks that the cumulative effect of all these changes might make the historical CAPE of 16 roughly equivalent to a CAPE of 20 today. I've seen other experts also talk about these same issues but don't recall seeing anyone else put a real number on the size of the effect (e.g. 20/16 = 25% inflation in CAPE).
SWEDROE is a very strong advocate of always investing in the market, while he likes index funds he wants you to pay him 1% to manage your index funds while criticizing managed funds as not worthy. Now to his main argument - The Federal Reserve and the SEC and the excellent work they do have restricted large volatility resulting in a 25% increase in the value of the stock market because company earnings are now more sure. Now this is stated as we have the largest drop to start a year in the history of the stock market - ever. 8 of the largest single day percentage drops, including the largest ever have happened in the last 30 years.

His argument is also that real growth in the economy is much more assured and as such we should have an increased PE ratio for that, yet this recovery is the slowest growth in GDP in history, shouldn't slower real growth mean a lower PE not higher PE. In 2007 GDP was 15 Trillion 8 years later it is 16.4 Trillion a nine percent gain. In 1929 GDP was 1 trillion 8 years later it was 5 percent higher at 1.11 trillion. The truth is our economy is recovering no better than it did during the greatest depression of all time. Commodities are in an all time slide in price, none of what he is saying makes any sense but sounds good and believable. It is what a manager says to keep his client herd in the pen.

The worst start to a year in the stock market must mean something after a historic collapse in commodity prices, which were presaged by historic collapses in shipping rates which has led to lower shipping costs and leading to overcapacity in China now ready to sell goods at ever lower prices in the United States. On the top of all this is a population that is aging in the United States and less able every year to do as Johnathan Clements feels they should be able to do: cheer declining stock prices as they need 4 percent of their portfolio every year.

If there is another 2008, it will not be 2008 it will be an S&P 500 at 670 with the federal reserve holding 4 trillion in useless debt and the government bankrupt and the percentage of the population working coming into untenable percentage of the population. This will be an interesting year.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems like even more doom and gloom then even I was thinking.

I think I'll review my books on Preppers, and figure out how to preserve gasoline.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #79
gone traveling

GE APPLE

Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
SWEDROE is a very strong advocate of always investing in the market, while he likes index funds he wants you to pay him 1% to manage your index funds while criticizing managed funds as not worthy. Now to his main argument - The Federal Reserve and the SEC and the excellent work they do have restricted large volatility resulting in a 25% increase in the value of the stock market because company earnings are now more sure. Now this is stated as we have the largest drop to start a year in the history of the stock market - ever. 8 of the largest single day percentage drops, including the largest ever have happened in the last 30 years.

His argument is also that real growth in the economy is much more assured and as such we should have an increased PE ratio for that, yet this recovery is the slowest growth in GDP in history, shouldn't slower real growth mean a lower PE not higher PE. In 2007 GDP was 15 Trillion 8 years later it is 16.4 Trillion a nine percent gain. In 1929 GDP was 1 trillion 8 years later it was 5 percent higher at 1.11 trillion. The truth is our economy is recovering no better than it did during the greatest depression of all time. Commodities are in an all time slide in price, none of what he is saying makes any sense but sounds good and believable. It is what a manager says to keep his client herd in the pen.
And yet this whole thread is filled with posts about what people would buy if a drop like 2008 repeated. Almost everyone would pile into equities it seems. This attitude toward market bears is everywhere on this board and the standard advice here is just to rebalance, carry on, nothing to see, life is normal, the market will recover. How could this be so unless we were supremely confident in our financial systems?

As for Swedroe, he is fairly predictable and typically follows academic research -- if he advocates for something, generally there's good evidence for it and multiple independent studies that back it. I personally find this very helpful because I don't have the time or inclination to read everything myself AND I think he has a good head for identifying potential issues like publication bias, survivor bias, multiple-testing bias, modeling gotchas, etc. I know some people aren't fans of academic research in finance, but I think even though a ton of crap gets published (Sturgeon's law applies), the process as a whole is pretty robust.

Quote:
The worst start to a year in the stock market must mean something after a historic collapse in commodity prices, which were presaged by historic collapses in shipping rates which has led to lower shipping costs and leading to overcapacity in China now ready to sell goods at ever lower prices in the United States. On the top of all this is a population that is aging in the United States and less able every year to do as Johnathan Clements feels they should be able to do: cheer declining stock prices as they need 4 percent of their portfolio every year.
Perhaps this is true. But sometimes a bad run of luck is just that.

Quote:
If there is another 2008, it will not be 2008 it will be an S&P 500 at 670 with the federal reserve holding 4 trillion in useless debt and the government bankrupt and the percentage of the population working coming into untenable percentage of the population. This will be an interesting year.
FWIW Swedroe is actually forecasting low expected returns for US equities. A deep bear would be consistent with that.