where are the gold threads?

Search for How do I buy gold? in the Permanent Portfolio Gold FAQ at crawlingroad.com.

If you have additional questions you can ask the friendly people in the PP forum on that site.

Thanks. Its funny that people will pay several percent above the spot price for a shiny circulated coin. Its like a mutual fund's front end load. You don't get that back on the sell side. I'm looking for the Vanguard of precious metal dealers.

Thanks. Its funny that people will pay several percent above the spot price for a shiny circulated coin. Its like a mutual fund's front end load. You don't get that back on the sell side. I'm looking for the Vanguard of precious metal dealers.

Well he did ask about coins.

To avoid that problem you can buy kilobars. Premium is MUCH lower than for coins. I know a good dealer in Belgium, but I suppose you're looking for a US source. :)

The really fancy coins have a huge premium and should be considered collectors items. If you buy a gold or silver certificate you can avoid the premium, but it doesn't look as pretty.

But does this mean you own some physical gold? I thought all the long time posters here were anti-gold?

Does Acapulco gold count? :LOL:

Nope, no gold here. But our cleanroom staff orders gold for evaporating and/or sputtering, but it's either gold shot or 2" x 0.25" disks. And it's kept in the safe when not in use.

But does this mean you own some physical gold? I thought all the long time posters here were anti-gold?

I don't think there are many possters that are 'ant-gold'.
I think there are many posters that are anti-sell-all-your-stock-and-buy-all-gold-it-is-all-a-government-conspiracy panicking and hyperventilating.

Well, you aren't going to find it. How is the dealer supposed to make a living without a markup? Vanguard makes its living off fees levied on balances, coin dealers make their living off markups. There may be cheaper vs. more expensive dealers though.

Ha

I qualify as a long time poster, and I am not anti-gold. I would not necessarily buy it at today's price, but that is a detail. I own a few coins since 1976 or so, they are very pretty. I owned gold shares several times, most recently from 2000 or so to about 2004.

Ha

Not anti gold, hope to buy some someday when it is cheaper. I had a few coins from my Dad which I have been selling as I think the price is high/right. I have a coin dealer that pays me the spot price for the coin (which is a little higher than just by weight ) when I call him or when we check a web site I trust for the spot price when I am in his store. Evidently he has a bunch of buyers lined up. I tried several jewelers and 'gold' places but they either do not have the same set up as the coin dealer or they are trying to make a profit off both the buy and the sell. So far gold has gone up a bit since I sold but I knew that could happen, haven't lost any money on the gold. The stock (VT) I bought with the proceeds has declined very slightly but I plan to hold it a long time. And it pays some small dividends.

Q: "Where are the gold threads?"

A: In the laundry, if you must know, since I wore them yesterday... :whistle:

To further my career as a prognosticator, I will begin to buy gold puts this week. I'll buy GLD puts and probably puts on the mini-gold future (ZG, or whatever it's called now).

This coincides with an article in The Economist this week; I think I also wrote something waaayyyy back in this thread that I would begin buying puts sometime this summer. But I could be lying.

Competitve currency devaluations seem to be driving up the prices of commodities.

Is gold the answer? If not, how do you protect yourself?

Back
Top Bottom