1 week in London next April - seeking suggestions

How did the busyness, burnout factor work out for your group?

I'm heading to London with a large group of family ranging from 19 to 63,we all got condos in the same building which means pretty much all our waking hours together.We then throw in about a dozen UK based cousins and our 80 YO Aunt who is the reason for the trip.

My DS already has my head spinning with all the outings she has planned. I hope our family motto of "everything is voluntary and no one has to anything" holds up with so many people involved.

How did the busyness, burnout factor work out for your group?

I'm heading to London with a large group of family ranging from 19 to 63,we all got condos in the same building which means pretty much all our waking hours together.We then throw in about a dozen UK based cousins and our 80 YO Aunt who is the reason for the trip.

My DS already has my head spinning with all the outings she has planned. I hope our family motto of "everything is voluntary and no one has to anything" holds up with so many people involved.

I think we did ok with the busyness factor - the plan ahead of time was for the kids to see tons of sights which we accomplished. One challenge was because my DB and SIL were new to traveling and intimidated by the tube system they didn't want to venture out on their own at all. I made a point from the beginning to point out all the directions/tube stops we were going to so they would feel more confident. We stuck together for the first 5 out of 7 days, but then I wrote out directions for tube stops and circled them on a map so they could do some things on their own. DB seemed surprised at how easy it was to get around and they really enjoyed their time untethered.

I found that the kids, ages 12 and 14 wanted to spend tons of time in souvenir shops and taking pictures, including lots of selfies.

What part of town will you be staying in?

We are in a small RCI property right on the river by the Southwark area, off the beaten path, my unit has a balcony overlooking the river. A little longer walk or a quick bus ride to the tube, but less then 5 minutes on foot to the Thames Clipper. Family lives down by Croyden so on the same side of the river. Everyone except the 19 YO has made multiple trips to London, so I hope we can pick and choose things over trying to do everything.

Very close the the London Eye is an underground museum of the cabinet war rooms..absolutely fascinating and that one is worth the price of admission especially for military history buffs.

I was in London this past spring but didn't get to the war rooms but plan to next trip.

Also of potential interest to military history buffs:

1. The already mentioned Imperial War Museum
2. The Blitz Walking Tour
3. HMS Belfast (WW2/Korea era Navy cruiser anchored in the Thames.)

London Eye is touristy and costly but definitely worth doing on a nice clear day. I bought a combo ticket for both day and night so I went twice on the same day.

Yes, ride on the eye both day and night.

See a "football match" at an old school stadium ( crystal palace )

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom