Assistance in planning air/rail component - US, London, Amsterdam, Cruise, Italy?

Save your 'rail time' for traveling through the Alps to Italy.

If you are traveling by rail in Italy be aware of the pricing and options on Trenitalia. You can sometimes fine the same journey, same general timeframe and duration on different trains to have differing prices. Especially for shorter trips.

You also need to keep a close eye on your bags on the train. And beware of any 'helpers' who kindly offer to assist you in bringing your bags on board. Chances are they are helping themselves to your bags. It is one reason why we only travel with carry on only.

Long ago we once took a train from Milan to Nuremberg, brief stop in Zurich. Beautiful clear day on the Italy side. Clouded over in Zurich. Fantastic scenery! Wow!

Thanks, Brett - will try and got to LGW since is closer to our friends, but still TBD.

Hi All,

Looks like nonstop BOS to LGW is possible with either JetBlue or NorseAtlantic. Norse and 1/2-2/3 of JetBlue price and very basic, but 787 Dreamliners. JetBlue is 767.

Then if flew from LGW to AMS would be either BA or EasyJet - prices somewhat comparable.

Anyone tried Norse? I could do this ... but a couple of burgers at BOS and a couple of beers on board ... 6+45 long so not bad ...

Must make decisions soon ... latest "flow" on bottom of thread. Trying to show thought process so others might benefit! Getting more and more complicated, though.

Please keep the advice and experiences coming! :)

What has changed:

1. BOS-LGW - waay better than to LHR, but limited flights and carriers.
- JetBlue (nonstop 767) - 1822 departure so plenty of time to get to BOS from southern Maine. $520 per person (includes checked bag) or $432 (Blue Basic - includes “Each customer with a Blue Basic fare is allowed one personal item (purse, small backpack, briefcase, laptop, etc.) that fits under the seat in front of you. A carry-on bag is not allowed and cannot be brought on board. The only exceptions are the following: …. Customers traveling to/from U.K./Europe …” So, lower price of $432 should meet our needs,
- NorseAtlantic (nonstop 787) - 2100 departure, $187 (small underseat bag only)/$277 (Economy Classic) with checked bag and carry on), $296 (Premium Light) carryon, small underseat, 2 meal service, $386 (Premium Classic) with checked bag and carry on and underseat, with two meal services). This is interesting in that at least it is clear what you get, and is cheaper - with same service (I think), in a newer airplane. And, you help keep competition going! Anyone flown with Norse?

2. Good advice offered to fly from LGW to AMS - we’re beginning to think is absolutely right. Put the train time off (see 2., below). Flight options:
- EasyJet has multiple flights (0805, 1310, 1499, 1455, 1510, 1555, 1730, 1840, 2005). Base rate is £33 but a roll on overhead bag is it £17 so cheaper on BA?
- BA has a 0710 departure and a 1805 departure - both £42 (this “appears” to offer one roll on and one carry on - any can confirm from experience?)

3. Take the good advice offered and train to Italy (Milano?) following cruise-included tours in Lucerne area - instead of flying to Brindisi from Basel or Zurich. There is a direct from Luzern to Milano … one night is not much, but we do want to join up with our friends in Monopoly - and we have agriturismo reservation already. However, the next train leg is still a long train day due to getting off the high speed lines, but it does offer a chance to see a lot of Italy we would not normally see? There apparently are "scenic trains” but these take longer and have multiple transfers? Advice on which train and where to stay in Milano (especially given we are there one night only)?

4. Or, given the 8-10 hours to Monopoli via train from Milano, perhaps EasyJet from Milano (MXP) to Brindisi (BDS) for €34 plus €22 for a roll on cabin bag. The train to Monopoli or rent car in Brindisi?

Flow
- Fly Florida to Boston - American looks best for us from PNS
- Drive to Maine and stay four nights
- Drive back to Boston and with either JetBlue or NorseAtlantic to LGW
- Stay in UK with friends for five nights who live about 30 min from LGW (they said would pick us up and drop off!)
- Fly from LGW to AMS (our friends confirmed this is exactly what they would do)
- Two nights in Amsterdam (I used points to make resv at the Hilton Doubletree near Centraal train terminal and cruise departure). This looks to be walkable from Centraal to hotel, and hotel to cruise departure - can anyone confirm, please?
- Cruise departure from Amsterdam
- Cruise arrival Basel
- Bus to Lucerne for two nights (paid for and part of "cruise”)
- Train to Milano? Someone has done this? Looks like lots of train options. Direct is easy, and might be panoramic enough?
- Train to Monopoli? Long time, but more fun? Fly MXP to BDS, instead?
- Couple more stops including three nights in Naples
- Train to Rome for better connections to US than from Naples? (friends returning from Naples, but they have better connections to Denver)

We are taking a 12 night cruise from Rotterdam ending in Amsterdam in August. We always make sure we arrive several days early--especially now with potential delays, etc. (and strikes sometimes in Europe). We are staying two nights at the front end in Amsterdam and three nights outside Amsterdam on the tail end.

Then we are flying to London for three nights on British Air one way to London into LCY airport. It's a much smaller airport for short flights. I've never been in that airport but according to Tripadvisor it is much easier to navigate and easier to get to the touristy hotels in London.

We're just taking an Uber from LCY to our London hotel although there are cheaper/quicker ways (as long as you know what you are doing and I don't want to deal with that).

We are flying AA both ways MCO-AMS and LGW-MCO. I know that Norse had much cheaper flights but I'm concerned that they are pretty new and I'm not sure they will financially make it. I did fly Norwegian Air several times (similar business model) with no problems but they did not survive covid for long haul flights.

Arrgh ... so, more potential options?

Was hard as long as we departed home from Naples - if I changed that to Rome (FCO) things go easier, so we may leave our travel group on the transit out of Monopoli (our last five days are there).

So, maybe, starting with flying to Bari vs train to Milan (we'll catch Milan on another core Italy trip).

- Fly to Bari from Basel or Zurich?
- Rental car to agriturismo and keep until leaving in two weeks.
- Train to Rome Termini and then train to FCO (can connect from Monopoli to Frecce in Bari or just grab the direct train from Bari) for way better connections to US than from Naples.
- Stay overnight at the onsite Hilton or the "Air Rooms Rome Airport by HelloSky"
- Walk into terminal the next morning

Arrgh ... so, more potential options?

Was hard as long as we departed home from Naples - if I changed that to Rome (FCO) things go easier, so we may leave our travel group on the transit out of Monopoli (our last five days are there).

So, maybe, starting with flying to Bari vs train to Milan (we'll catch Milan on another core Italy trip).

- Fly to Bari from Basel or Zurich?
- Rental car to agriturismo and keep until leaving in two weeks.
- Train to Rome Termini and then train to FCO (can connect from Monopoli to Frecce in Bari or just grab the direct train from Bari) for way better connections to US than from Naples.
- Stay overnight at the onsite Hilton or the "Air Rooms Rome Airport by HelloSky"
- Walk into terminal the next morning

Flying to Bari would be the most efficient. The train from Luzern goes directly to the Zurich airport, and that is the airport with the most destinations in Switzerland. (I was an expat in Switzerland). You could also see Zurich, although my favorite trip in that area is actually to the Jungfrau.

Your plan for driving to Monopoli sounds good. My neighbor goes every year as she has a friend with a house there. I would not however recommend driving into Napoli. Driving in the countryside is a joy --- I cannot say the same for in and around cities like Roma, Napoli, Milano, Catania. Take a train into centrale and transfer to your destination -- Napoli, the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento is a good transit base) --- or hire a driver.

Hi All.

Well … lots of changes!

- Delta to BOS for four days in Brunswick, Maine
- Norse Atlantic BOS direct LGW for five days with friends south of London in Crowborough (Norse was way cheaper - like $700 for two with upgrades to extra room - and food ... ya need to be prepared for Norse according to the press)
- EasyJet LGW direct AMS with an extra night prior to river cruise (thought we would give our English friends a break)
- At the end of the cruise, an extra night in Lucerne to align with availability of first location outside Marina Franca
- Train in one day to Bari Centrale (long story, but agriturismo not available on 5 Oct, so would need to delay one day somewhere - AND, only airline direct to Bari was only on 5th - other airlines took as long as the train with layovers - this way we get to see (hopefully) some of the Alps and a LOT of Italy - change train in Milan)
- Driver from Bari to Truli il Castagno near Martina Franca for four days
- Double up with two other couples in two cars holding luggage from Truli to Old Town Monopoli for five days
- Train from Monopoli to Roma Termini (5 hours) and then Leonardo train to FCO
- Night at on site FCO hotel
- Delta back to PNS next day - one stop in ATL

Last edited:
I think 31 total from home, but about 25 in Europe.

Wanted to attend a military reunion in Brunswick, Maine - about only way to make all work was to keep stringing it all together!

The toughest thing to do was to lock down the return flight - given the various components. We delayed too long and it cost a few hundred bucks - and I hate airlines' anyway - and, after boarding the CEOs have a video thanking you for your loyaltyl

I love training - but, have not done a lot - but OMG it is so pleasant to skip the airlines' ethics issues.

Back
Top Bottom