1st Time Vegas

Grew up there on Nellis AFB. Went back recently; it doesn't look anything like when I was there.

Anyway, we drove through on a whim and stayed the night during mid-week. The Paris gave us a king with a view and two bathrooms for $60.

If you're there and not in it for the gambling, then check out the Hoover Dam (make absolutely sure you go on the full tour where they take you down), Red Rock Canyon, and Valley of Fire. You could stop at Lake Meade when you're done with the Hoover.

If you stay on Nellis, you might get a chance to see the Thunderbirds practice (they're still stationed there, right?). I actually liked going to the Blue Angel shows more simply because we saw the Birds every day.

I am not a gambler, but love the shows, love the food, and love to hike Red Rock Canyon. I have stayed in the MGM, the Paris, and the Bellagio. Loved each one of them at the time I was there. Food was expensive, but good (awesome buffet at the Bellaggio) and it is much cheaper at lunch than dinner (eat an early 4:30 dinner and it is much cheaper).
Also, if you enjoy hiking, you can hike Red Rock Canyon on your own, or I found a wonderful guide at Hike This! Las Vegas - Guided Hiking in Southern Nevada. He took me to places I would never have found, and pointed out features of Red Rock Canyon that I would not known.
Hoover Dam is a must see, but get there early before all of the tour buses show up. Fountains at the Bellaggio are worth seeing, as are the shops in Caesars Forum, and the shops in the Venetian.
It is a fun town, you can find fun places to go and do if you look for them.

Back
Top Bottom