5 weeks Australia/New Zealand

OK thanks.

We decided to add a week, so 3 and 3. I found a pretty good itinerary on line for 3 weeks in Australia. We will adapt it to our interests.

We are on an 2 month road trip, but will start nailing all of this down when we get back.

Did you take that yourself from a plane?
That one was a web photo. Here are some I took...
33273273182_1a7cb95a23_z.jpg

33388560756_12bec04aa6_z.jpg

4719510786_fdbb802cd8_z.jpg

4719512050_f498134082_b.jpg

Only the locals use cars. All the tourists [and a lot of locals] use bicycles. We're going back in December for 14 days.

Last edited:
For those considering New Zealand as a destination, you may find this current article from Bloomberg of interest. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-maori-hall-as-tourists-overwhelm-new-zealand
The basic message is that NZ is enjoying way too much success with its tourist trade and many of its attractions are swamped with crowds. Apparently, many of the more rural areas are struggling with such basic services as their sewage systems failing due to the increase load from tourists.
Article also implies travelers pay close attention to their reservations as there is very little slack in the system for hick-ups in arrivals. One group got to spend a night in Maori conference room on floor mats when there was a problem when their flight back to the states was delayed.

Hotels in popular places are an issue (queenstown! => avoid)

Take a tent with you, or go even a bit adventurous: you've got the whole beach for yourself.

We love New Zealand.

We did our dream trip back in 2014 and combined with Western Australia (we had lived in Sydney for a year so already saw a lot of the East Coast).

You can read our day by day travel blog here:

The BIG adventure – Adventures in Austria

Overall the trip was totally amazing, we loved both the North and the South Island and the only part we didn't like was Rotorua (too touristy).

Thanks so much for the article, and the trip report. We would not stay long in tourist areas, just not shoppers, and dislike crowds. Also planning to go off season which we always do.

Thanks so much for the article, and the trip report. We would not stay long in tourist areas, just not shoppers, and dislike crowds. Also planning to go off season which we always do.
If you're considering hiking in the Alpine regions, be aware in off season these can become impassable due to weather.

+1 on that. Basically the morning before you go in the park stop by the local ISites. They have the latest intel.

Several areas actually force you to do that .. unprepared tourists have died and gotten lost in the past.

+1 on that. Basically the morning before you go in the park stop by the local ISites. They have the latest intel.

Several areas actually force you to do that .. unprepared tourists have died and gotten lost in the past.
They have much less support in their winter months so it is much more on your own. Many of the great walks go thru alpine regions. Look at kepler.

From what I'm reading of over tourism, I'm considering skipping another visit to NZ. I really enjoyed our first visit.

We spent 3 weeks in NZ at the end of 2015: drove from Auckland to Wellington via Rotorua and Napier; flight to Christchurch, drive to Queenstown, West Coast, and back to ChCh; flight back to Auckland ending with 3 days in the Coromandel. Stayed at baches and B&Bs with the exception of the last night. Rented our cars through Apex and had no issues whatsoever.

We never felt rushed or hurried, but were glad we took 3 weeks as opposed to 2. Were there places we didn't get to or wish we had more time at? Absolutely. Would we do it again/go back? In a heartbeat!

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help -

Back
Top Bottom