5 weeks Australia/New Zealand

BellBarbara

Recycles dryer sheets
Since we will not go to Africa this year, we will go to AUS/NZ late fall. The plan is for 5 weeks. 2 weeks AUS, 3 weeks NZ. NZ is more our style.

Anyone do this trip? Plan is to rent car, stay in hotels/B&B. Not into caravans as my husband is not mechanical.

I realize we will likely have to fly in AUS between locations. We are more mountain/lake/hiking people than beach but would be a shame not to see the reef. So maybe Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne. Would we hate ourselves for skipping Ayers Rock?

NZL we would plan to drive the length of the two.

Thoughts? Should we make it 6 weeks?

OZ...Big country...in two weeks, even with 'only' four cities you'd spend a lot of time checking in/out of accommodations, packing/unpacking, heading to/from airports, waiting in airports...yadda yadda yadda.

Other than that, it's been 51 years since I was there, so really no suggestions.

Never been, but I've always wanted to. Have a great trip, I'm jealous.

I went to Uluru / Ayers Rock on my 2nd trip to Australia (or was it the 3rd trip?). I've been to Brisbane and would choose Uluru before Brisbane. I flew to Ayers Rock from Brisbane, rented a car and hiked around there for 2.5 days. Many Australians don't go there. Since you stated you are mountain/hiking people, then you would regret not going to there and including hikes in Kata Tjuta.

Another classic thing is to drive from Melbourne on the Great Ocean Road down to the Twelve Apostles and back with stops along the way. One could make a long day of it if one had a local help you get to all the good spots.

You may wish to see Healesville Sanctuary near Melbourne, too.

Last edited:
Great suggestions! Thanks.

We travel light, it is our style. One small roller per person. So not worried about packing. We traveled this way through Italy and Spain, one pair of shoes. Of course we do not plan anything fancy/upscale. The most upscale we get is khakis and a clean shirt!

Maybe add a third week in Aus? I know most people are crazy for the beaches, but we are not beach people at all. We would go for a day, spend a few hours, leave. We do enjoy driving down the coast so the drive sounds great.

We spent several weeks in Oz and plan to go back again for an extended trip. It is a huge country. We did not even make it inland,

Flew to Gold Coast Airport. Rental car to Sydney with stops in between. Several days in Port MacQuarrie. Time in Sydney. Then another rental to Melbourne/Great Ocean RoAd. Also spent time in Adalaide and Perth.

My suggestion for two weeks would be to focus on one or two a Areas instead of trying to flit around to all the spots.

In NZ, we enjoyed the South Island better than the North if you are limited on time.

Our favorite quaint town in the South Island was Queenstown. The boat tour on the Milford Sound in Te Anau was pretty. Hiking in Abel Tasman. Kaikoura dolphin watching boat trips.

On the North Island, we liked the town of Mount Maunganui - glow worm tour. Paihia quaint Oceanside town far north - dolphin watching.

In Australia, Port Douglas was our favorite town - resorts, restaurants, great barrier reef tours. Near Cairns, we took a cruise to Michaelmas Cay and Fitzroy Island for some nice snorkeling. Kuranda did rain forest hike. White river rafting on Barron River was fun. Daintree had oldest rain forest.

Check schedule because certain time of year, there are stingers (jelly fish) and you cannot swim in the ocean without stinger suits.

Spent two months in Australia fall 2016. Loved everything! Since you are hikers, have you considered Tasmania? It is an easy flight from Melbourne to Launceston or Hobart. The national parks there are lovely and all accommodations in lodges and small towns were good. I especially liked the western side of the island which is beautiful rainforest. I was on a walking tour for that portion of the trip which also included some hikes near The Great Ocean Road, again well worth getting out of cities and off into nature.

We spent almost a month in OZ last Feb. Enjoyed close to week in Sydney from where we took transit to Blue Mtns, drove from Sydney via Canberra (Capital of Aus and lots of museums on history of Aus)on to Melbourne from where we flew to Tasmania for 8 days. Since you are mtn people really encourage you check out the incredible parks on Tasmania--Cradle Mtn NP is outstanding. Almost half or more of Tasmania is national parks. We flew back to Melbourne and drove the Great Ocean Hwy (think HWy 101 to Big Sur) to Barossa Valley for some outstanding wine. We finished up with almost a week in Adelaide. PM me if you want recommendations for great B&B in Hobart and N.Tasmania. We spent 4 days in Hobart as our base for S Tasmania exploring.
Frankly given the size difference, Aus will reward you if you add a week there. Much more diversity than NZ which I think is great but offering not nearly as many options. Note up thread on Ayers Rock--nothing really like it NZ.

Spent three weeks between Oz & NZ in 2015. Glad I went to see what I was missing. That said, I didn't find anything so spectacular that it beats other places like the American West & Alaska (Well OK, koala bears, roos, & platypuses.). I'd spend six months touring those first.

Attached is our trip story of our cruise to NZ and OZ The Sydney Bridge Climb, Blue Mountains, and Featherdale Animal Park are not to be missed.

Attachments

• WONDER DOWN UNDER 2010.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
FWIW, We have 2 months between diving Fiji in early May and snorkeling with Tongan humpbacks in late July 2018--decided insufficient time to do Australia... We'll go back when we have sufficient time to devote to it (in 1990, we were there for three weeks, which was a joke).

By late fall, do you mean late fall northern hemisphere or southern? If the latter, the five weeks in NZ should be enough time to enjoy. (If the former, the south island is going to be chilly)

The extra week would definitely be better. We traveled for a total of 7 months in Australia these past two years and still haven't seen it all. Driving from Cairns to Melbourne is probably similar to driving from Quebec to Texas.....on a two lane highway, so flying would be smart. Beautiful gorge hikes near Uluru, but if you are not crazy about deserts, maybe ok to skip (similar to Zion National Park). If you want to get a really good feel for the aboriginals...a true Australian experience, then I would suggest flying in/out of Alice Springs then take a tour to do Kings Canyon (Uluru hike isn't great). Victoria has amazing mountains.....Victorian Alps and the highest mountain in Victoria can be a worthwhile day hike...straight up and down. Great Ocean Road is beautiful and has great day hikes. NSW - Blue Mountains also has beautiful hikes overlooking the ocean...even if you don't like beaches, beautiful scenery as well. Of course, Kosciuszko Nation Park in Canberra is a must given your interest. Weather in areas you are interested in should be good, but worth double checking....each one will be different. PM if we can help further. Enjoy!

Thank you!

Attached is our trip story of our cruise to NZ and OZ The Sydney Bridge Climb, Blue Mountains, and Featherdale Animal Park are not to be missed.

Thanks for sharing your story! I really enjoyed reading it and seeing your photos! The bridge climb looks amazing!!

Last edited:
In NZ, we enjoyed the South Island better than the North if you are limited on time.

Our favorite quaint town in the South Island was Queenstown. The boat tour on the Milford Sound in Te Anau was pretty. Hiking in Abel Tasman. Kaikoura dolphin watching boat trips.

On the North Island, we liked the town of Mount Maunganui - glow worm tour. Paihia quaint Oceanside town far north - dolphin watching.

My views: I was in NZ about six weeks last year, rented a car and stayed mostly in these - great value. Note that they are geared towards shared accommodation but they all have lovely people/owners running them and a great atmosphere (except in the main centers like Auckland and Wellington).
https://www.bbh.co.nz/ If you do go to Te Anau, try and stay with Bob and Maxine. They probably won't remember me but they are fantastic people. Bob really helps you with hiking planning and such.

I haven't seen even 50%, could easily spend many months there.

+1 on the South Island, however consider Wanaka instead of Queenstown. It's more laid back. If you like hiking anywhere is good, walking around Te Anau and doing a great walk or two is a no-brainer. However, these tend to be booked full (for good reason) in peak season. Great Walks: Tracks and walks .If you have a tent, spots are easier to get. Watch out for bringing outdoor equipment with you though.

Everything is supereasy and well marked. Don't plan too much ahead with the exception of the great walks if you choose to. iSites tourist center is there to help you in every little town.

A flyover of Milford Sound is great (from Te Anau, Queenstown or Wanaka), and if you can stay overnight there. It's amazing. Beware the sandflies: think mosquitoes but by day and very aggressive. They don't come out at night. The weather is very fickle in this area, keep that in mind. Fiordland has insane rainfall.

The glaciers are underwhelming since they melted. Ok to skip. Glow worms are everywhere btw, so if you miss the advertised spots ask around. On many multi-day walks there are glow worm spots closeby, ask the ranger.

One neat thing not mentioned often: if you see a turnoff to a lighthouse, go there! There's usually alot of wildlife to be seen, penguins, walruses etc .. Especially on the east side of the south Island (Catlins and above).

East of Christchurch you have Akaroa. Fantastic for dolphins and great atmosphere in summer. There also is a penguin wildlife sanctuary, well worth it.

Just a few things. Oh, and if you hire a car: get your reservation in early enough. Prices go up insanely and NZ is in a huge tourism boom (deservedly).

Last edited:
We're big fans of AU and NZ. My wife and I particularly love this glorious piece of World Heritage real estate, Lord Howe Island. Our happy place. It's on your way from AU TO NZ....part of NSW.
AUS_NSW_313_20071024_BR.jpg

We've only done NZ and only for a 2 week trip. We each packed our backpacks... nothing else. We did two of the great walks on the South Island. I'm not sure if this is your type of hiking, or if you are more or less adventurous.

Next time I do NZ it will likely be for something like 2 months.

We started planning a trip last summer when we determined that an aging parent was going to tie up all our time. What we sorted out was that seeing the reef was sub optimal during the times that I'd be hiking NZ. This was due to jellies and other less than friendly wild life.

So we will plan again for hiking NZ. There are nice hikes on both islands. We have only done them on the south island. We did not rent a car, but used public transport. There is transport to many of the hikes. And better yet, you don't have to concern yourself with a Kea dismantling your rental. But do watch your boots.

This is all so helpful! I need to look at this great walks....very excited to plan this trip. We are super easy going travelers so not too worried about it all coming together.

So we will plan again for hiking NZ. There are nice hikes on both islands. We have only done them on the south island. We did not rent a car, but used public transport. There is transport to many of the hikes.
Our neighbors just returned from NZ. They did a lot of hiking and stayed at places near trail heads. They used public transport and said it was a good way to go.

No need to find parking and they enjoyed walking through some neighborhoods. They said there are mostly 2 lane roads and traffic is slow so a bus is fine. The drivers were easy to work with when they wanted to get off near their destination.

We're big fans of AU and NZ. My wife and I particularly love this glorious piece of World Heritage real estate, Lord Howe Island. Our happy place. It's on your way from AU TO NZ....part of NSW.
AUS_NSW_313_20071024_BR.jpg

Did you take that yourself from a plane?

This is all so helpful! I need to look at this great walks....very excited to plan this trip. We are super easy going travelers so not too worried about it all coming together.

The Sydney area seems to have a lot of infrastructure for walks, especially around coastal areas with paved and wooden tracks.

There's one, just south of Bondi, going down to Coogee. They display some interesting sculptures too.

I also liked the paths north of Bondi, going towards the top of a peninsula with great views of the Sydney skyline. However, I went in early November and there are these things which look like houseflies but swarm all over you and crawl all over your bags, your back, etc. I had to cut my hike short, it was so unbearable. Will pack the Deet sprays next time.

Of course there are more serious hikes for people who want to climb, walk around unpaved tracks. From Christchurch, Lyttleton is a very close drive and there are tracks there overlooking the bay there. Akaroa is a longer drive but it's very well worth it as you see the bay formed from a giant volcanic crater, with surrounding hills. I think they filmed many of the Lord of the Rings films here, which I've never seen.

Wanaka has some serious hikes for people who want to get to the top and look down at the lake.

Queenstown is a must. And you can get the beautiful aerial views by taking the cable car up. There are walks along the lake but you really need a car to get to places like the road to Glenorchy, the road up towards Coronet and the Crown Range.

People go to Kaikoura for the dolphins but I only spent a night there and got great panoramic views at the lookout over the top and the mountains against the bay in the background. Now after the earthquake, the roads might be difficult to access.

Back
Top Bottom