African Safari

When we did a safari in South Africa, no one was too concern by the lions and cheetahs and and such - all well fed.

On the other hand, the only time our guide looked scared was one evening driving toward a watering hole. He spotted some hippos come up the road toward us. There was fear in his eyes. He very quickly turned around and got out of there way!

I finished quickly and sprinted back to the van.

My late wife and I, in a rented car, were driving through Niokolo-Koba National Park in Senegal, heading for the Gambia River that borders Guinea Bisseau...when we saw two Africans walking through the bush carrying a vehicle tire...stopped, threw the tire in the trunk, they sat in back and off to the river we went. Lions? Pshaw! :LOL:

Niokolo-Koba National Park - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Last edited:

Six of us in a flat bottomed boat on the Rufiji River in Tanzania.......the Hippos would submerge as we approached and pop up behind the boat after we went over.....all very convivial.

My late wife asked what action we should take if one of them decided to board......"Get out of the boat!" was the response.......Crocs be damned, (and we saw a few)......brings home the fact that you're tolerated just as long as you don't piss them off...and they get pissed off very easily.

Look at Osprey farpoint 55. REI carries them. Incredibly versatile with detachable day pack

Back
Top Bottom