Using Travel Agents

For us, serendipity outweighs predictability. :)

For us, serendipity outweighs predictability. :)

+1
I've always loved deciding to go somewhere I've never been and just wandering. Preparation is great, and learning what might be worthwhile things to do and see is definitely smart.
But some of my fondest memories are of spur-of-the-moment travels where I had no idea what was in store.

But some of my fondest memories are of spur-of-the-moment travels where I had no idea what was in store.

Yes...I'm not suggesting our way is better, simply that we enjoy the surprises found over the next rise or around the next bend.

Around Wassadougou in Senegal, a local cop flagged us down and deposited a huge Senegalese NCO into the back of our rented car, (guy must've been 250lb, no fat), who was going to Tambacounda.......after going through an area where a forest fire was burning out, inadvertently ignoring a military 'Do Not Enter' sign, (for which the Sarge got a dressing down), we dropped him off.....no predictability there. But certainly a story.

We do a lot of our own bookings but also use specialty agencies with experience in specific destinations, especially if complex, expensive and/or very remote. For example we used TA's for South African safari, Palau diving trip, and several cruises. Don't use TA's if we know the destination well or if it's a simple trip.

My best find in travel recently has been Norwegian Air Shuttle, third largest of the European budget air carriers. They are expanding service into the U.S. as fast as Boeing can supply them with new 787s. And they have the big North American legacy airlines scared with fares half the price of our carriers.

Norwegian offered a Boston to Dublin airfare of $99 and return fares of $243 the other day. They are in Orlando and Ft.Lauderdale and are now expanding to middle America.

We flew them Budapest to Boston in April for $238--a great buy. That was after a 13 day Holland America Repositioning cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to Rome) that cost $40 each per day--another great buy.

My best find in travel recently has been Norwegian Air Shuttle

Flew them from Bergen, Norway to Krakow, Poland....very happy with them.

My best find in travel recently has been Norwegian Air Shuttle
We flew them to Copenhagen for the low $300's one-way from Fort Lauderdale...no problemo. Except that I didn't use a travel agent and booked the air from where the cruise ship returned (NYC) back to Charlotte instead of FLL (where our car was) :facepalm: I'm such an idiot! Yeah, the original plan was to FLY to FLL. So I booked (on points) NYC to CLT. Later I thought, "hell, let's just drive down and hang with my sister before going"....but I forgot to fix the flight. It worked out OK, though...I simply got an $84 ticket on Allegiant to retrieve the car.

Wouldn't have happened if I had a travel agent looking at it!

Back
Top Bottom