African Safari

The Rodent

Recycles dryer sheets
Just booked a 10 day safari in Tanzania for next year.

Tour agency suggests soft sided luggage and no more than 33 lbs. Any recommendations for duffel bag type travel gear? Not likely to be on any very small planes since we fly into JRO then land tour from there.

I suspect some binoculars might also be helpful. I only have a cheapo 7x25, and would be willing to spend a few bucks for something better to enhance the travel experience.. My initial thoughts were an 8x42 or even 10x42. This should keep the price under $200. Any recommendations here?
Thanks in advance for your help.

You definitely want a good pair of binoculars and hopefully a telephoto lens for your camera. I think the Nikon Monarch binoculars are a great value considering the quality. I'd go for 10X42 power.

Second the binocos and lens.

Bring a big container to bring some smell back too.

I got to go on a weekend trip in S.A., while it wasn't the greatest accommodation, Megacorp picked up the tab😁. Seriously something to always remember.

Just booked a 10 day safari in Tanzania for next year.

Tour agency suggests soft sided luggage and no more than 33 lbs. Any recommendations for duffel bag type travel gear? Not likely to be on any very small planes since we fly into JRO then land tour from there.

I suspect some binoculars might also be helpful. I only have a cheapo 7x25, and would be willing to spend a few bucks for something better to enhance the travel experience.. My initial thoughts were an 8x42 or even 10x42. This should keep the price under $200. Any recommendations here?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's an article in a magazine that came a few weeks ago:
https://www.intltravelnews.com/2017/following-migration-kenya-and-tanzania

Re binos, the exit pupil of a bino is the objective lens divided by the power. So 7x42 gives you 6mm exit pupil. One reason old eyes have difficulty in the dark is that our pupils do not dilate as much as they used to. Once the bino exit pupil equals your eye's pupil, extra objective size is nothing but extra weight. I have Leupold Katmai 8x32s and they are just fine.

7x50s are the classic Navy "night glasses" but if your eye can no longer get to 7mm they are a total waste.

For me, 10x magnification gets a little unstable to hold. I'd recommend 7x or 8x.

Last edited:
I'd check out Eagle Creek for duffel bags. They are serious about luggage weight limits in Africa. When we were there, we had to put some of our luggage in storage at the airport because it wouldn't fit on the little prop plane we were taking for a 3 day side trip.

Africa is wonderful - enjoy!

+1 Eagle Creek for duffle bags.

No on the monopod.

A safari is generally vehicle-based. You are safe if you are in the car - you are prey if you are outside the car. Most of the SUV-type cars being used have either large windows that accommodate your camera/binoculars, or a top that lifts up so you can stand up to see/shoot.

Guides are expert at spotting animals, setting the vehicle in a good shooting location, and telling you where to aim to get the best shot. Most are also expert at taking photos if you are in the wrong part of the car.

Tanzania is magical -have a good time!

+1 Eagle Creek for duffle bags.

No on the monopod.

A safari is generally vehicle-based. You are safe if you are in the car - you are prey if you are outside the car. Most of the SUV-type cars being used have either large windows that accommodate your camera/binoculars, or a top that lifts up so you can stand up to see/shoot.

Guides are expert at spotting animals, setting the vehicle in a good shooting location, and telling you where to aim to get the best shot. Most are also expert at taking photos if you are in the wrong part of the car.

Tanzania is magical -have a good time!
We were told if we stepped outside the open Land Rover, we'd be called dinner. The guide was quite serious. At one stop watching the setting sun by a water hole my coworker and I walked towards the water, till our guide reminded us of a large crocodile in the water..

Northface has some durable duffle bags, but they are pricey. I have had mine for 15+years and still going strong with at least one international trip a year. PVC coating on the exterior and good sized flap over zippers makes for a dryer bag compared to a standard bag sitting out in the rain at an airport. My eagle creek duffle has held up well, but more than once has the content gotten soaked waiting to get loaded into the cargo hold at an airport.
I highly recommend the little travel packing cubes, lightweight but keeps your duffle organized.

There are also walking safaris......the guy behind my late wife, in the Selous, Tanzania, in 1988, is a ranger with a rifle:

2j51fdz.jpg

And some vehicles are open with removable canopies if sun protection is, or is not, required, (Botswana 2010):

1444ev4.jpg

My sister and 'BIL took an airplane safari open to private pilots flying bush camp to bush camp in formation in Cessna B210's. They were staying in very luxurious tent complexes.

... No on the monopod. ...
I beg to differ. In a half-dozen trips to Africa I have always carried and benefited from having a monopod. The key to being effective with a monopod is to understand that it is not simply a vertical stick used to hold the camera up. In Africa it is at its most useful in an open-sided game drive vehicle where it can be used to stabilize the camera. There is no such thing as a camera that is too stable.

My typical use in a game drive vehicle is to have the tip of the monopod on the floor stabilized against the side of my foot. The monopod is then tilted back maybe 30 degrees to bring the camera to my eye (head turned sideways). The top end of the monopod is stabilized against the arm rest or the vehicle canopy frame. The camera is mounted on a ball head so it can be leveled. This setup is almost as stable as a tripod and allows me to routinely shoot an 800mm lens in evening light with shutter speeds as slow as maybe 1/125 or 1/60. For example:

38349-albums210-picture1559.jpg

When I shot this it was so dark that it was alsmost impossible to see the lady in the tree as she snacked on her kill. No monopod=no shot possible.

A monopod is also useful as a trekking pole when walking outside the vehicle (which does happen) and can be used as the aforementioned vertical stick whenever that is worthwhile.

OP, I'd suggest that you Google "How to use a monopod" to see why the vertical stick paradigm is so limiting.

I used a mono pod when I was there. For a long lens, you need to steady the camera and with all the people packed in the minivan, a tripod is impractical. My second trip was with Earth Watch and we walked daily among the animals with armed guards front and rear. That trip was far more enjoyable than the standard Safari I'd taken earlier, but you'll love the crater.

I assume this is a photography safari? I love to see the pics from folks who have been to the Bush....

Although I have worked in Africa since 2003 and still am.... - it has been just that .... work....never been on Safari to hunt or take photos....

I do recall seeing a local hunter in Equatorial Guinea coming down from Mt. Pico - about 7 years ago with a gun that must have been near to 100 years old....coming out of the Bush with some Monkeys and other Bush meat.....felt like I had gone back in time at least a 100 years....surreal really....

I do work with several colleagues who have taken some Legal trophies in the Bush......

As I get older......I am understanding the allure of a photography safari.....this is coming from a Hunter.....just the act of being in the Bush, in the heat, smelling the smells, sweat in the eyes, while the flies and knats and bugs are chewing on you.....not knowing what is just out of eyesight....armed with only a Smartphone....Hats Off Sir....

The challenge of taking pic of game that can and will kill and eat you........

Not sure I could do that.... but to be honest if I/we ever do, I'll prefer to have a good 458 Win Mag or the Classic Double along with my camera.......just sayin....

To be just me in the thick Bush - no back up; hunting one of the big 5 who can and will kill me....I have to say it has an appeal........Ala, Peter Hathaway Capstick.......

Now back to reality.....working 7 days a week so we can FIRE to Texas and enjoy each day to be with Ms. gamboolgal and bothering her....life is good...

OP hope you have a great safari and am looking forward to the pics and stories....

Eb8Z4Y4.png

Last edited:
And this is one of the ones that will eat you:LOL:

Attachments

• openwide.JPG
    openwide.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
As will these guys...if you can't run fast enough...or long enough...

sxk4k4.jpg
Just have to be faster, further than one other person.

We were standing around a waterhole having beer and wine as the sun was setting and our guide picked up a rock looking thing and passed it around. Hard white, kinda like a rock but not quite. Nobody knew. It was hyena dung. It's 95% calcium accord to our guide.

For soft luggage, I prefer as cheap and light as possible and bring a couple extra duffles rolled tight so you can trash others if they get trashed.

If money is no object, then I'd shop Filson. The feel of the materials and craftsmanship is luxuriously durable.

+1 on the 458 win mag for any safari hunting.

Last edited:
It was hyena dung. It's 95% calcium accord to our guide.

Next time I see them I'll ask for verification:

2a7ycxv.jpg
:LOL:

What's the other? Jackle?

The guys above are all Hyenas...the other pic, with the Impala, are African wild dogs.......here's a Jackal:

25sbw95.jpg

On my first safari, we were out all day in the Massai Mara, which had a healthy entry fee but curiously, no toilets. I told the driver that I just had to take a leak, so he dropped me off at a small stand of small trees / bushes which he assured me were safe. As I was standing there relieving myself I looked down at the ground and there were piles of bones, evidently from lions. I finished quickly and sprinted back to the van.

Back
Top Bottom