Airbnb "over there"

Scuba, for our September trip, it did not seem hard to find units with washers. But, we were in most locations only 3 or 4 days so we did not need a washer at each location. We never had a US style dryer. They were all the EU style, air dry rack. In one city we simply went to a laundromat. It took a few minutes to understand the foreign language directions, but we managed. And, locals offered help. We went to the local cafe and had a coffee while the clothes were finishing. Security cameras were in the laundromat. If your unit does not have a washer, Laundromats work well.

Yes, we considered going to the laundromat but it was just so much less time-consuming to wash a sink load every few nights that we stuck with that. Next time I will try the filtering and see what we can get with a washer, but I’m a bit concerned about limiting ourselves with that as a requirement.

At our airbnb in Berlin, we were directed to the convenience store nearby for instructions. To our delight, they had the key!

We had something similar in Copenhagen in that we were instructed by the owner, via email, to go to a cool little pub next door. The bartender had the key in an envelope for us.

On that trip we also used AirBnb in Stockholm. Great, large unit in the middle of Old Town and much cheaper than a hotel. It was a very good stay.
As others have stated....set the filter to only rent the entire place, as opposed to a room, and read the reviews. You will pick up info about the unit and neighborhood. Personally, I would never rent a place that had not yet been reviewed

The entry into the property is the largest disadvantage compared to a hotel, IMO, where you have safe 24 hour entry and someone to receive you.
This is my opinion as well. On trips to Europe, I am always tired after traveling for up to 20+ hours so the last thing I need on vacation is stress about getting into my rooms. Unfortunately, I've yet to meet one of my Airbnb hosts face to face. It's always worked out, but I am also always worried about it. I am on Project Fi, so I can message them and make phone calls if necessary as it was on my last trip.

Regarding washing machines; we always rent 2BDRM flats (whole home I think is the filter) and we look for a photo of the washing machine in the apartment. Most have them. It is very handy for the reasons already mentioned. We've yet to get a clothes dryer, but the drying racks work fine.

Last edited:
This is my opinion as well. On trips to Europe, I am always tired after traveling for up to 20+ hours so the last thing I need on vacation is stress about getting into my rooms. Unfortunately, I've yet to meet one of my Airbnb hosts face to face. It's always worked out, but I am also always worried about it. I am on Project Fi, so I can message them and make phone calls if necessary as it was on my last trip.

Regarding washing machines; we always rent 2BDRM flats (whole home I think is the filter) and we look for a photo of the washing machine in the apartment. Most have them. It is very handy for the reasons already mentioned. We've yet to get a clothes dryer, but the drying racks work fine.

Maybe Greece is different. We rented 7 apartments (all “whole home”) and none had a washer.

This is why my strategy is to get a hotel for a day or two then Airbnb. I did that for my last trip to Waikiki. Stayed at a hotel for 3 nights then moved to VRBO for 2 weeks.

This is why my strategy is to get a hotel for a day or two then Airbnb. I did that for my last trip to Waikiki. Stayed at a hotel for 3 nights then moved to VRBO for 2 weeks.
I am still working so my trips are only 7 - 8 days now. Moving from a hotel to an apartment after one day would burn too much "beer at a cafe" time :) for me but I like your idea for when I can take longer trips.

I am still working so my trips are only 7 - 8 days now. Moving from a hotel to an apartment after one day would burn too much "beer at a cafe" time :) for me but I like your idea for when I can take longer trips.

For short trip like that I just stay at a hotel. When it’s a long trip, I get sick of eating out so Airbnb/VRBO is good alternative to hotel. The only problem with Airbnb is it’s not always cheap, all sort of fees are added on to cost, so longer stay makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom