Anyone been to Amsterdam? Advice needed!

itsmyparty

Recycles dryer sheets
We're seriously looking at a cruise that goes from Paris (Rouen) to Amsterdam. I've been designated the planner for this!) Would like to stay an extra couple of days in Amsterdam as might not be back that way...and it will be during the tulip season. There will be 4 of us (2 couples) travelling together with luggage ... this definitely makes local transportation a little more difficult and expensive in an already very expensive area! Wondered if anyone has a recommendation for a hotel with a reliable a/p shuttle, a van service you've used or have had experience with the taxis there. I've been reading various travel sites...and not good things to say about taxi's in that city. Would love to take the train to the airport, but one of our group couldn't really do that....so....any advice or experience you are willing to share. We'd be heading to the airport from the city about 6-6:30 am...don't know if they have a rush hour and which way it runs in that city...but we definitely want to make sure we catch our 10:15 flight home!! Thanks!

Was in the city a couple of weeks ago late at nite (around midnight) the trains had shut down so I found a taxi easily back to the Airport hotel I was staying. There were not an awful lot of taxi's as the trains and light rail in town is used by most people. My friends left the city a little later than me and they also took at taxi and did not have trouble finding one... I am not an expert on the city but that was my recent experience. Amsterdam is a very nice city and well worth the trip.

When I saw the thread title asking for advice about Amsterdam from someone named "Its my party", I thought the questions were going to be completely different.

We just spent 3+ weeks in Amsterdam in September. I would highly recommend Hotel Sebastian. We spent one 1 night there but it was the best bed we had had in months. The onwers are wonderful. Send them an email and introduce yourself and they will take great care. Please tell them I said hello as well.

As for transportation the easiest way to get around is on the tram. You can buy tickets on there and they go to most areas of the city. There are certainly taxis as well and I have never heard of any issues at all there. I agree completely that the train from the airport into Centraal Station is absolutely the best and easiest.

Finally, in case you are looking for something a bit fun I recommend checking out one of the oldest bars in Amsterdam - Wynand Fockink - landingspagina. It is a lot of fun and a great place to try jenever. I attached a picture from when we shared a drink with our friends there.

Have a wonderful time in Amsterdam. It is a beautiful city.

Attachments

• The gang enjoying a drink.jpg
    The gang enjoying a drink.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom