Anyone done a cross-country drive, roughing it?

Wow, this thread is throwing out some seriously interesting blogs! There is probably some happy medium between what the people on the Bumfuzzle site did and working until you're 65 and too arthritic to actually walk anywhere.

You don't want to run into 'Don and Marge, from Topeka- come on over and have an iced tea blah blah' and this is just what must populate the Wal Mart parking lots all over the country.
Some of the most pleasant times we have when traveling (by RV or otherwise) have been with "Don and Marge" though not at Walmart ;).

Once you get 5 minutes into the conversation, you might discover that Marge is a famous artist or a rocket scientist, or Don is a retired professor of literature or a high-rise construction worker (we have actually run into all those titles). You've got to be careful what you assume about people - you might be missing the best part of the trip.

Some of the most pleasant times we have when traveling (by RV or otherwise) have been with "Don and Marge" though not at Walmart ;).

Once you get 5 minutes into the conversation, you might discover that Marge is a famous artist or a rocket scientist, or Don is a retired professor of literature or a high-rise construction worker (we have actually run into all those titles). You've got to be careful what you assume about people - you might be missing the best part of the trip.

Absolutely agree. Last winter in a campground I met a guy who was a retired ornithologist and I ended up having an interesting guide and teacher for many birds in the Rio Grande Valley. I told him that I had not seen one variety of Kingfisher and he dragged me over to a swamp, and found me one. Also was able to see an aplomado falcon because of him.

I suppose you could do truck stops, but then you are just traveling the 51st state.

Actually, I've used truck stops to shower. It's been years and I can't recall the chain I found best but I do remember that the facilities were clean and the price was reasonable. I understand that these days some are requiring a fuel purchase (and they're not talking about a few bux worth of gasoline!) that might disqualify the car/van tourist who doesn't need 200 gals of diesel! ;)

It ain't me Babe....

Once you get 5 minutes into th conversation, you might discover that Marge is a famous artist or a rocket scientist, or Don is a retired professor of literature or a high-rise construction worker (we have actually run into all those titles). You've got to be careful what you assume about people - you might be missing the best part of the trip.

Hmm, I can see how that makes me sound if you don't know me. Last time I was in hospital, I palled around with maintenance guys and gals, not Docs and nurses. It just seems to me that 'trying to get away from it all' by parking in WalMart parking lots is not the best scheme for the desired results. That's why I pushed the Sterns' book 'Roadfood', their whole point is to get away from the awful fast food and 'coffee' bordering the interstates, and finding places where the *real* natives eat, so you might meet and speak with them. I would for sure put that book on top of the reading list for anybody planning such a trip.
On the other hand, with all the things to see, I don't see how you could have a bad time out of it so maybe it just doesn't matter...

-Bill

BillS, respectfully I think you're missing the point about Walmart lots: They're not for socializing or sightseeing, just for sleeping. The best part about them in fact is that they get you in and out quick and easy, so you can spend your time doing interesting things with your day. By sleeping in Walmart lots you reserve the budget to go to whatever restaurants, attractions, tours you want. I found myself eating at nice restaurants much more often when I was sleeping in Walmart lots, partly because it was in the budget and partly because I wasn't invested in eating whatever was near the night's hotel.

That roadfood book sounds like something I'll bring on my next trip, thanks! And I note that there's a roadfood.com website where you can search what looks like more than 1000 restaurants, as well as buy pdf versions of their restaurant guides.

For me a part of the attraction of a road trip is seeing how people live in other parts of the country, including what they eat. So finding non-franchise restaurants is key.

Go get a copy of Travels with Charley and get on the road. Stay away for chain food and chain stores.

In the summer, showers are easy; state and county parks, marinas and any place with a public pool. In colder weather head for truck stops, hospitals (showers for families), community centers, Gyms, etc.

Car camping tips:

• Get a van.
  • County fair grounds often have camping available for cheap and they almost always have showers!
  • Pack a lawn chair.
  • Bring bug spray.
  • Pack enough drinking water to brush your teeth!
  • Ditch the suitcase and use several boxes or tubs in your vehicle for clothes.
  • Pack a folding duffle for checking into sleep-cheaps and laundry day
  • Pack a cooler to save cash on meals; that perfect diner will not always be available.
  • Stay clean - avoid smelling like an old guy
  • One day each week spend some time at a car wash - use the vacuum. You will be happier.
  • No hitchhikers!
  • Get an aircard for your laptop and learn to look for free wifi. You will need both.
Have fun.

I have often wondered about the little modest but well-kept-up non-chain motels - - you know, The Evergreen Motel, The Forest Inn, Sunset Motel, or The BobbyJo Motel, by the side of minor highways across the country.

Of course some look like "no-name motels" with hourly rates, but others look like they might be normal motels that are pretty cheap compared with Day's Inn. They seldom seem to have many customers. I have no idea what they are really like, since I have never slept at one.

Hammocks

Realizing that I've already posted once, I'd like to chime in again with a note about hammocks. I routinely carry one (Trek-Light) on my maxi-scooter (Burgman 650), & I make good use of it for that mid-day siesta, when it's hot, I'm tired and saddle-sore.

Please note that hammock users do NOT have to sleep on their backs. The trick is to rest on the diagonal, which lets one rest & sleep as flat as they want.:whistle:

The other alternative (which I don't have right now) is the Hennessy Hammock, which is bug-proof and will shelter a person in severe weather, including tropical downpours.

You don't always need two trees. Your vehicle and a stout upright post will do. I expect to stand up a 5' collapsible pole on the back of my Burgman's trike conversion (when done), sling the hammock to that pole, and run the line on the other end of the hammock to a post, pole, or other upright thing and then down to a root, concrete barrier or picnic table(or even to a stout nail driven into the asphalt of a parking lot -- pound it all the way in, just before you leave).

I've even figured a way to hang the hammock where there are no trees at all. However, you do have to find a 6'+ high chain-link fence. I've tried this, and, at near 300 lbs. weight & 6' 8" tall, hung successfully off said fence. No fence was damaged for this demonstration.:ROFLMAO:

Except the part about using cat litter as bathroom for yourself. My cat will get pissed that I'm stealing her cat litter. :)

Some of the 5th wheels look pretty darn comfy, and they are not that expensive used. If you're sure that life on the road full time is something in the cards, you can always plan early and replace your car with a used diesel pickup truck when your car dies.

From reading the RV-dreams.com's FAQ section, I can see the appeal of living closer to mountain biking and hiking, and I like the fact that they are playing on cheap golf courses but with people they like as opposed to playing on expensive courses with people they tolerate. It's all about the trade offs between style and substance, and I'd take substance any day because I have had $1 coffees and a $2 scones with riding buddies after a hell of a ride and found that infinitely more fulfilling than an expensive lobster dinner with co-workers with whom every conversation is a walk around land mines, and I certainly appreciate the fact that they sleep a lot better. If nothing else, this last point is worth its weight in gold. I, however, still believe that they could have waited just a few more years to get their net worth up where they can draw 4% to cover 100% of their living expenses and use the work camp income for major purchases and the occasional splurge.

OK, end of thread jack!

I have often wondered about the little modest but well-kept-up non-chain motels - - you know, The Evergreen Motel, The Forest Inn, Sunset Motel, or The BobbyJo Motel, by the side of minor highways across the country.

Of course some look like "no-name motels" with hourly rates, but others look like they might be normal motels that are pretty cheap compared with Day's Inn. They seldom seem to have many customers. I have no idea what they are really like, since I have never slept at one.
From my limited experience, they're not good enough for most people. Small rooms, vinyl floor in bathroom, well-worn furniture, might not-- hold on now-- have cable, much less WiFi. Sort of like my house. They also sometimes are not all that much cheaper, as the mortgage was paid off decades ago, and the owners don't feel like busting their butts cleaning your toilet for $5 profit.

The more modern ones by roadsides-- the far-off-brand struggling entrepreneur style-- had an uncanny tendency to be owned by Indian immigrants. It was kinda weird walking into a 1960s vintage motel in the middle of nowhere in Iowa and be greeted by Mr. Patel stepping away from his fragrant curry dinner in back.

The off-brand motels on the outskirts of larger cities had a tendency to be welfare motels. Entire families packed into a room. Grim. And that was in good times.

From my limited experience, they're not good enough for most people. Small rooms, vinyl floor in bathroom, well-worn furniture, might not-- hold on now-- have cable, much less WiFi. Sort of like my house. They also sometimes are not all that much cheaper, as the mortgage was paid off decades ago, and the owners don't feel like busting their butts cleaning your toilet for $5 profit.

The more modern ones by roadsides-- the far-off-brand struggling entrepreneur style-- had an uncanny tendency to be owned by Indian immigrants. It was kinda weird walking into a 1960s vintage motel in the middle of nowhere in Iowa and be greeted by Mr. Patel stepping away from his fragrant curry dinner in back.

The off-brand motels on the outskirts of larger cities had a tendency to be welfare motels. Entire families packed into a room. Grim. And that was in good times.

Interesting! Thanks for the glimpse into these motels, which had always inspired my curiousity. And yes, I would be floored to find one of them run by an Indian immigrant on the backroads of middle America. :)

I think the OP of this thread may have already hit the road in his used beat up van!

My uncle did what you are talking about a few years back and
really enjoyed it. He would stop at the fancier truck stops
which have nice facilities for the "hygenic basics" (showers etc..)
along the way. They are very interested in getting the truckers repeat
business so they make seem to make an effort at providing good service..

I absolutely foam at the mouth thinking of getting on a ElderBus and riding with 60 fossils like myself. I want to drive cross country in a van (basic van not RV) and put an Aerobed, some blankets and pillows and a cooler with stuff to consume. Just go. No jocular host or convivial seatmate. I want to eat at White's in Salem, OR, not Denney's on I-90, Denney's on I-80, Denney's on I-74, get the picture.

Has anyone ever done anything similar and are there enough rest stops with showers, facilities, etc to allow for hygienic basics? Or is it destined to be a Day's Inn fest.

I really long for the freedom and rhythm of the highway as it rolls on by, city lights and rolling thru the backwoods.

Am I dreaming of somthing impossible?

Hammocks are great on a trip -- perfect for napping or reading. Here are some of my hammock solutions when camping:

Attachments

• 03Hammock.jpg
    03Hammock.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2
  • 09Campsite.jpg
    09Campsite.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2
  • CampDead03.jpg
    CampDead03.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 08Campsite.jpg
    08Campsite.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
Interesting! Thanks for the glimpse into these motels, which had always inspired my curiousity. And yes, I would be floored to find one of them run by an Indian immigrant on the backroads of middle America. :)

W2R - you can imagine my surprise when my riding buddies and I pulled into a quaint little motel in Alpine, TX being managed by a family from somewhere near Pakistan (my best guess). Google Alpine. It doesn't get any more backroads than that. I often wonder how they ended up there.

I reluctantly have to agree. I used to use these "off brand" hotels a lot in my younger years when I didn't notice the filth, but now that I'm older and more concerned about catching whatever bug the last visitor had, I tend to stay away. It's not uncommon to find messes that could easily have been cleaned up but just weren't. I guess these kind of places are where I learned my habit of asking to see the room first, and doing a thorough inspection.

It's sad to say, but I do prefer the chain motels, because the franchisees have to meet certain standards set by the head office. The no name places get their business from customers driving by that they'll never see again, so there's no incentive to make the actual experience good. Their facades are often much better kept than the rooms. And because they're usually small, decaying construction, and near the road, noise can be an issue. But I'm a cheapskate, and I've been known to bring my own sheets, earplugs, and lamisil foot cream, and sleep in places like this when I'm on my own and there's no Walmart nearby :)

The worst hotel I've stayed in was a Days Inn . It was so dirty . Luckily it was dark and we could not see the filth until the next morning . Stained sheets , used condom on the floor , etc., etc.
I love boutique hotels or B&B's . I've always had good experiences and they are usually unique much better than the sameness of chain hotels.

Holiday Inn in Jamaica, NY. Across the street from the airport. D-U-M-P.

'Over there...'

I think that I'm forgetting to mention that, long ago and far away, I was one of the *very few* who got to spend a whole year on nature walks through the jungle. Our survival rate was abysmally low, and we lived in the dirt and mud and ate cold canned food.
I married within 6 mos of returning and getting out of the Boy Scouts. (Still married!). We were walking towards our place on Perry St. in the West Village when said wife turned to me and said, "Have you ever been camping?".
After 20 seconds of my (draftee) Platoon Sgt. glare, she blushed and said 'sorry! I love you.". Nothing for me to do but kiss her, and she never spoke of camping again. Although there was a 1970 VW Camper bus involved in our lives for a short time a few years later. It had been in a bad accident and I fixed it, which should tell the whole story.
I hereby declare myself excused from the 'Roughing it' thread...

-Bill

Back
Top Bottom