Anyone Fly NonRev?

fidler4

Recycles dryer sheets
My DW started working for Delta recently so as part of her benefits we get to fly as non revenue (nonrev) passengers. Does anyone have any advice/tips for flying nonrev. We have no experience in this area so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fidler

I used to do that long ago on Pan Am. You're just another standby as far as the gate agent is concerned. There are also priority levels (usually depending on your "rank" in the company), which control who gets the first empty seats.

l My late DF used to toiled for United as a mechanic for 46 years. We always had to wear our "church clothes" and often flew split up. No real good tips other than it's a pretty routine procedure. Your ticket had the seniority date of the employee, and the more senior the earlier you got picked over other employees. If you flew without the 46 year employee in your party, a employee hired yesterday trumped your ticket.

Dad would always monitor trips ahead of time to get an idea of load factors and take the least favorite trips.

I have a SIL and a niece who work for airlines. From what I can tell, they monitor the routes they’re interested in, noting day of week, times seats are available and how popular the route is with fellow employees. Once familiar with the patterns, you just plan accordingly and be very flexible. Sometimes they’ll fly to a new destination just because of seat availability to explore the area. Currently, my brother and SIL are looking for a flight to either New Zealand or Thailand, whichever flight they can fly first class.

Oh, and as a side perk, SIL upgraded my kids on their flights. For instance, she put son and friend in a row with more leg room. The other kids on the trip were all jealous on how they "lucked out" on seat assignments.

Last edited:
The other thing to note is because you're flying standby, you can only take carry-on luggage. I have a friend who is a retired American Airlines employee. She has flown to many destinations all over the world like this. It does require patience/long waits in airports (sometimes overnight) and flexibility (may not get the best routes). But if you're ok with not having control, you can fly to some great places on the cheap. You do still have to pay the taxes which can be $100-$200 on an expensive flight.

Happy travels!

You're just another standby as far as the gate agent is concerned.

Very true. Our experience is from many years ago, also -- late 60's until about 1979. I remember one memorable time when we got to the Honolulu Airport at 5:30 AM to get on the Wait List. We made the last plane out that night at 10:00 PM. Got to the hotel in Los Angeles (another non-rev perk at that time) at 1:30 AM... mostly just to take a shower (the waiting in Honolulu was in a non-air-conditioned terminal). Was back at LAX at 5:00 AM and, last plane again, got to Denver at 10:30 PM.

That was the only time we had any, what would be called, terrible time but it is something we were always prepared for after that. Make sure your carry-on includes an extra set of clothes... underwear particularly.

The other thing to note is because you're flying standby, you can only take carry-on luggage. ......................................!

Perhaps this should be written, you should only take carry-on luggage. We have traveled fully loaded and not got on. The checked luggage either stayed or got sent on ahead.

Don't assume that because you're on the standby list, they will call you. We've had agents forget us. Once they were closing the gate and I asked if there were still seats available. Yes, there were. A scramble to get on ............so pay attention to what's happening. .......an be assertive.

As noted previously, check the loads and plan your trip according to maximize probability of success............but be reconciled to the fact that you might not get on. Many airports are not conducive to staying overnite because the arms rests on the seats cannot be removed/raised so you can't go horizontal. The best places don't have those separators for the inside seats. Sometimes the seats vary so ask an insider if there are better seats.

......... You're just another standby as far as the gate agent is concerned. ..........
Must be flying the wrong airline. On the "good" airlines, they drag a seated passenger down the aisle and off the plane to make room. :hide:

Don't celebrate too soon.........a favorable load factor can be instantly upended by 1 cancelled flight.

Don't celebrate too soon.........a favorable load factor can be instantly upended by 1 cancelled flight.

I had a good friend get stuck in South America for several days even when the plane had empty seats..the airline loaded extra cargo instead of nonrevs...

I had a good friend get stuck in South America for several days even when the plane had empty seats..the airline loaded extra cargo instead of nonrevs...

Good point.........in Costa Rica, they reduced the number of non-revs due to high winds and the need for less weight on the plane.

In AK, they will load fish instead of non-revs to the extent of how much fish space is needed. Fish pay, non-revs don't.

Back
Top Bottom