Not open for further replies.
Heading out to Big Bend National Park on Monday

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Anyone been to the Philippines?

Looking at this for a month or so next winter.

Brett you have to be more specific. With 7 thousand islands, there are many experiences to be had. Stay away from Manila (and Makati City) if you want to chill out.

That's good with me. Love hot! And the Airbnb house that we have has a really nice looking pool. Actually looking at the annual weather it says average high in July and August is 31.5C (89F) which is pretty much the same as we have in Southern Ontario that time of year. Often we find London cool for our tastes at that time of year so the heat should be nice.

I'm heading to Germany April 30-May 9. I just got back from Greece Wednesday. I head to Vegas Monday but that's for work so that doesn't count.

Looking at a month in next winter. Could be a little longer.
Mindoro, Corun, Palawan, Cebu/Eastern Visayas. Maybe Borocay but we are told by our Aussie friends that it is overrun.

Just commencing the search for data. Not many tour guides it seems.

Looking at 4-5 weeks in Philppines and the same in Thailand.

Looking at a month in next winter. Could be a little longer.
Mindoro, Corun, Palawan, Cebu/Eastern Visayas. Maybe Borocay but we are told by our Aussie friends that it is overrun.
Been to Cebu the scientific center, and a friend was from Mindanau. Gets progressively more Muslim as you go south. Many beautiful islands.

Been to Cebu the scientific center, and a friend was from Mindanau. Gets progressively more Muslim as you go south. Many beautiful islands.

Is it safe for Westerners?

Also, they have a crazy guy running the country too don't they?

It is fine. You simply need to avoid certain parts of the country.

As for crazy guys running the country.....that would severely limit our travel options if we based our travel decisions on something like that. It seems to be as common as a cold these days.

Last edited:
As for crazy guys running the country.....that would severely limit our travel options if we based on decisions on this!

That'd mean no trips to Ontario. :LOL:

We already give it a wide berth. No mountains, no ocean.

I was looking at visiting Bali.

Then I learned about Shappelle Corby. Haven't decided but kind of sounds like one of those Middle Eastern countries where Western tourists got in trouble for having liquor on the beach or even the case of a woman who was raped in her hotel room being tried for adultery.

Heading to the Netherlands in three weeks , can't wait for the Kings Day .

DW has already planned a day at the Black market ..blaaaaa to much shopping. We will spend most of our time in the Netherlands and Brussels . Kings Day is the biggest celebration in central Europe so much to see and so much to do .

We have never been to Bali. We have travelled to Turkey, a Muslim country, numerous times. No issues whatsoever. In fact, it is one of our favourite destinations.

Spent a fair amount of time travelling in Malaysia, a predominately Muslim country, two years ago. No issues whatsoever. We even had the opportunity to sample their health care/hospital.
It was excellent.

Lots of very inaccurate reporting on certain parts of the world....news aimed at sensationalism instead of reality.

Then I learned about Shappelle Corby. Haven't decided but kind of sounds like one of those Middle Eastern countries where Western tourists got in trouble for having liquor on the beach or even the case of a woman who was raped in her hotel room being tried for adultery.

I have a friend who lives in Bali. Based on her FB posts I wouldn't go there. Too much construction, pollution and dead dogs. Bali has a rabies problem and the government is poisoning dogs. You don't see much current news on this, but it's still a problem.

Agree entirely. Our OZ friends have counseled against Bali. Lots of other places on our list to avoid the winter weather.

We have had our fair share of beer and drinks on the beach in Malaysia and Turkey. I think it very much depends on what country you visit. Heck, I was in Witchita on business years ago and could not believe how archaic their liquer laws were.

Last edited:
I am heading to the Final Four in Phoenix. While there, we are also going to a Spring Training game and to watch the Capitals play the Coyotes. Hope to do some hiking in Sedona as well! Am looking forward to 5 days of warmth!

Agree entirely. Our OZ friends have counseled against Bali. Lots of other places on our list to avoid the winter weather.

We have had our fair share of beer and drinks on the beach in Malaysia and Turkey. I think it very much depends on what country you visit. Heck, I was in Witchita on business years ago and could not believe how archaic their liquer laws were.

I think Kansas allows liquor by the drink now, when I first moved there they didn't. Also you can't legally drink 3.2 beer driving anymore either. They figured out it can make you drunk.:D

Since CO. legalized MJ now Kansas puts up signs around cities announcing drug checkpoints. They even put up flashers like the highways shut down.

Last time I drove I-70 there was a sheriff's deputy setting one up going westbound around Hays?:D I still can't figure out who was going to stop.

Last edited:
I've had my RV a few years and usually I've been heading south for my holidays. Since I live in southern Norway. But this summer I think I'll go north. Lots of places I haven't been! Well - my parents brought me on a holiday when I were 2 yo. but that does not count...

I will have to do some research first - ie I know the Finnmarksvidda mountain plain has giant clouds of man eating moskitos at some point during the summer.

It is fine. You simply need to avoid certain parts of the country.

As for crazy guys running the country.....that would severely limit our travel options if we based our travel decisions on something like that. It seems to be as common as a cold these days.
Yes Malaysia as a former Commonwealth country is very familiar in many ways even though the leader of the opposition is held in jail. Even Indonesia seems to be safe these days.

We might visit Bali this summer. Reports like these always bother me, but it's not uncommon in a lot of countries. I remember having he same thoughts prior to visiting Thailand for the first time.

I feel bad for her if she is innocent. Heck, I even feel bad for her if she's guilty. The punishment looks severe. But if she is guilty, then she should have known better.

Any recommendations for August?

We're headed to Asia this summer and are in the early stages of figuring out where to visit. SE Asia can be a bit tricky during this time, since it's the rainy season.

So far we're thinking of Vietnam (Da Nang), Bali or Singapore/Malaysia. We've also thought about visiting China, but this might be limited to Hong Kong for a few days. But at this point, we're pretty much open to anywhere in this region, as long as it's easy and inexpensive.

We just booked a cruise to New England and Canada in the Fall. We will go to TX to see relatives and then off to New Orleans for fun in June. We went to Thailand once and it was beautiful but I would never go again. Too hot even in Winter, the air and water were extremely polluted. The river just stunk horribly. But my brother loves Thailand and has been there a bunch of times so I think it just depends on what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom