Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just applied to another American Express. This one will give me 50,000 miles for spending $5000. I know I will spend that much in Hawaii.

In keeping with the do you need SS for retirement thread, we decided to go back to the Sea of Cortez in the fall. Since it is fun money we decided to have some fun. Fall of 2017 we have a east coast beach and family visit, a walking San Francisco to Point Reyes inn to inn trip and now a Sea of Cortez cruise. Our critters won't even know us by December.

Just booked our winter trip. Seldom book air this far ahead but the price was too good to pass. Calgary-Singapore in Jan, home from Manila in March.

Fare was an incredible $530USD, ($702CAD) so we decided to jump on it. Will make our way to Thailand, then to Philippines.

walking San Francisco to Point Reyes inn to inn trip
Ambitious! (Says someone familiar with traffic on Hwy 1). I've walked the Luberon but I'm not so bold to trust Hwy 1 traffic.

This year completed walking trip for a month in Southern France then another (non-hike) in Benelux. Thinking of Quebec in July or August b4 Japan & Korea in October.

Retirement is expensive :LOL:

Leaving June 25 with my daughter and the 4 grand kids (7, 12, and two 14 year olds ) on a Disney Cruise, 5 nights to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. They're all sooo excited. After this cruise I'll take the grand kids one at a time to travel. :)

In the planning stages for a New England road trip. 10 days Northern Il to Maine, Boston, Martha's Vineyard and return through Niagra Falls.

Our next holiday is just one week next month at our favorite rental cottage in the Muskoka area. Very relaxing and laid back.

I am starting to plan the holiday after that though. We are thinking about renting an RV for the first time. Taking two weeks in early September and doing a big loop in Ontario from the GTHA up to Sudbury, across to Sault Ste. Marie to see a friend, back across maybe up to Temagami, across the north side of Algonquin, down the Ottawa Valley to Ottawa and then back to the GTHA. See some of the fall colors and see if we like RVing.

I'm learning that RV rental pricing is all over the map. It seems like the "gotcha" in pricing mostly has to do with mileage (and insurance). Lots of factors to consider and I think I'm going to be getting an "education" in it before I am done.

The idea to do this came from visiting with my aunt and uncle in Wales last month. We visited my aunt in hospital (late stage cancer) and got to talking about traveling. When they retired they bought a "camper van"(rv) and spent a summer travelling around France in it. Both their faces lit up when they were talking about it and it obviously meant a great deal to them and was one of their favorite memories together. DW and I have always talked about RV-ing and when we got home we decided, especially in light of my aunts situation and DW own health, that now was the time.

Last edited:
I'm off to a spa/resort in Maine next week, for a week. Maine is one of the few states I haven't yet seen and am looking forward to it!

Ambitious! (Says someone familiar with traffic on Hwy 1). I've walked the Luberon but I'm not so bold to trust Hwy 1 traffic.

This year completed walking trip for a month in Southern France then another (non-hike) in Benelux. Thinking of Quebec in July or August b4 Japan & Korea in October.

Retirement is expensive :LOL:

Except for the first leg over the GGB to Sausalito, we are on footpaths. We are trying Country Walkers out for a 2018 trip to Amalfi Coast & Capri on the Italian coast in 2018. I went to school in the bay area in the early 70's and have hiked/traveled in all the places we go more than once, I even did some research in Point Reyes during summer break. Ciao.

Our next holiday is just one week next month at our favorite rental cottage in the Muskoka area. Very relaxing and laid back.

I am starting to plan the holiday after that though. We are thinking about renting an RV for the first time. Taking two weeks in early September and doing a big loop in Ontario from the GTHA up to Sudbury, across to Sault Ste. Marie to see a friend, back across maybe up to Temagami, across the north side of Algonquin, down the Ottawa Valley to Ottawa and then back to the GTHA. See some of the fall colors and see if we like RVing.

I'm learning that RV rental pricing is all over the map. It seems like the "gotcha" in pricing mostly has to do with mileage (and insurance). Lots of factors to consider and I think I'm going to be getting an "education" in it before I am done.

The idea to do this came from visiting with my aunt and uncle in Wales last month. We visited my aunt in hospital (late stage cancer) and got to talking about traveling. When they retired they bought a "camper van"(rv) and spent a summer travelling around France in it. Both their faces lit up when they were talking about it and it obviously meant a great deal to them and was one of their favorite memories together. DW and I have always talked about RV-ing and when we got home we decided, especially in light of my aunts situation and DW own health, that now was the time.

I read that if you get an international drivers license available at AAA/CAA and tell the RV companies you have an international license that the rental fee is 1/2 the normal cost.
I think they do this to encourage tourists to rent RV's.

Heading to Lake Ouachita just north of Hot Springs, AR...cabin on the lake, then off to Memphis and AL for family time.

I thought this was a great deal, Windstar Cruise sent me an email about one of their Star Collector cruises
Star Collector: The Best of China, Korea & Japan
Hong Kong to Tokyo (Yokohama) - 28 Days
From $6,399 per guest Departs 3/17/2018 aboard Star Legend

I would have loved to go on this, but the timing is bad for us due to another trip planned.

Just back from a tour of the mid to southern Sierras. Yosemite, Tahoe, Mono Lake, numerous other lakes, Alabama Hills, Bristlecone forest, Red Rock Canyon, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon. A fair bit of our plans were snuffed due to roads still closed from the winter snow. Next up, an extensive run through the southern Utah parks and monuments.

Just back from a tour of the mid to southern Sierras. Yosemite, Tahoe, Mono Lake, numerous other lakes, Alabama Hills, Bristlecone forest, Red Rock Canyon, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon. A fair bit of our plans were snuffed due to roads still closed from the winter snow. Next up, an extensive run through the southern Utah parks and monuments.

How crowded were the roads and parks?

Booked the air to København. The return cruise seems to have plenty of balconies and is still dropping, so I'll wait to book that. I need to investigate airbnb, car, and stuff since we have a few days to poke around before the cruise.

I'd be interested in hearing how your trip to Utah goes, DrRoy - that's likely our first post-ER trip next year.

I'd be interested in hearing how your trip to Utah goes, DrRoy - that's likely our first post-ER trip next year.

DW and I are definitely national park junkies. Two years ago we did northern Arizona - Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Canyon DeChelly, Monument Valley, North Rim, Antelope Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Toroweap. It was fantastic and awesome photos. Utah should be similar.

I am on an anniversary trip now with my DH, 34 years today. We are starting in Clinton, IA and driving up the Mississippi River, then over to see our kids in the Chicago area.

In August we have a driving trip planned to the Breck area in Colorado, then over to the northwest part of Colorado, where we have not been before.

Before Christmas in December I am going to NYC with my other kids and three grandkids. That will be an awesome trip, praying for no snowstorms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom