Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is getting married this weekend. Once the hubbub has died down I'll be leaving for a week of fishing in Sitka. I hear that the catch has been very good there so far this summer.

Just got back from EAA Airventure 2017. Saw the Blue Angels for the first time.

Attachments

• NIK_2506.jpg
    NIK_2506.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 22
  • NIK_2649.jpg
    NIK_2649.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 29
  • NIK_2676.jpg
    NIK_2676.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0647.jpg
    DSC_0647.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 27
Just got back from 10 days in Slovenia (with 2 days in Trieste, Italy). If you haven't ever thought about it, you should. Really small country with a tiny coast to the west and the Alps to the North, great mountain glacier lakes, nice people, who all speak English and cheap prices!

Just got back from 10 days in Slovenia (with 2 days in Trieste, Italy).

How did you like Trieste? I haven't been there for 54 years...liked it a lot then, always thought about going back.

Yeah I'm interested in Trieste as well.

Spent 7 weeks in Croatia, with a few days in Llubljana and a few days in Venice thrown in. In Croatia spend a few days in: Zagreb, Plitvice, Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Split, Zadar, Rab, and Rovinj, with a side trip to Pula. Fantastic vacation.

Spent 7 weeks in Croatia, with a few days in Llubljana and a few days in Venice thrown in. In Croatia spend a few days in: Zagreb, Plitvice, Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Split, Zadar, Rab, and Rovinj, with a side trip to Pula. Fantastic vacation.

Did you drive, or hop-on-hop-off the ferry down the coast?

Fly to Venice, then boat-buses from Venice airport to Venice, then a train to visit friends in Vicenza, then a bus to Llubljana, bus to Lake Bled, train to Zagreb, rental car from Zagreb to Plitvice and return, plane to Dubrovnik, ferry to Korcula, then to Hvar, then to Split. Bus from Split to Zadar. Bus from Zadar to Rab, but the bus got onto a ferry. Ferry, then bus to Rovinj. Ferry back to Venice. Boat from Venice to the airport.
There were taxis, trams, water taxis and bicycles mixed in, plus shoes.

Fly to Venice, then boat-buses from Venice airport to Venice, then a train to visit friends in Vicenza, then a bus to Llubljana, bus to Lake Bled, train to Zagreb, rental car from Zagreb to Plitvice and return, plane to Dubrovnik, ferry to Korcula, then to Hvar, then to Split. Bus from Split to Zadar. Bus from Zadar to Rab, but the bus got onto a ferry. Ferry, then bus to Rovinj. Ferry back to Venice. Boat from Venice to the airport.
There were taxis, trams, water taxis and bicycles mixed in, plus shoes.

Sounds superb! Pics??

In May I spent 3 weeks in Croatia and visited most of the places you listed, plus Porec, Opatija and Trogir, as well as the hill towns of Istria (like Tuscany fifty years ago). It was wonderful. I highly recommend Croatia for natural beauty, history, good infrastructure and value for money.

Took this shot of a woodcutter in Croatia not too long before the war(s) broke out and Yugoslavia collapsed:

mh9aic.jpg

Can't recall exactly where, but it was on the grounds of this old castle/manor:
2mevolu.jpg

Anyone have any clue as to the locale? (Somewhere between Plitvice and Zagreb if I recall correctly.)

Last edited:
We took a 38 passenger yacht to visit the Croatian islands, the drive from Dubrovnick to Pula and Zagreb. Great place and reasonable prices. Lots of pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    881.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    783.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Jealous! We love Croatia.

Here was the ship and one of the beaches on the island of Krk

Attachments

• IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    618.3 KB · Views: 24
Allright! What good is a travel thread without photos?

So we're divers and right now have booked Bonaire in October, St. Lucia in April, and Turks and Caicos next July. It will be our third time in Bonaire, first in St. Lucia, and 9th in Ts&Cs.

DW loved visiting New England last year (Newport and New Bedford) so we'll probably do that again soon as well. A European river cruise is no my near-term list as well.

Bonaire will spoil you as it's about as good as diving gets. I've always loved Cozumel and The Caymans are also superior dive spots.

St. Lucia is another of our favorite spots in the Southern Caribbean. If you need transportation, call Cosul Tours and ask for "Yellow Bird". He's about the best tourguide we've ever run into. St. Lucia has a number of ultimate hotel resorts--like the Jade Resort where every mountainside room has an infinity pool overlooking the Twin Pitons.

Turks & Caicos is getting more popular all the time. We found it to be a modern island and rather quiet. Sometimes quiet places are good.

We have never heard of anyone on European river cruises not loving them. But we can travel three times to Europe for the cost of one river cruise. I'll stick with independent travel while we're capable of making our own plans.

Last edited:
Came across this quote......quite apropos, I thought:

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see."

G. K. Chesterton

Booked a RCCL cruise for November 2018--we have never booked this far out. It leaves from Galveston....Costa Maya....Costa Rica....Colon, Panama....Cozumel (or course. is there any way to avoid Cozumel on a W Caribbean cruise?).

9 days/$613 (plus taxes plus port charges + travel insurance + drink package).

Just returned home yesterday from a 9 day New England road trip, two nights in New Hampshire, took the Cog Railway to the top of Mt Washington, two nights in Boston doing the tourist thing and 5 nights on Cape Cod.
Lots of fresh seafood and great weather.

We are spending the winter in SE Asia. Mostly Thailand and 3-4 weeks in the Philippines. The die was cast a month or so ago when we snagged a great open jaw air fare to Singapore (never been here and want to go back KL before going to southern Thailand). and home from Manila. We love Thailand. Philippines has been on my bucket list for some time. Got a list of good not so touristy places to go from a waiter on a cruise ship this past Feb. Plus, my Toyota mechanic is from there and is offering good travel advice.

So, we are experiencing the same kind of comments we heard when we visited Greece, Turkey, and even Thailand when there was a very minor amount of public demonstrations in these countries. The people we know who have never been there are telling us how unsafe it is and that we could be kidnapped. Those who are familiar with the area say it is a wonderful place to go for a few weeks in winter. You can see whose advice we are following.

Eleven weeks today......we head to Bulgaria.

The world has truly become a smaller place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom