Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm taking off this week for a several days in NO, LA and South LA to fill up on Cajun food and culture.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Smile
Old 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #402
Recycles dryer sheets

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We used Rick Steves' France 2011 and Hertz. We also used VRBO, Venere, Booking and HotWire. We did all the booking with an 8yo HP laptop with wifi. We are home now, having returned from Nice yesterday. While in Nice, we visited Cannes, Antibes, Cagnes sur mer, St Paul de Vence, Monoco, and Menton. We also visited some friends in their villa north of Vence.

(We did a Med Cruise in 2005 with Celebrity. That got us going!)
Thank you for the information on your trip...and the picture is a wonderful incentive to get me going on doing some planning. We have miles to use and want to do more of France by train, car and boat. We are really feeling that the saying, 'so many places and so little time'...to be very true...so we've got to get going! We've been on at least 4 med. cruises..and always say we've got to come back to explore more of one city, region or another....guess there is not time like the present. Glad you are enjoying life too!!

Thanks again.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #403
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We did Italy last year, Rome to Lake Como for a month, and France this year for a month. Next year is a custom cruise on the islands off the Dalmation Coast plus some add-on time, either southern Italy or Turkey.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #404
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Keith,

Thanks for sharing the tips of your trips and picture.

I am checking on different deals from this Vacations To Go website/links for either The Bahamas or the Carribean. Do you know if there are other websites other than this Vacations To Go website ?

Thanks !

LS
Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #405
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flights and hotels booked for my trip to Barcelona in November. This will be my second time to Spain but I did not do Barcelona in my first trip to Spain. Looking forward to it and esp the food.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #406
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouth View Post
Hi Keith,

Thanks for sharing the tips of your trips and picture.

I am checking on different deals from this Vacations To Go website/links for either The Bahamas or the Carribean. Do you know if there are other websites other than this Vacations To Go website ?

Thanks !

LS
We've used www.onlinevacationcenter.com a few times. They've come up with good specials on cruises. Usually giving free gratuities, onboard cash, etc. We got an excellent land/cruise trip to Alaska on Princess through them. But, as you know, it seems you've got to keep checking almost daily on the prices so you don't miss something good. Hope you get a good deal!!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #407
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Itsmyparty,

Thanks !

I will check it out.

LS
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #408
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I checked out this onlinevacationcenter.com and I quite liked it.

The layout of it is different from Vacations To Go, but it's all personal preferences. However, there are couple of features this onlinevacationcenter.com is more superior than Vacations To Go is that it gives you online total costs including taxes, and online choices of cabins available (including number of cabins still available, location of cabin etc ...) whereas for Vacations To Go I have to call to find out the availability, taxes, costs of 3rd & 4th passensgers in the same cabin ... things like that !

But overall I like both websites.

LS
Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #409
Recycles dryer sheets

Smile

I like both websites too. www.cruise.com is also one of Online Vacation's sites. Do you also look at www.cruisecritic.com? Their cruise deals are linked to Vacations to Go I think, but over the years have picked up lots of good info from the boards and cruise reviews by passengers and professionals. We're always on the lookout for a good cruise...its a great way to travel. We do want to do one more driving vacation in France...might be our last as we like the luxury of cruising! Want to try river cruising as well. Hope you find something good!

LS[/QUOTE]
Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #410
Recycles dryer sheets

I registered with Vacations To Go in the past, and thought that was the only site I have checking, but now I started to check out onlinevacationcenter.com

I will check out cruise.com and cruisecritic.com as well, I am hoping to find a good deal that will fit our Xmas schedules (kids need to go back to school). That's why we only have limited choices.

Thanks again for the 2 new links.

LS
Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #411
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be in Los Cabos for most of November - just in time, as the cold rains have started in earnest in southwest B.C.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #412
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Flights and hotels booked for my trip to Barcelona in November. This will be my second time to Spain but I did not do Barcelona in my first trip to Spain. Looking forward to it and esp the food.
Sounds like a wonderful holiday. If you get the time, take the train out to Montserrat. It is a wonderful day trip with wonderful scenery and great views. Also, don't miss the gondola ride in the city at sunset for unbelievable views of the city.

Have an amazing time!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #413
Moderator Emeritus

Lined up for the next 12 months or so:

Kansas City, MO
Switzerland
France
Memphis, TN
San Antonio, TX
Spain
NYC
Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #414
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Lined up for the next 12 months or so:

Kansas City, MO
Switzerland
France
Memphis, TN
San Antonio, TX
Spain
NYC
Lucky you

Would you mind sharing how you spread out your trips and for how long each ?

Any preparations prior to the trips ?

Thanks

LS
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #415
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Got hired to work on a cruise ship to Hawaii in late March. Should be fun
that sounds great. LOVE to cruise
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #416
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
OK, I checked out this onlinevacationcenter.com and I quite liked it.

The layout of it is different from Vacations To Go, but it's all personal preferences. However, there are couple of features this onlinevacationcenter.com is more superior than Vacations To Go is that it gives you online total costs including taxes, and online choices of cabins available (including number of cabins still available, location of cabin etc ...) whereas for Vacations To Go I have to call to find out the availability, taxes, costs of 3rd & 4th passensgers in the same cabin ... things like that !

But overall I like both websites.

LS
For Cruises I have used Cruisecompete.com and got some good deals. different travel agents bid on your cruise.
I found a really good agent on that site and pretty much now just use her
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #417
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lucky you

Would you mind sharing how you spread out your trips and for how long each ?

Any preparations prior to the trips ?

Thanks

LS
The way the trips are spread out is sometimes out of my hands. For example, I am going to KC for a wedding, so I couldn't really time that particular trip. But I try to give myself 5-6 months between overseas trips.

Domestic trips are usually 3-7 days long. Overseas trips at least 10 days long. We have pets waiting for us at home, so we prefer to keep our trips short.

Preparations are usually minimal. I generally do some online research to identify points of interest at my destination. That's about it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #418
Moderator Emeritus

One more trip planned for 2011 to Central America. Every year at this time I say to DH, that's it, we're staying home next year. It never works, but so far nothing on the schedule past that trip. Although it will be our 40th anniversary next year. Hmmm....

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #419
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
For Cruises I have used Cruisecompete.com and got some good deals. different travel agents bid on your cruise.
I found a really good agent on that site and pretty much now just use her
Wow, another site for me to check out, thanks !

I did book a cruise to the Bahamas & Key West using VacationsToGo last week, but it doesn't hurt to check out this Cruisecompete.com.

LS
Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #420
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have used cruisecompete in the past. You need to be careful because there is one responder who invariably provided us with a lowball quote-the same same provide three times in a row. We have, through reponses from cruisecompete, ended up with a very good on line TA. Given the economy, we now book within the cancellation window. Prices can drop significantly after final payment is due...anywhere between 75 and 90 days out.