Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I mention Dubrovnik and Istanbul in September? Just got back from 4 days in Guadalajara. 91 degrees and 13% humidity at 5000 ft elevation.

Headed to Burnet, TX for a family reunion, then to San Diego for a bike race the next weekend.

You couldn't find two more different worlds if you tried!

Last edited:
Just finished booking a week on a small boat expedition cruise in Alaska. Added 5 day interior rail trip and Denali stay. Now I just have to pay for it.

Oh, and buy rain and cold gear, kinda unnecessary here in Arizona. But I do have my dry sacks and paddle gloves.

Not as exciting as some of y'alls plans, but I'm going camping next weekend out in the George Washington National Forest, not too far from the Sugar Grove NSA station, which is one of the places the gov't intercepts electronic communications from. It's a good place to get away from it all since there's pretty much no cell phone reception out there. It's a National Radio Quiet Zone. It's fun to stand on the top of the mountain and look down and see all the huge satellite dishes and radio telescopes in the distance.

The following weekend is DelFest in Cumberland MD. Should be a good 4 days.

Later in June I'm going to be helping my nephew move to Madison WI (from Columbia MD). I love to drive, and I'll be hauling a trailer full of stuff for his first job after college. Hopefully I'll be able to pawn off some of the furniture stored out in our garage on him.

Other than that, not much travel unless Sarah convinces me to show up at FloydFest Home @ FloydFest. I'm still toying with that idea.

C'mon, Harley-YOLO! Get yer butt to Floyd! 'Specially since we hope to miss next year if we get it together for the Mongol Rally-10,000 miles from London to Mongolia in a shortie American school bus.
And hey, I've already *almost* convinced Koogie to go with us, wanna be a part of the Short Bus Chronicles, too?

I am headed N to Lake Ontario, specifically Sackets Harbor, on Wednesday or Thursday as soon as I feel better.
Low budget trip, only a 1.5 hour drive, just like going to the ocean. :D

I was planning on being in Brazil this fall, but things happen. My kids are buying their first home so the trip is off for this year. Oh well, I'm very excited about helping them fix up their new home.

I was planning on being in Brazil this fall, but things happen. My kids are buying their first home so the trip is off for this year.
So, you are saying that you can't "follow your bliss" because your (I assume adult "kids") decided on buying a home?

Seriously, not wanting to start an argument, but being raised in a differnet situation, I don't understand why you would not want to persue your wants over the "life" of your childern. Heck, they have their own life to live/learn.

Just wondering...

Last edited:
1. I have a profound hearing loss and don't speak the language and certainly can't hear it
2. My son-in-law is Brazilian...so staying with family instead of hotels was a good $$ saver
3. Just isn't as much fun traveling alone as with family - maybe there's another cruise in my future.

Hopefully there will be other opportunities in the future sounds like a beautiful country.

Had to meet a guy on Haight Street in San Francisco for a business transaction today (sounds shady but wasn't). While waiting for him and looking at the people walking by, the phrase "dirty little hipsters" that I remember haha using came to mind. When I was a kid, my Mum thought that the flat I shared with my student friends was dirty, and she thought I was pretty scruffy too, but I don't think I was ever as unkempt and unsavory-looking as many of the kids (and not so young people) that I saw outside Amoeba Music on Haight Street today.

I am definitely middle-aged now and you know what - I'm very comfortable with that too!
I remember once when we were moving from Hawaii to MS when I was 12 (in the late 60's) we were walking around in San Francisco. My mother looked at the people walking around, then looked at me and told me to un-tuck my shirt! I was wearing a button up shirt, slacks and Hush Puppies. I don't think that made me fit in any better.

It was funny then and funny now.

2. My son-in-law is Brazilian...so staying with family instead of hotels was a good $$ saver.
I quite agree :D ..

In this case, I completly understand your logic...

Hopefully, you will have many years of travel to/in Brazil in the future (I assume you samba? :dance: )...

Tooling around France at the moment. Three days Nice and Monoco, then Arles, Avignon and Orange, on to the Dordogne River Valley, Chinon and chateaus, Mont St. Michel(what a tourist dive), Giverny, Versailles, and last to Paris.

We visited Paris (Texas) last week. Here's a picture of the Eiffel Tower.:)

Attachments

• 102_4085.jpg
    102_4085.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 3
I quite agree :D ..

In this case, I completly understand your logic...

Hopefully, you will have many years of travel to/in Brazil in the future (I assume you samba? :dance: )...

Ha...NO SAMBA here....love to watch those pretty girls samba tho!

The missus recently saw photos of Machu Picchu taken by a young cousin of hers on her trip there, and that was that. We are off to Peru this summer. Maybe we'll learn something definitive about the Mayan calendar from their Inca cousins while we're there and adjust our SWR accordingly.

The missus recently saw photos of Machu Picchu taken by a young cousin of hers on her trip there, and that was that. We are off to Peru this summer. Maybe we'll learn something definitive about the Mayan calendar from their Inca cousins while we're there and adjust our SWR accordingly.
You will love it, especially Cusco. I was there in 1999 and again last year.

travelover said:
You will love it, especially Cusco. I was there in 1999 and again last year.

Thanks. I'm curious, did you have issues with the altitude? I've read that it can be a big breath-sapping problem.

The lack of O2 at that altitude concerns my DW.

The lack of O2 at that altitude concerns my DW.

My brother climbed Machu Picchu again last year, at age 68 and more than 100 pounds overweight.

He said it was pretty challenging this time but he felt great that he actually made it. It doesn't sound like the O2 was much of a problem for him, in any case...

Then when they got back they re-packed their bags and headed off to Shanghai. (Apparently he's the opposite of me, in that he loves constant international travel these days). As for me, I remember Cusco from 1957 and I'd just as soon my memories remain that way... :)

Last edited:
Tooling around France at the moment. Three days Nice and Monoco, then Arles, Avignon and Orange, on to the Dordogne River Valley, Chinon and chateaus, Mont St. Michel(what a tourist dive), Giverny, Versailles, and last to Paris.
Don't miss Chenonceau! We did the trip in the opposite direction last September. We also did Normandy.

Thanks. I'm curious, did you have issues with the altitude? I've read that it can be a big breath-sapping problem.

Yes, I was traveling with two others, all in good shape and all three of us had altitude sickness after the flight into Cusco. We did the tea thing, but what really helped was O2 from the hotel. Allow time to acclimate or it can kinda ruin your trip. I did take diamox, but it tends to make you pee a lot, an unwelcome side effect when traveling.

Tree dweller, we went at Christmas to Peru. I'd say best advice is to rest your first few days in Cusco, drink lots of water (ok, we drank beer, but do as I say, etc) and go ahead and bring the Diamox along, but don't take it as a preventative. I only had to take it one day we were in the mountains, and that was on a very high mountain pass when we were crossing the altiplano. And if it hadn't been so dang cold that we were getting snowed/sleeted on, I would have been drinking more water and avoided the symptoms. We had spent a week in Cusco at that point but still got a rough patch. My DH had general fatigue the whole time we were at altitude, though. As sea level dwellers, I kinda expected it to be worse, to be honest.

PM me if you have any specific questions about traveling in Peru-I got some great advice from others on the board, too, especially Michael B and Travelover. And if you are mighty bored, look up the thread around here on the Mototaxi Junket, that was our trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom