At what age did your desire to travel wane?

I think it will depend on my health. I'm 64 and hanging in a hotel room in San Jose, Costa Rica after getting off a ship that went through the Panama Canal and then took us on excursions in rainforests, jungles, snorkeling, kayaking... I had a ball. Not looking forward to going home (7 AM flight to ATL then a connection to home) but hey, if I miss my connection in ATL and get home late I'll live. I met a wonderful 82-year old lady on the cruise who was there with her son- about the only thing she couldn't manage was staying up on the paddleboard so she let her son paddle while she sat and enjoyed the ride.

DH and I somewhat slowed down travel as Coach travel became more and more miserable and we decided only Business Class was acceptable on long-hauls. Right now, though, I have Iceland booked in August, India next March, am thinking of Scotland next summer and have put down a $750 deposit on another cruise with this line (UnCruise) which will get me a $500 discount off my next cruise if I go within 2 years, refundable otherwise. I may have to add pages to my passport!

I've got a gift from heaven. Free first class ticket on Singapore Airlines. Japan is on my horizon now, but I need to do more research on where to go. Maybe in 2019. I've already booked for 2017 and 2018.
My wife has been to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the island of Komodo, and Japan... all without me. She took some tours and traveled with some friends while I was busy working. I am not so thrilled about going to crowded cities. These places have not gotten me excited yet. I like to be able to navigate and do my own things without relying on a tour. These languages are more difficult to guess at.

Hence, I enjoy European trips, which are also safer than going by myself down to Central or South America. I know, I know, I am chicken, but I cannot enjoy myself while being scared. :)

My wife has been to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the island of Komodo, and Japan... all without me. She took some tours and traveled with some friends while I was busy working. I am not so thrilled about going to crowded cities. These places have not gotten me excited yet. I like to be able to navigate and do my own things without relying on a tour. These languages are more difficult to guess at.

Hence, I enjoy European trips, which are also safer than going by myself down to Central or South America. I know, I know, I am chicken, but I cannot enjoy myself while being scared. :)
I never do tours. My mom and my sister went to Japan in the early 70s. They mistook MSG for sugar. I've talked to a friend in my art class and she said Shanghai is only 3 hours away from Japan. So maybe I try to go there too. I don't like to get shots for any other Asian countries. So I might have to plan around that. And Japan is a country in Asia that both my husband and I never been. So cherry blossoms here we come or go.
But it's two year away. Who knows by then Ping Yong Yung or whatever his name is, might blow everything to smitherins.

Last edited:
I am with the group that got burned out on plane travel by business trips. I have not been on a plane since 2002 or so. I do travel domestically driving, since I am retired and time is not an issue anymore.
Between google earth, and videos taken by drivers on various roads have seen a lot I might not see if I was driving. (Including some videos of off road trips that you can take as tours) what I am waiting for is for someone to figure out how to do VR versions of traveling on roads in a car. (I primarily look at geology when touring and the US has a lot of very interesting geology)
For the buildings I find google earth and various videos useful and this does avoid the lines. One example is there are a set of 360 degree views of Saint Peters in Rome that likley give you a better view than actually being their in a crowd of folks. (note I do not like crowds, nor big cities, and the us does have lots of open space)

.....there be dragons! ��

She brought back for me a 15"-long wood carving of a dragon sold by the locals, packed in her carry-on. One of its legs broke off. I glued it back with wood glue. It's still perching on top of my bookshelf (just glanced up at it now).

Perhaps NW-Bound would prefer Kimonos to Komodos?
:smitten: :smitten:

... Between google earth, and videos taken by drivers on various roads have seen a lot I might not see if I was driving. (Including some videos of off road trips that you can take as tours) what I am waiting for is for someone to figure out how to do VR versions of traveling on roads in a car...

The Internet and Google Earth are great for trip planning. For example, we have not been to the tower of Pisa, but will be passing it on the way from Cinque Terre to Tuscany. But to make a stop requires knowing where to park and how to walk from the parking lot to the tower. With Google Earth, no problem!

Same with doing street view to map out all the places to park, the metro stations to take, and the walking paths to visit the various sites.

Maybe the virtual tour is enough and I can just stay home. My wife and the other couple can go on their own. :)

PS. With the virtual tour, I will miss out on all the drinks and food. No can do!

I never do tours. My mom and my sister went to Japan in the early 70s. They mistook MSG for sugar...

What? Restaurants have MSG out on the table like salt and pepper? That's something.

I'm in Scotland right now. I know we will travel as long as there are places we want to see and can afford to go and can endure the process--I think that is true for most people, and lots have no desire to see any more places (I totally get that!) or aren't willing or able to go through the process (totally get that too).

I liked to travel just about anywhere when I worked until I was about 50. They paid me to fly first/business class and stay in some of the best hotels in the world, both domestic (US) and internationally. I usually had enough free time see the local sights. However, with a few exceptions, after I had been to any particular city/location once, I was satisfied and had very little interest in going back. By the time I retired in my very early 60's, I had my fill of any air travel. I have not flown anywhere since retiring. Far to much hassle in airline travel for me. I was still traveling a lot in the US (driving trips) until recently but I am now finding my interest there is starting to fall off. (mid 60's). Been just about everywhere I care to go. (been there, done that syndrome)

I'm now finding that I like the actual drive much better than visiting the distant location/destination. :facepalm: Go figure that one.

I took an overseas assignment in the early 2000s, and that kicked off our travel binge. Mostly cruising; we'd use the ship as a hotel and let it take us to destinations. Covered a lot of Europe that way.

Now, between the rigor of air travel and the international situation we've cut back. Long ago, swore I'd never do another road trip but we did just that this past summer, took the grandkids to SW Colorado. Great trip - short drives, best seats in the house, stop and go on our whim, not the transportation schedule. I think we'll do more of that in the next few years.

My neighbors are in their early 80s. They are still traveling like crazy. They do mostly cruises now, I think they stopped the long walking vacations (Country Walkers?) a few years ago, but they also go on extended car trips to visit family half the country away.

They are inspiring.

Late 50s; still like road trips but tired of flying due to some claustrophobia as I get older.

Suspect I could get over the flying part with premium economy/business/first class tickets.

Retired at 42 from the military and spent 12 years traveling throughout North America in an RV hauling dirt bikes and than two place airplane. Now in third retirement at 70 and find worldwide airline travel to be such a hassle. On recent return from Egypt spent 40 hours waiting, and flying, to get home. Airline travel has become too much of a hassle, and I suspect Osama Bin Laden is laughing in his grave.

We are now spending more time on our boat exploring shorelines, rivers and bays of North America. The Great Loop is now on our bucket list but will do it in sections rather than all at one time

Last edited:
Cruising is a really easy way to travel and when we do it we see lots of older people. WE do a combo of driving, European travel on our own and cruises.

Cruising is a really easy way to travel and when we do it we see lots of older people.

Last time on a ship, I got out of the shower and there was some old fart standing in our bathroom......gave me quite a start! Damn mirrors.

I'm now finding that I like the actual drive much better than visiting the distant location/destination. :facepalm: Go figure that one.

As a motorcyclist I live by the following:
"It's the journey NOT the destination".

So IMHO you are on the right path.

the last time i took a plane was december 2001, for one of my nieces weddings, they made my at the time 76 year old mother take off her shoes to see if she was a bomber, back then no chairs so good thing we were travelling with her to hold her up, the lady 2 seats away from me decided to diaper her child , and the guy next to me opened up a tuna fish sandwich, i decided bus travel was far superior to what plane travel has been lowered to, the days of wearing a sport coat on a plane are dead, and so is my desire to travel especially by plane. real low class in my opinion, restaurants are going to be next on my list, people throwing out the EFF bomb ,talking on their phones making the dining experience lousy,
You think like I do. I used to enjoy swing dancing. Recently I looked at the website of a swing club I formerly belonged to (an organization, not a night club). After reading a long list of possible triggers that I might have to be aware of inadvertently setting off, I decided that this particular activity needs to be deep-sixed. Who would think this idiocy could be related to a fun social outing?

If you find some out-of-the-house activity that a woman may enjoy doing with a man, please inform me.

I do travel fairly often to SF to visit a son and his family. An easy flight but nothing involving air travel today is very attractive to me, but this destination visit is great. I still have family in the east, but traveling out there is not very appealing though I would like to see them. No way could I drive anywhere, I no longer even have a car.

Ha

Last edited:
Last time on a ship, I got out of the shower and there was some old fart standing in our bathroom......gave me quite a start! Damn mirrors.
I see my mother's staring at me in the mirrors.

You think like I do. I used to enjoy swing dancing. Recently I looked at the website of a swing club I formerly belonged to (an organization, not a night club). After reading a long list of possible triggers that I might have to be aware of inadvertantly setting off, I decided that this particular activity needs to be deep-sixed.

If you find some out of the house activity that a woman may enjoy doing with a man, please inform me.

I do travel fairly often to SF to visit a son and his family. An easy flight but nothing involving air travel today is very attractive to me, but this destination visit is great. I still have family in the east, but traveling out there is not very appealing though I would like to see them. No way cohld I drive anywhere, I no longer have a car.

Ha
It's called the cattle class as my husband often says.

The Internet and Google Earth are great for trip planning. For example, we have not been to the tower of Pisa, but will be passing it on the way from Cinque Terre to Tuscany. But to make a stop requires knowing where to park and how to walk from the parking lot to the tower.
I suggest you can save time in Pisa (pay parking by the hour) and stop by Lucca inside the walls. We stayed there for a week ("Penthouse" on craigslist) just inside the wall. Lots of neat side trips around Florence. Siena you have to park outside the wall as well.

Six years into ER, with about 50% of that being travel time, so approx 1000 days overall. I've loved traveling since I took my first independent trip at age 18, and it does not seem to have abated almost 40 years later.

The manner has changed over the years. I'm increasingly stressed if we change locations too often because traversing from point A to point B can be stressful, as is learning the layout of a new area. And, of course, learning a new public transportation system, my least favorite part.

We continue to love RV'ing, walking vacations, and guided tours of countries too much work or stress to do on our own. We generally add a week on our own before starting a tour, which works out really well. We get our dose of independent traveling before turning the details and stress over to someone else.

Not enjoying cruising as much as I used to, but we've done almost 20 so perhaps the bloom has worn off? There are just a few we'd still like to do - the Galapagos, the Greek islands and a repeat of our Baltic States/St. Petersburg cruise. And my husband very much wants to do a cruise around the entirety of South America.

We took our first river cruise last year and very much enjoyed it, but in that it was a 30 day Holland to Romania river cruise I think we hit the primary river cruising destinations all in one trip.

After many, many years, and many states and countries visited, I think we have finally reached the point of looking forward to returning and spending longer amounts of time in places we really, really enjoyed when first visited.

I often return home from a wonderful trip feeling really tired, and will think, "Well, OK, that's that and now we'll stay home" but the feeling fades and a month or so later I'm back at it, plotting out our next trip.

I think it's a bit of a disease, this travel bug thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom