Austin, Texas

gcgang

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone have any recommendations on Austin, Texas? From music venues, places to eat or stay?

I'm thinking of spending some time there when I visit my daughter at Baylor (Waco seems to be just one big road construction site right now).

Fonda San Miguel if you want real Mexican food (as opposed to TexMex). Features food from Central Mexico and the Yucatan area.

We enjoyed Pete's Dueling Piano Bar and Esther's Follies (comedy club). Also like Rudy's for BBQ and TopGolf.

Anyone have any recommendations on Austin, Texas? From music venues, places to eat or stay?

I'm thinking of spending some time there when I visit my daughter at Baylor (Waco seems to be just one big road construction site right now).

There are a many music places in Austin use something like bandsintown.com and see if there is someone that interests ou

NOOOO on Rudy's.... not bad but much better places in Austin.

If you want to wait in line go to Franklin... almost always voted as best BBQ around... I have never gotten it because of the long line...

I have not been to this either but lots of good talk about it... Blacks...

We have eaten Coopers and buy some when we go to Austin.. it is not as good as the Llano store but still good enough...

Now, if you are willing to eat a big beef rib plate go to County Line and order the Big Daddy Rack... it is $29 but you get 5 or 6 big beef ribs that can feed 2...

My sister who lived there for many years loves the Iron Works... she came down from Oregon and had to go there...

If your going soon the Austin City Limits Festival is Oct. 4-6 and Oct. 11-13 at Zilker Park. There will be tons of music and parties around town but rooms will be scarce. Later this month the The Austin Film Festival is happening 10-24 thru 10-31 - I think one of the better in the nation. Of course their is Octoberfest at various location in and around Austin. Usually a lot to do almost any time. We are having a continuing heat wave so not sure when Fall will moderate the temps so be aware of 95+ temps.

We enjoyed Pete's Dueling Piano Bar and Esther's Follies (comedy club). Also like Rudy's for BBQ and TopGolf.

Esther’s Follies is hilarious - highly recommended! And I love Tex-Mex. Chuy’s is famous for a reason ... delicious! BBQ is also very good there. My. Bonnet has a beautiful overlook above Lake Austin. If you have time, drive out to Lake Travis. Beautiful!

You should go to 6th street and "The Domain" at night. You will see some sights.

The Capitol is worth seeing, but perhaps that is more for Texans.

Watch the Bats come out at Dusk on the Bridge downtown....

Good card room is 512 if you want to play some pokerzzzz....

I drove through Waco yesterday. You are right, construction on 35 is a major mess. There was a wreck on the south bound side and it was backed up (stopped) for miles. Luckily we were going north. Matter of fact we never saw the end of the backup when we finally exited the freeway so I have no idea how much further it was.

Now, Austin traffic and congestion is bad too. IMO, it's second only to Houston traffic and discourteous drivers in the state. Of course if you want to drive faster (legally) in the area, you can hop on Hwy 130 and you'll see the highest speed limits in the US at 85mph. Ha, you'll be surprised how many far exceed that. :cool:

A suggestion (compromise) might be to stay in Georgetown. It's between Austin and Waco. Very clean, not as nearly as congested and ton's of places to stay and eat. Downtown Austin is only ~25 miles to the south and Waco is about ~50 miles to the north.

Last edited:
Consider staying at Hotel San Jose on South Congress Ave. Cool place and close to lots of shops and restaurants. Depending on the time of year, I’d suggest a swim at Barton Springs pool. Spring fed, constant temp of about 68’. Perfect for cooling off in the Texas heat (which seems will never end this year).

Fonda San Miguel if you want real Mexican food (as opposed to TexMex). Features food from Central Mexico and the Yucatan area.

I live in Austin and I give this a +100 They're great for dinner, and they have an awesome Sunday brunch (though make a reservation if you want brunch). Was just there for dinner 2 weeks ago. :)

I live in Austin and I give this a +100 They're great for dinner, and they have an awesome Sunday brunch (though make a reservation if you want brunch). Was just there for dinner 2 weeks ago. :)

We lived in Austin for several decades. We really enjoyed eating at Fonda San Miguel before they got famous and far more expensive. Lovely building.

The brunch is great. It used to be quite a deal.

I've lived in Austin since the early 80's.
Places to eat:
Fonda San Miguel or Las Palomas for Interior Mexican food

Lots of choices for BBQ but everybody has their own opinion
Salt Lick: out from town, BYOB.
Coopers: The original out in Llano is the best, but the one downtown on Congress ain't so bad.
County Line: Two locations. Still wondering how, when I was younger, I was ever able to eat their "family style" all-you-can-eat
Franklins: Supposedly very good, but with so much hype the line starts at around 7am. Eat there if you really don't want to do anything else that day.
LaBarbecue: Also quite good. Was a food trailer for years, but now has brick-and-mortar
Terry Blacks: I've eaten there twice and it's not my cup of tea, but many like it.
Styles Switch: Also quite good.

Fancier food (think reservations on either Resy or Opentable, but Austin is fairly casual, so no need to dress up)
Lenoir - South 1st street
Launderette - literally a former laundromat in east Austin
Barley Swine - highly recommend doing the small-plates menu
Uchi or Uchiko - high end Japanese.
Café Jose - all small plates.
Dai Due - east Austin
Steiner Ranch Steakhouse - out near Lake Travis
Foreign and Domestic - cool restaurant in a neighborhood with some funky shops nearby

Things to do:
Walk around SOCO (South Congress Avenue)
See the bats (Congress avenue bridge over Lady Bird Lake) around sunset
Climb Mount Bonnell - great view of much of Austin when you get to the top!
Walk around inside the state capital and around the grounds
6th street. Entertainment area - a little rough around the edges, but don't park or walk too close to I35 as it's even more rough in that area,
Check out "The Domain" high end shopping area.
Drive out to Lake Travis and enjoy the view from several spots on 620
Drive Loop 360 from one end to the other, likewise enjoying the views

That should get you started. :LOL:

Oops: forgot to add places to stay
Hotel San Jose on South Congress. Just don't forget to have a coffee at Jo's next door and take a picture with somebody you love in front of the "I love you so much" mural
Austin Motel on South Congress. Funky, old fashioned place
Hotel Saint Cecilia. Off of South Congress
Kimber Modern Boutique Hotel. Off of South Congress
Hotel Ella. Near UT campus. Has been many things over the years, including a Psych Hospital.
Hotel Eleven in East Austin
Heywood or HK also in East Austin

Big-Papa has given you a good list. The LBJ Presidential Library is great, particularly for perspective on the 50s and 60s. The new Austin Public Library downtown is spectacular.

Enjoy!

enchiladas y mas on anderson is the best, IMO and I've eaten at just about every spot in town

Big-Papa has given you a good list. The LBJ Presidential Library is great, particularly for perspective on the 50s and 60s. The new Austin Public Library downtown is spectacular.

Enjoy!

I second both of those. The new library is amazing. Might want to also check out the flagship Whole Foods store downtown and the independent bookstore, Book People, across the street.

And no visit to Austin is complete without a visit to Amy's Ice cream - locations everywhere.

Cheers
Big-Papa

enchiladas y mas on anderson is the best, IMO and I've eaten at just about every spot in town

+1 for Enchiladas y mas. As far as being best, don't know about that, but it's certainly in my top 5! I also like El Dorado on Anderson, closer to Mopac.

Last edited:
Music Venues can include
- any of a number of bars on 6th street
- ACL Live at the Moody Theater. This is where Austin City Limits is filmed.
- Continental Club on South Congress
- Antones on E. 5th street

Oasis on Lake Travis for a pretty great view of the lake. There's restaurants, shopping and a brewery.

Oasis on Lake Travis for a pretty great view of the lake. There's restaurants, shopping and a brewery.
I hope their food has improved. Awesome views from a great deck system, but we never liked actually eating there. It's been almost 15 years though.

I hope their food has improved. Awesome views from a great deck system, but we never liked actually eating there. It's been almost 15 years though.

It hasn't. It's a long running joke here that every few years they have an ad campaign that they have a new chef and their food is good now. After 35 years in Austin, I haven't actually seen it materialize. Harder to screw up drinks and the view is awesome, though!

It hasn't. It's a long running joke here that every few years they have an ad campaign that they have a new chef and their food is good now. After 35 years in Austin, I haven't actually seen it materialize. Harder to screw up drinks and the view is awesome, though!

last time I was up there lake travis was empty

Back
Top Bottom