Basic Economy airline experience

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I saw some negatives about traveling on basic experience, so I thought I'd share my experience from this week on Delta and American on domestic flights halfway across the country, with connecting flights.

First, make sure you read the disclaimers. They can't be transferred or cancelled, though some have had luck, for now. You may be limited in how much you can carry on, and you can't select your seats when you book, and possibly not at all. You probably can't upgrade. Probably other limitations. Read closely when you book, especially if you don't book through the airline.

I had a lot of misgivings after booking, because I hate airline travel, hate middle seats, and often upgrade to 1st class or premium if it's available. I wondered why I was being cheap, and was a bit tempted the week before travel to take their offer to pay for an assured economy seat.

At exactly 24 hours before, I checked in. To my surprise, I was able to grab exit row seats for both myself and my son on the first flight, but not the second. I found that we were on "standby", which upset me that we may not even get on the flight, but googling showed that it was standby for seat assignment, not standby for getting a ticket. Even at the airport we still didn't have seats for that second flight.

Oh, btw, Delta allows a carry on and under seat bag (most other airlines do not for that fare), but we could still have to check it if the overheads were full. But since we were exit row, we were zone 1 so there was plenty of space.

As we landed at the connecting airport, I checked the Delta app and found that we had been assigned another exit row seat, and again zone 1. My son had a middle seat next to me, but that was fine. We actually hadn't booked together since he had a different return, but since we were on the "standby list" together, they seemed to assign seats in order, front to back as available, so we wound up together, or maybe they noticed the same name and did it.

My son flew back on American, and checked in 24 hours in advance and got non-middle seats. I didn't find out about carry ons but he was ready to consolidate to one bag under the seat if needed.

On my return I could only get the 2nd flight seat assigned, again an exit row, 24 hours in advance. When I got to the airport about an hour early, I found they had put me in an exit row for the first flight too.

So, I went 4 for 4 with exit rows, probably by checking in right at 24 hours in advance. Better seats than I would've had with the more expensive regular economy.

As it turned out, my first flight on the return got in early and I had noticed that I had a chance to make an earlier connecting flight. They had already boarded but the doors were open, and after asking me if I was Delta platinum or something like that, they said there was just one seat open in the very back. A terrible seat but it saved me 3 hours in ATL so I took it. As I walked on, I noticed the bulkhead seats were empty but maybe they couldn't or didn't give them to me because of the basic economy ticket. It was only an hour or so flight so no big deal.

I wonder if I just got super lucky with seats, or if basic economy really isn't that bad.

Moving on up

We won't fly basic economy any more.

Our trips from/to BOS/LIS on TAP convinced us that. Cramped seating and treated like dog poop.

Our most recent trips were from/to DEN/CUN on United and we flew business class. Good food, free drinks and smiling stews. It was an extra $800 for the 2 of us and I did not care about price.

On my January trips from/to DEN/BOS, I flew on JetBlue and paid $56 each way for "extra legroom". Worth every dollar. More space and you board before the hoi polloi in basic.

We were partly dreading our ultra-cheapo flight on WOW to Iceland, but it's actually turned out OK so far. Seats aren't particularly spacious, but seemed no worse than standard economy on domestic flights. Like the OP we checked in as soon as we could and ended up sitting together (one window, one aisle) on both flights. We knew there would be no food or entertainment and so brought some snacks on board and loaded up our tablets with books and movies. With those steps taken it's really seemed no worse than any other long flight.... and for ~$300 a piece for RT tickets from LAX to KEF we can't really complain.

Runningbum I think you got reallllllly lucky.

Anyone else finding they'd rather drive?

Drove the family 10 hours one-way last April to visit the school youngest will be attending this fall instead of paying ~$2000 for airfare/rental car.

DW had a good experience with basic economy. It was a last minute trip for only a few days. Not the preferred way to travel for us, but there are probably those that don’t mind it for the price...

there are probably those that don’t mind it for the price...

As Lurch used to say on The Addams Family, "You rang?"

In the 1980s often got upgraded for free with Air France....enjoyed it (as much as one can enjoy flying), but no way I'd pay for it.

I/we just basically get on the plane, zone out, and have (more) money available to spend on things we consider important.

Likewise. I have a drink, put on my noise canceling headphones and go to sleep. I usually get a window seat so no one has to climb over me or wake me up...

Probably! I actually booked it in part because my nephew had come out to visit us and said he had a similar experience (one of two in exit row, both aisle, not sure about the return) so it wasn't singularly lucky. But, I'm a seat watcher normally, always looking to get a better seat, sometimes switching to one if the middle is open, but I'm finding that an hour before those seats all fill up, and I figure it's the basic economy fliers getting seats, mostly middle.

Thanks to a Merrill Visa card bonus gal and I are flying RT from Portland to Hallifax in August for the princely sum of $76 total. Going to be a long day both ways in coach seats, but big deal - it's a long couple of days when I drive from Oregon to SoCal - and I don't have to keep my eyes on the road. Booked our tickets months ago and we keep getting notices of slight changes in the flights, but think that is more a factor of the extreme early booking.
That Merrill/US Bank card is pretty amazing - no annual fee, about $1000 in air fare and the first full weekend of the month they have free admission to many museums and such. Admissions are usually about $20 per person so a good excuse to visit places like the Living Desert or the Japanese Gardens repeatedly.

Drove the family 10 hours one-way last April to visit the school youngest will be attending this fall instead of paying ~$2000 for airfare/rental car.

Heck, yeah. I'm in KC, family is in the Carolinas and I drive over a couple of days. It's not practical for Iceland or India, though!

I agree. Airlines first try to sell Exit Row seats. If no takers, they usually get snapped up by flyers who have status with the airline and, depending on status level, may be able to choose seats earlier and at no charge. I'm glad you managed it but wouldn't count on that happening every time.

Last edited:
I usually fly United. I am always able to select my seats when I purchase tickets and/or when I redeem rewards travel. That is, I don't have to have them pick seats for me if I pick my own seats. I usually get an aisle seat to I don't have to climb over anyone or wake them up --- unless I know I want to sleep on the flight, then I get a window seat and don't mind [-]climbing over anyone[/-] forcing my row-mates to stretch their legs.

Also United allows me a free checked bag, a free carry-on like a roll-aboard, and a free personal item like a backpack. I don't have "status."

I'm almost 6 feet tall and don't feel cramped either. I once paid extra for more leg room on a trip across the Pacific Ocean. It wasn't worth the extra couple of inches.

Clearly, some folks have higher expectations than I do when flying.

Last edited:
I had a lot of misgivings after booking, because I hate airline travel, hate middle seats, and often upgrade to 1st class or premium if it's available.

I wonder if I just got super lucky with seats, or if basic economy really isn't that bad.

If you frequently upgrade, there's your lucky answer. Luck favors the spenders.

I would only do it under specific circumstances. For example, my dad is a ten hour drive away. Now that I’m retired, I’ll go visit him more. In the winter, I’m not going to drive so I’ll leave some clothes at his house and since the flight is only about an hour and a half, I’d be willing to try it. Basically, if a didn’t want to carry anything and just wanted to get there and the flight wasn’t too long, I’d try it. Otherwise, I’m going to try to fly first class. If that’s too expensive, I’m at least going to pick my (aisle) seat.

I've just done two long long long international trips so far this year, both economy. First was Dallas to Melbourne, Aus, on American and Qantas. Had seat assignment problems the entire way over, but not back, despite having them reserved. Second trip was Austin to Johannesburg, thru Chicago and Zurich, on United/Swiss then Lufthansa/United on the return. Despite not being able to reserve prior to 24 hrs, I was able to get aisle seats the entire trip and the food was surprisingly pretty good. I have found these cheapo ($7) seat foot hammocks on Amazon that work exceptionally well and made the seats reasonably comfortable so I could sleep some. Those are some loooong flights!

If you frequently upgrade, there's your lucky answer. Luck favors the spenders.
I was misleading in saying I "frequently upgrade", what I mean is that in the rare times I fly these days, I have upgraded some of those times, more than I used to. More comfort conscious than cost conscious. I don't fly Delta all that often. 3 times in the last 4 years, and I'm pretty sure only one segment in 1st class. I'm certain they don't think of me as a spender.

I have found these cheapo ($7) seat foot hammocks on Amazon that work exceptionally well and made the seats reasonably comfortable so I could sleep some. Those are some loooong flights!
I never heard of those, so I looked them up. If I was sitting in front of you, it would make me miserable because the foot hammocks attach to the seat in front of the user and any movement of the body will transmit to the person in front. It might be as bad as a kid banging on the tray table or kicking the seat back.

I obviously don't know their algorithms, but that could be enough.

Flying above economy even once indicates you have the means and aptitude to upgrade, so you are a more valuable customer.

Or you just were nice, lucky, or had that deserving look on you ;)

I never heard of those, so I looked them up. If I was sitting in front of you, it would make me miserable because the foot hammocks attach to the seat in front of the user and any movement of the body will transmit to the person in front. It might be as bad as a kid banging on the tray table or kicking the seat back.
Not just kids. Yesterday an older guy behind me was jamming something big in the seat pocket with limited success, and would slam the table up and down as needed when drinks came, someone else in the row wanted out, etc, and grabbed the top of my seat to boost himself out of his seat. Finally I leaned into the aisle and looked back as much as I could to give him the idea to knock it off.

Not just kids. Yesterday an older guy behind me was jamming something big in the seat pocket with limited success, and would slam the table up and down as needed when drinks came, someone else in the row wanted out, etc, and grabbed the top of my seat to boost himself out of his seat. Finally I leaned into the aisle and looked back as much as I could to give him the idea to knock it off.

This is one example of why I hope to never fly coach ever again. I understand that jerks, crying adults (I can tolerate little kids crying- their just expressing discomfort), half-dressed pigs, etc can occur in the other cabins. However, my road warrior experience was that the pointy end of the plane was often blissful paradise compared to the chaos in the back. Also, I spoiled DW over the years; even if I decided to go coach, I'b back there all alone. :LOL:

I totally understand others not wanting to pay the "criminal margins" of the premium cabins. We just consider it an expensive indulgence. There's other areas where we pinch those pennies.

Not anymore. We quit driving long distances.

I obviously don't know their algorithms, but that could be enough.

Flying above economy even once indicates you have the means and aptitude to upgrade, so you are a more valuable customer.

Or you just were nice, lucky, or had that deserving look on you ;)

Going basic economy wipes any of those potential perks out for that flight. You are treated as no status/history at all.

We just returned from France, England and Ireland. My wife was in a wheelchair the entire way due to a knee injury.

You wouldn't believe the good service those with mobility issues get. We whizzed through security and got on the planes first--and got the front seats with legroom. At restaurants, we're also seated first.

Now that my wife has received her new knee, we will see if she keeps traveling in that wheelchair for the improved.level of service and seating.

+1
I fly Delta a lot (it's almost the only option where I live), and you definitely were lucky. It's not a bad airline by any means, but they have to make a profit where they can.

Back
Top Bottom