Forced to check carry on, no more room in overhead

I always use a carry on, regardless of the fees, to avoid the dreaded situation with a bag that doesn't arrive with me. Been there, done that, no desire to ever have that experience again.

I don't blame the flight attendants, the gate staff should perform more of a check before allowing folks to board. Arguing with someone after they are already on the plane is a recipe for disaster for everyone boarding.

Southwest does not charge for checked luggage and I do not understand it but folks still haul their stuff onboard....seems to not matter. People have to have their stuff with them.

We like to play the "how do I not pay for checked bags on Delta" game.....We lug our bag to the gate and when they announce that they will need to check luggage for free because no room overhead we gladly surrender our bag and enjoy getting one on Delta. LOL. works every time.

People still haul their stuff on because airlines lose luggage and wont reimburse for losses. That is why we from now on only bring enough stuff that will fit in a carry on. We have had lost luggage before and they refused to reimburse us as we needed to buy new items saying that they needed receipts for the lost items to put a value on them.

Maybe people shouldn't put stuff in their luggage that they can't afford to replace. In all my years of flying for business and pleasure, my luggage has been lost twice, neither one permanently. In the interim, I just bought what I needed for the few days until I got my luggage. Occasionally, I have also had to fly to places on short notice without even so much as a toothbrush. I managed to survive all of them.

NA airlines, IMHO, have brought this on themselves.

Their carry on limits are too big, size and weight, and they do not enforce the ones that they already have.

In our experience, this problem does not occur in many other countries where airlines do enforce for safety reasons and for revenue reasons.

As a result some NA carriers are left with a huge passenger 'entitlement' issue.

Some NA airline are now starting to deal with this. Some will soon have employees using a portable hand held laser gun device to effectively scan carry on luggage dimensions.

This has become a customer sat issue for them as well as a revenue opportunity.

Last edited:
Maybe people shouldn't put stuff in their luggage that they can't afford to replace.

I think in at least 99% of cases, that's a very reasonable rule. My luggage has only been lost by the airline a few times, and I always got it back within a few days. Once it was stolen and permanently lost, but I followed that rule and had my expensive things (camera equipment, etc.) in my carryon.

People still haul their stuff on because airlines lose luggage and wont reimburse for losses. That is why we from now on only bring enough stuff that will fit in a carry on. We have had lost luggage before and they refused to reimburse us as we needed to buy new items saying that they needed receipts for the lost items to put a value on them.

I like it when my stuff is lost....Their $$$ to me is worth more than my clothes.....Happened twice (road warrior) 10 years timeframe.....Once SW and once Delta. Both times I got a check ($500 on one, $750, I think, on another). I came out good.....numerous times it has been delayed and I got it that night/next day.

Two rules at the baggage carousel: 1). hope your luggage never materializes 2). leave with better luggage than you brought

Airlines made this problem worse when they started charging for checked baggage.

An added issue is that the amount of time it takes to get your checked bag has increased. Staffing issues still seem to be taking place.

DW returned from visiting relatives and, because her expandable carry-on was now full to the brim heavy, she decided to check it on her return Southwest flight to BWI. I met her at the baggage carousel, and we waited for her bag to show up.

In the past, at BWI, by the time one walked from the gate to the carousel, the checked bags would either have started to be delivered, or within a few minutes. In fact, I used to be more concerned that the bag might be delivered before I got there, and someone might pick it up by accident.

However, the bags did not start being delivered until almost 30 minutes after she arrived at the carousel. Most people had not checked bags - DW said the flight was full, but there were maybe 30 people waiting at the carousel for checked luggage.

Maybe people shouldn't put stuff in their luggage that they can't afford to replace. In all my years of flying for business and pleasure, my luggage has been lost twice, neither one permanently. In the interim, I just bought what I needed for the few days until I got my luggage. Occasionally, I have also had to fly to places on short notice without even so much as a toothbrush. I managed to survive all of them.

True I try to avoid checking things like electronics, which is much easier to do these days.

My checked bags have been misplaced 3 times in almost 45 years of flying. Never lost, they usually sent it by taxi to my location within 24 hours. Only once was it misplaced on my return flight home, when I usually check my carry-on as (a) I prefer to have less to lug around at that point in the trip., and (b) I am much less concerned about lost/misplaced bags when returning home.

Thread tangent time :): the "funniest" delay was when I was going to a tech conference and would be doing several presentations, the first one Monday morning. I arrive at the airport Sunday evening but my bag did not. Airlines says we know where it went, we will get it to your hotel by Monday evening. At least I had my toiletries with me. I go to my presentation Monday - instead of my normal "business casual" presentation attire, I am in the polo shirt, jeans, and sneakers I wore on the plane. I apologized to the audience, saying "my bag was misplaced, don't worry, I brushed my teeth, showered, and used deodorant". Laughter, and about a half dozen people indicated that their bags had not arrived yet as well. I received some very humorous evaluations (e.g. "great presentation with no noticeable body odor :LOL:").

Once it was stolen and permanently lost, but I followed that rule and had my expensive things (camera equipment, etc.) in my carryon.
that's my approach - if my trip will be negatively impacted in days 1-3, it goes in my carryon.

So, as a high-maintenance gal, that includes my hair/face stuff, a couple of outfits, etc.

I do not think free checked bags is the answer. Perhaps a partial answer. It does not address those who bring on oversized or multiple bags.

I traveled for years on business. Checked bags were free. I never checked a bag.

We get free checked bags on the carrier that we use for most of our flights. We only do carry on. Does not matter if our trip is one week or eight weeks. We use the same international size carry on and keep the weight down to 8-9KG.

I used to be wiling to help people who were boarding and had trouble with their luggage. Not any more. Size...but also weight.

Surprises me that the Workers Comp or the cabin crew union do not object. So many times I have seen the crew straining to lift heavy luggage into the overhead bin.

I think in at least 99% of cases, that's a very reasonable rule. My luggage has only been lost by the airline a few times, and I always got it back within a few days. Once it was stolen and permanently lost, but I followed that rule and had my expensive things (camera equipment, etc.) in my carryon.

I have for years kept my photography equipment in my carry-on and/or backpack.

Happens to us all the time as the flight attendants are useless. We usually have to check our bags at the gate because they says that the flight attendants tell them the overheads are full. As we board the plane and head to our seats we walk by empty overhead bins and bins with carry-ons in them sideways or purses in the bins. The flight attendants are just lazy and don't want to do their jobs.

That's pretty harsh. I don't think I could/want to do their job. And with one flight attendant greeting folks as they board, and one bringing juice to first class, I usually only see one left to take care of the 30+ rows in coach.

I wonder if they automatically announce the bins are full after Group 2 boards (or Group 3 or 4):confused:

I agree that putting bags in the bins sideways is a no-no.

My wife and I spend 6 weeks in Mexico every winter. We check one cheap suitcase (for the both of us) with cheap clothing/sandals, etc., and each have a backpack with toiletries, laptop, etc. that will fit under the seat in front. If the checked bag never arrives we've lost $50 in cheap clothing, no big deal.

Conversely, her daughter takes a week long trip and tries to take half of her closet along.

I have a trip to Thailand in February.

Have booked a couple of flights within the country, one on a LCC.

The standard for the domestic market appears to be 7 km for all your cabin baggage, including personal item.

Will be interesting to see how they enforce on these short flights.

Supposedly they will force you to check but I thought they couldn't put anything with lithium batteries in the cargo hold.

I have a trip to Thailand in February.

Have booked a couple of flights within the country, one on a LCC.

The standard for the domestic market appears to be 7 km for all your cabin baggage, including personal item.

Will be interesting to see how they enforce on these short flights.

Supposedly they will force you to check but I thought they couldn't put anything with lithium batteries in the cargo hold.

Our experience, after six winters in SE Asia and lots of LCC air in Thailand, Vietnam, and Malaysia is that they do indeed enforce them. Some to the letter, others sporadically. Seems to depend on the airport and the carrier. Air Asia, NOK, Jetstar, Scoot, Lion etc. Our flights were typically 1 - 1.5 hrs. Since retiring we have done more AirAsia flights that we have on some domestic carriers.

Very few seem to include the weight the personal item (purse, etc) with the carry on limit. Last time that happened to us was on a Hong Kong Airlines flight from Bangkok.
If I am not certain I place some heavier itens in a jacket pocket. That is good for 1KG for that does not get weighed! We had a Jetstar flight from Brisbane. Our bag was weighed at check in AND again by an agent in the boarding area!

As an example, on our last Air Asia flight from Kuala Lumper to Krabi, Thailand, Air Asia agents were weighing luggage prior to passengers going through security at the AirAsia section of KUL.

We believe that they do give you some leeway on weight...about 1KG. Keep in mind that the carry dimensions are also slightly smaller than the NA dimensions. A carry on label on bag in a luggage store is meaningless. Same in Europe. It is why we switched to a slightly smaller international carry on roller bag.

You will see, as we have, a huge difference in boarding in SE Asia. Same in Europe on LC airlines and in Australia. We only see the carry on boarding disaster in North America...US and Canada.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom