Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Many countries, even desirable ones, have an investor's visa that allows you to stay and live in a country if you put up a big cash bond or buy a business and employ five nationals. If you have money, many doors are open.
In Peru an investors Visa requires ($25000.00) investment.

For this forum most people would be looking at a retirement visa and they are fairly cheap. For example in Peru it requires SSI or pension income of $1,000.00 per month plus $500.00 for each additional dependent. For ER types, it is a $50,000.00 renewable deposit (in your home bank) along with a bank guarantee that $1,000.00 a month will be transferred into a Peruvian institution.

In Cuenca, Ecuador (popular retirement spot) I believe it is only $800.00 a month (?).

Colombia (#1 single male retirees hot spot) I believe it is 150% of the average Colombian wage.

Many of my expat friends (Live in Lima) but work around the world. Peru will give you a 183 day tourist visa and guys that work in the oil industry/private security typically work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off and have based themselves here for 20 years (as tourists). Tourists can own their apartments here and if they spend less than 6 mos (in country) are not tax residents.

I should mention that if you are a qualified retiree, Peru (which taxes worldwide income) does not tax interest/dividends/capital gains/pensions/SSI from foreign sources.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #42

For me, the Bahamas, no question about it. To do it the way I want would be expensive, besides having a nice comfortable beach front house, I want to have enough to have a 2+ bedroom guest house on the property, plus enough free cash flow to fl in and pickup the expenses for whomever I wanted - mostly thinking about my 4 kids and their future spouses and future children.

Health care on the lesser populated islands is definitely a big issues - especially emergency care.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Unclemick, I'm finishing up a TDY assignment in N.O. and can't wait to leave. To each his own! All I see here is crime, decay, and the worst drivers on the planet. Nothing here much appeals to me. However, getting back to the original question, I'd head back to Japan in a heartbeat if money was no object. It is the most civilized place I have ever had the pleasure of living. I love the culture, the Japanese people, and the scenery. There's nothing like a hot bowl of ramen in the winter, daytrip to Lake Ashi (Mt. Fuji) in the summer. Things just "work" in Japan, and you don't have to "watch your back" all of the time. Definitely Japan!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I should mention that if you are a qualified retiree, Peru (which taxes worldwide income) does not tax interest/dividends/capital gains/pensions/SSI from foreign sources.
But you can't get away from the IRS as they will still tax those and any interest and capital gains you have in Peru.

Have you had any issues with Peruvian accounts and the new IRS FATCA law? I'm interested in this as I'll have foreign accounts some time in the future.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are not enough years in life for me to spend time in every place I'd like to live.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, NYEXPAT.

Good information.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
Unclemick, I'm finishing up a TDY assignment in N.O. and can't wait to leave. To each his own! All I see here is crime, decay, and the worst drivers on the planet.
Crime? Well, O.K. It's abominable.

Decay? Well, sadly, it's a fact and even moreso after the hurricane.

But the worst drivers on the planet? No way!!! Have you ever driven in Houston? Houston's a great place and all, but they drive like hopped up maniacs on those Houston freeways. Stick your foot in it, and scream like a banshee as your hurtle on and weave in and out through Houston traffic. Here, the streets have too many potholes and are too rough to drive like that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #48

As a friend told me a couple of years ago, Louisiana is an acquired taste. You can't really just jump in. The typical tourist may get a taste, but it is impossible to experience the cultural differences unless you live here for a long time. The culture here is very different than the rest of the country. I have no problem saying that New Orleanians are some of the most friendly and warm people in the country, and I have lived in several states. The people here have a zest for life that you just don't find in Kansas City (or just about anywhere else)! No plans to retire here, but I sure have enjoyed the past couple of years since I arrived.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
As a friend told me a couple of years ago, Louisiana is an acquired taste. You can't really just jump in. The typical tourist may get a taste, but it is impossible to experience the cultural differences unless you live here for a long time. The culture here is very different than the rest of the country. I have no problem saying that New Orleanians are some of the most friendly and warm people in the country, and I have lived in several states. The people here have a zest for life that you just don't find in Kansas City (or just about anywhere else)! No plans to retire here, but I sure have enjoyed the past couple of years since I arrived.
I love living here, though I don't like the crime and the spectre of Katrina II maybe happening someday. I guess I "jumped right in" back in '96, but I had a job here and made friends quickly so it was full immersion right from the start. Plus I adapt easily. I agree that tourists and visitors really can't see New Orleans in the same way as those of us who actually live here, day in and day out. They don't know that we actually work (or worked), do laundry, shop, and do things other than getting stinking drunk on Bourbon St. every night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
They don't know that we actually work (or worked), do laundry, shop, and do things other than getting stinking drunk on Bourbon St. every night.
What!?

Next you'll be saying there is no Tooth Fairy or Sanity Clause...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What!?

Next you'll be saying there is no Tooth Fairy or Sanity Clause...
I know, ain't it a shocker? I haven't even walked on Bourbon St. in well over a decade. Never took a drink there. F. and I don't drink.

Also the only women dumb enough to bare their breasts for beads during Mardi Gras parades are tourists, not locals. Fully clothed, I can get more beads than I can handle simply because of my silver hair. Little known facts about New Orleans...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Fully clothed, I can get more beads than I can handle simply because of my silver hair. Little known facts about New Orleans...
Now this sounds like a story!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Houston's a great place and all, but they drive like hopped up maniacs on those Houston freeways.
They ARE hopped-up maniacs.

"Pray for me, I drive 610."
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
But you can't get away from the IRS as they will still tax those and any interest and capital gains you have in Peru.
In theory, I suppose you are correct. Most people on a retirement visa (not a path to citizenship) would have their assets in their home countries and would not be generating income in their adopted countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Have you had any issues with Peruvian accounts and the new IRS FATCA law? I'm interested in this as I'll have foreign accounts some time in the future.
Personally, No. The "barn door" will not close till 2013 and my cows left a long time ago! Many countries (Australia, for example) have already said they would not comply and I expect this to continue to spread.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #55

Quote:
Also the only women dumb enough to bare their breasts for beads during Mardi Gras parades are tourists, not locals.
You know, I suspect folks that go to see that kind of thing don't really care where they come from. As long as they're there, bare and plentiful
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You know, I suspect folks that go to see that kind of thing don't really care where they come from. As long as they're there, bare and plentiful
And likewise, I suspect the tourist women don't much care whether they get beads or not - - they just want to get drunk and show what they've got to a crowd of strangers, something they can't really feel comfortable doing back home in Des Moines or Cleveland.

And back to the topic of where in the world other than the US I might want to retire, my answer is.... (drumroll).... nowhere! I'm so red white and blue it hurts. I've spent much of my life in other countries and they are fine, but I want to retire here in the U.S.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Personally, No. The "barn door" will not close till 2013 and my cows left a long time ago! Many countries (Australia, for example) have already said they would not comply and I expect this to continue to spread.
You are kidding yourself if you think there is any comparison to FATCA implementation in Australian vs Peru, Ecuador and Colombia. Australia will gripe about it but do it. The others will be hard pressed to meet the requirements because there is so much laundering going on, which is precisely the purpose of the regulation.

Quote:
In Peru an investors Visa requires ($25000.00) investment.

For this forum most people would be looking at a retirement visa and they are fairly cheap. For example in Peru it requires SSI or pension income of $1,000.00 per month plus $500.00 for each additional dependent. For ER types, it is a $50,000.00 renewable deposit (in your home bank) along with a bank guarantee that $1,000.00 a month will be transferred into a Peruvian institution.

In Cuenca, Ecuador (popular retirement spot) I believe it is only $800.00 a month (?).

Colombia (#1 single male retirees hot spot) I believe it is 150% of the average Colombian wage.

Many of my expat friends (Live in Lima) but work around the world. Peru will give you a 183 day tourist visa and guys that work in the oil industry/private security typically work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off and have based themselves here for 20 years (as tourists). Tourists can own their apartments here and if they spend less than 6 mos (in country) are not tax residents.

What do Peru, Colombia and Ecuador have in common? They are well known for money laundering, drug transporting and sex trade. Not my idea of a place for early, late or any other type of retirement. It does explain in part why it is so easy to live there, as long as one has cash and is not too nosy. My choices are more positive toward those countries that make a greater effort to discourage the seemier underside of humanity.

Members here should note that US immigration and other agencies pay special attention to US residents and citizens who live in, transfer money to or regularly visit those countries.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Crime? Well, O.K. It's abominable.

Decay? Well, sadly, it's a fact and even moreso after the hurricane.

But the worst drivers on the planet? No way!!! Have you ever driven in Houston? Houston's a great place and all, but they drive like hopped up maniacs on those Houston freeways. Stick your foot in it, and scream like a banshee as your hurtle on and weave in and out through Houston traffic. Here, the streets have too many potholes and are too rough to drive like that.

LOL.... yes, that is why Houston drivers think where ever they go those drivers are bad....

'HEY, the speed limit is 55, why are you only going 70 MOVE IT BUDDY'...

Or you just hear the bullet hitting the window....
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly, New Orleans and Houston don't even make the top 10 US cities with the worst drivers per this story: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...worst-drivers:

Quote:
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Americans got into 10.2 million motor vehicle accidents in 2008, the last year for which data are available. Although that number has been trending downward over the past several years, car accidents are the leading cause of death for young Americans.

The average American gets into a car accident once every 10 years, but certain cities are particularly perilous, according to insurance company Allstate's newly released best drivers report, which ranks drivers in America's 200 largest cities according to car accident frequency.
Here are the worst 10:
10. Alexandria
9. San Francisco
8. Jersey City, NJ
7. Hartford, CT
6. Philadelphia
5. Providence, RI
4. Newark, NJ
3. Glendale, CA
2. Baltimore
1. Washington, DC
Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #60