Besides here in the US, what place in the world will you retire?

charliebromley

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm 25 years old and I'm trying to keep my options open in terms of retirement. Let's say you're settled for life, you're made, and money is not a problem. Your family is here in the US but for some reason, you don't want to retire here. Where else in the world will you go and retire? Thanks for those who will answer.

Hi charliebromley, welcome to the forum. Feel free to stop by here to tell us a little about yourself.

Australia! Immigrate with your family when they are young so you won't be needing a long flight to see your grandchildren.

Last edited:
Mexico, India, Italy, New Zealand, Costa Rica....maybe all :)

I'm 25 years old and I'm trying to keep my options open in terms of retirement. Let's say you're settled for life, you're made, and money is not a problem. Your family is here in the US but for some reason, you don't want to retire here. Where else in the world will you go and retire? Thanks for those who will answer.

Whatever that reason is, it will most likely have a significant bearing on how you decide your destination. Care to tell us your reason?

For me it's the UK, but I'm a dual UK/US citizen so that's a bit obvious. For another country it would probably be Eire, although anywhere in the EU would be in play because of healthcare.

Not enough information.

If you are looking into the future, the world is changing too fast. It is changing beyond recognition every decade--literally--and the pace is accelerating.

Do not expect to go to one place and stay for the rest of your life--even in the USA--in your working life or in retirement/financial independence phase.

Be aware that some places you may want to go to will not let you stay (e.g., Canada, New Zealand, most of Europe, etc etc).

Like MichaelB, Kramer, HaHa and others here, I have been many places around the world. All that said, first choice for my wife and me is still the USA--if we can afford it!! Survival will be excitement enough. We don't need discos in Torremolinos or climbing the Himalayas. You might.

I have a list of places where I would like to spend extended periods of time after I hang up the slide rule, which is in a couple of years. Having good genes, we could last another 30 years.

For us, Mexico is the second choice (only a few locations and with reservations). The next group includes Belize and maybe four South American countries. The third group includes Turkish Cyprus and maybe Portugal or Spain. Mexico and Belize have the advantage of being close to home.

If we had the money, we would go back to Denmark in a flash.

You can have Asia, India, Africa and Newark. Been there.

It's changed over the years and will probably continue to change, but Germany (lived there for 4 years and loved it), Switzerland, Austria, Italy, New Zealand, Singapore, the UK, Bali come to mind. I'd like to visit China and India (maybe 6-12 months in each), but not live there.

Last edited:
Western/Northern Europe for me, Switzerland or France probably, southern Germany maybe. I have family in that part of the world and the proper paperwork to make it a real possibility.

You mentioned in your intro post that you're looking for a girlfriend--go visit some places you think you might like and when you find the place you like best, start flirting!

Lately I've gotten a fascination with Aruba. Back in early November, I went there with some friends for a week, and kinda fell in love. Dunno what it would be like to live there 24/7, but I sure wouldn't mind going back!

Australia! Immigrate with your family when they are young so you won't be needing a long flight to see your grandchildren.

+1

I would spend May-Oct in New England and Nov-Apr in Australia. Only spent 3 weeks there once about 12 year ago, but I loved the place.

As someone has already said, this world is changing too fast so better not plan anything today as if writing in the stone.

In today's world, my preference would be, Sweden, lived there for a decade, absolutely brilliant place if you take crappy weather.
Eire, another spot but with stupid politicians I don't know how they will take this country to the 3rd world.
Italy, language will be a BIG issue here but again same comment as for Eire.
France and Switzerland, a big NO NO, unless you are white and in good health. Racism is super rampant. I had such a bad experience in Switzerland as a tourist that I am not for those countries.
India, a good place to retire but they are implementing US healthcare model slowly so if you are not in good health and the great politicians of India, you will have to re-weigh your option.
New Zealand, I am seriously considering this one. Never heard anything bad about it, just if you can stand long flights.

I experienced extended stays in both New Zealand and Australia, prefer the latter. The south island of New Zealand is much like the Pacific NW, which I love. What I didn't like was their attitude about their first people. Australia is far from perfect in that regard but NZealders that I met were very condescending.

One think I heard from the locals was: NZ was settled by people who came here to do good, AU by castoffs from British prisons*. AU got the best of it. *Most of those prisoners were indigents because Britain had full debtors prisons.

Generally speaking the economy of AU is stronger than NZ.

New Orleans.

But you will have to take lessions locally so you can learnt ta talk rite and live to eat.

heh heh heh - be prepared for a period of cultural shock when you first arrive. :dance:

They keep trying to make it part of the US. ;). I shall return once the snow hits Kansas City.

My compromise was Hawaii. Yes, it's still the USA but it ain't America. YMMV

I think choosing only one place to live is like choosing one food to eat forever. It's a fun game but not real life, and if it were, would be boring as heck. If you're "set" as you say, why choose at all? Find a place convenient to a large int'l airport, such as JFK, LAX, SFO or and travel. That way you get to see lots of different places. Live in a small condo, easy to shut down for long periods, and then take long trips.

You mentioned in your intro post that you're looking for a girlfriend--go visit some places you think you might like and when you find the place you like best, start flirting!
That would work better than most ideas. Search this forum for posts by Trek, who went to Estonia.

I repeat: you cannot just move some place and stay there because you want to. Every country that I am aware of has a limit on how long one can legally stay in their country. Some Latin American countries in practice allow border runs every 3 months or so to restart the clock, but they could start enforcing the rule any time. Mexico and Belize have the easiest residency rules I know of. NZ for sure does not want you to stay. If you are older than 35, Australia will not take you either, although I understand that an engineer can work there under certain circumstances.

Anyone considering this should look very carefully before he leaps.

Many countries, even desirable ones, have an investor's visa that allows you to stay and live in a country if you put up a big cash bond or buy a business and employ five nationals. If you have money, many doors are open.

Many countries, even desirable ones, have an investor's visa that allows you to stay and live in a country if you put up a big cash bond or buy a business and employ five nationals. If you have money, many doors are open.

there were some posts on malta a long while back that made it look like an interesting place if one was interested in that general area of the world.

Whatever that reason is, it will most likely have a significant bearing on how you decide your destination. Care to tell us your reason?

You're right. For now, the reasons that I see that will make me want to move away when I get old is maybe political and economic instability, low-quality of living (e.g. too much crime, racial and gender discrimination), and environmental issues. That's all I can think of as of the moment.

Too young (and broke) for me to actually go anywhere and get married. If I were to choose though, I want an Asian wife. :LOL:

A low tax, indiscreet, low crime, state in the USA is still a prime retirement location. We just have to downsize on almost everything. Or go with what you think is a lifestyle location but take a sacrifice in higher taxes.

I don't know if they allow Investor's VISA in Canada, but there are certain part of British Columbia which looks good.

Since I was born in the Philippines, this and other third world countries offer retirement VISA . I can rent a nice Condo in a nice suburb and prob. live on $2000/month in style, but the moment you get out of the locale,then there is congestion, crime and poverty. A 6 months stay/yr there can work.

Forget about Sweden, unless you speak fluent Swede. Been there. Even if you do, those people don't want you there. They are the most narrow minded people you will ever meet.

Mexico- is Ok in some location. Contrary to stereo typing, the typical
Mexican is rather low keyed and docile.

Costa Rica- lots of Americans there.

As most say, if you can afford it, USA is still the best.

Back
Top Bottom