Best (and Cheapest) of Eastern Europe

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hey Gang.

What is the best, safest and cheap Eastern European Vacation?

We like history, architecture, good food, friendly people (to Americans), etc... average touristy stuff.

Have you has any recent experience? Any suggestions.

Plus, any comments on the cost and time of year to visit would be helpful.

Thanx

We really liked Prague in the Czech Republic. We went about 5 years ago. Not too pricy at the time. As I recall, we had a great meal for just over $5 US (four courses). We stayed in a bed and breakfast...I think it was about $30. The beds were pretty bad, just a thin matress, but the hospitality was great...and the breakfast was terrific. City center was full of beautiful architecture, lots of street artists, and interesting folks. In talking to DW, we recall the whole long weekend jaunt (3 days) cost less than $200, including gas from the western part of Germany...and those are European gas prices!

As for safety, the B and B had us park our car in their locked driveway and we took the subway into the city, as there was a good bit of auto theft at the time. But we never feared for our personal safety. As for our money and valuables, we were just aware of our surroundings...but not more than when we travel anywhere.

It was interesting to still see some of the "old Czech" things around. There is a subway station, for instance, with a giant bronze Czech flag flying next to a giant bronze Soviet flag. On the way out of Prague, we stopped at the Pilsner Urquell brewery. If you like beer, this place was awesome!!!

It was a few years back, and I can't vouch for the prices any longer...but I would recommend it.

Croatia

Mediterranean at half the price of Italy. History, ruins, fun people, good food.

I second Croatia! The big highlight is the Dalmatian Coast with its spectacular islands and the beautiful city of Dubrovnik. Zagreb is worth a day and a night and Plitvice Lakes Nat'l Park is a great place to spend an afternoon.

Its neighbor to the north, and also a former part of the former Yugoslavia, is Slovenia, a real underrated destination. Capital city Ljubljana is very charming. The Lake Bled area surrounded by the Julian Alps is wonderful as is the Soca River Valley. Raft or canoe in the dramatic turquoise waters of the Soca. Really pleasant.

Overall I thought the food was better in Croatia but the wine was better in Slovenia. One interesting but rather sad part of the countryside, particuarly in Croatia and, of course, in neighboring Bosnia, are the remnants of the 90s war.

I also enjoyed Prague and it was still quite cheap when I went in 2006. One thing that helped on costs was I found a person on Craigslist who coordinates rentals with local apartments (and even spare rooms of local families).

I stayed with a local Czech family for something like $20 US per night, and apartments weren't much more than that. If you decide to go to Prague and want this guy's information, I can get it for you. He was extremely helpful... provided a map, showed me where everything was, provided explicit travel details to help me while around, recommended some wonderful local sights, and told me where I could get good Czech food without paying the touristy prices (which still aren't all that bad).

I would recommend his services in a heartbeat, though next time I'd probably also explore more outside of the actual city of Prague. Public transport is quite easy there as well.

is there enough english speaking people in eastern europe so that an extended stay of 3 to 6 months would not be too uncomfortable for someone who speaks only english?

Prague is great for a 3 day stay or so, although it is getting a lot more expensive these days. Budapest is another consideration. I'll third Croatia as well.

I vote for Croatia as well. Family is from Croatia,so I'm slightly biased, but it is just gorgeous.

I took DH there in 2004 to visit the relatives and we wound up staying 2 extra days in Dubrovnik since DH loved it so much. The majority of people speak English so you shouldn't have a problem. Since I don't have any immediate family in Dubrovnik we rented a private room in a house for about $40 (CAD)/night. Once the landlady found out that my family was Croatian she invited DH and I to join her for breakfast every morning :D.

I vote for Croatia as well. Family is from Croatia,so I'm slightly biased, but it is just gorgeous.

I took DH there in 2004 to visit the relatives and we wound up staying 2 extra days in Dubrovnik since DH loved it so much. The majority of people speak English so you shouldn't have a problem. Since I don't have any immediate family in Dubrovnik we rented a private room in a house for about $40 (CAD)/night. Once the landlady found out that my family was Croatian she invited DH and I to join her for breakfast every morning :D.

Hey I was there in '04 as well. Also stayed part of the time in a guest room in a house just a little north of Dubrovnik. Was that you that used all the hot water? ;)

Back
Top Bottom