Best Season?

CuppaJoe

Moderator Emeritus
What’s your favorite season where you live? Everywhere I’ve lived, Sept. and Oct. are warm, the tourists are gone, kids are back in school, the water is warm, the leaves turn. Some people here like rainy days in November because they signal snow on the ski slopes. What’s the best month to travel to your area?

Late fall after the kiddies are in school and the temps are moderate. This is also before the winter snowbirds clog the roadways and enjoy the warmth and harsh winter escape.

My favorite season is fall (where they have the seasons) with crisp mornings and mother natures art displayed for all to enjoy.

March and April, assuming we've had enough rain for a nice wildflower season. The problem is that this immediately leads into the six month season known as "summer."

Winter in southern Arizona - highs in the mid-60's to 70's, lows in the 30's and 40's. Sunny.

August in northern Arizona. Summer rainfall has brought out the wildflowers and grass, the wildlife seems most abundant. Sunny mornings, warming to the mid-80's, then clouding up in the afternoon with a chance for a thunderstorm. Negative aspect is maximum tourists. September is also nice, after the monsoon ends. Crisp mornings and sunny afternoons in the mid-70's. Tourists are largely gone, but hunting seasons start.

October is consistently beautiful in New Orleans, and generally considered to be the best month to visit.

But really I like all of the months except August and September, when the heat and hurricane threats get to be a little tiresome.

Anytime the weather is warm enough to go outside without a heavy jacket and gloves.

Usually that's from late April to mid-November, but sometimes extends to early December. Except for the Harper's Ferry area we don't have any issues with tourists and we stay away from there during the summer.

High temperatures don't bother me - I don't come out of long sleeves until the temperature hits 80 F - but I would rather be someplace where I'll never see snow again.

I love the fall best here in western PA. But summer has suited me immensely,too. On the cool side. Very comfortable for walking and I have also saved on the air conditioning.

Dec-April (our summer) constant sunshine 75-85 and nary a raindrop! June to November (our winter) 55-65 some sun, a lot of fog. Wall to Wall tourists, still no rain, but a nice misting every other day!

My favorite time in Florida is late October and November . The tourists haven't arrived and the beaches are perfect . I miss fall up north so I usually visit it every year. This year we will be spending some fall days in Boston and Maine .

October through February, when the temps are usually below 100 (but not always - we hit 100 in February of 1996).
What he said except we don't hit 100 until April or so.

There's a retired guy at the old doughnut shop that can't wait til really cold freezing weather so he can trap and make pelts - of several kinds. I think he had an office job before retirement. Strange hobby.

Me closing in on fours years post Katrina(30 yrs New Orleans) can't make up my mind whether I truly love snow yet - like my youth outside Seattle, Denver when I could still snow ski.

Snowmobile - Kansas City? Nope I don't think so.

heh heh heh - I'll take October til I change my mind. :greetings10:.

Until this year, my favorite season was July 4 - August 15. We usually have nice days on and off the entire year.

Now, not sure. Maybe if the stores restock I will buy one of those portable AC machines. I won't need it until next year, and may not even then but I imagine I will use it more if I do have it. Not very efficient, but better than nothing.

Ha

Winter in southern Arizona - highs in the mid-60's to 70's, lows in the 30's and 40's. Sunny.

August in northern Arizona. Summer rainfall has brought out the wildflowers and grass, the wildlife seems most abundant. Sunny mornings, warming to the mid-80's, then clouding up in the afternoon with a chance for a thunderstorm. Negative aspect is maximum tourists. September is also nice, after the monsoon ends. Crisp mornings and sunny afternoons in the mid-70's. Tourists are largely gone, but hunting seasons start.

Arizona does have a wonderful variety of weather and terrain. We were there in June and experienced some unusual extremes in the space of a few hours. At noon, I was at 11,500 feet above sea level at the top of the ski area chair lift in the mountains north of Flagstaff. Temperature 56 deg. F

2 1/2 hours later we were in Sedona, temperature 91 deg. F! Had we continued driving south for a few more hours, we would have been treated to 105+ deg. in Phoenix!

Our home area (eastern Washington State) is especially nice in the late spring from mid-April to mid-June. Everything is green from the winter snow melt followed by the spring rains. By July, the heat comes on, followed by the smoke and haze from dozens of forest fires in the region.

Yep, at this moment (3:36 pm) it is 105 F in Phoenix and 63 F in Flagstaff. 42 degree difference, and Flagstaff is only 7,000' and at the base of the San Francisco Peaks.

Just left Phoenix last week on my drive back to Illinois. It was a little below 100 when I left at 9am, went through Flagstaff where it was a cool 80. Then hit Utah at 106. Then into the 50's in Colorado.

Best season in Az - winter (November through April)
Best season in Il - fall (September, October)

September, October and the first half of November. Weather is still pleasant, usually decent amount of sun and you get the bounty of harvest followed by all the colors in the trees.

I live in Virginia - fall is my favorite season. The beauty of the leaves, a little nip in the air, and the urge to have a cup of hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows.

I heard the other day that we are sending you "North Americans" an "El Nino" this year. You may want to adjust your seasonal travel plans accordingly!

I heard the other day that we sending you "Northerners" an "El Nino" this year. You may want to adjust your seasonal travel plans accordingly!

Just as a friendly aside - - in the South, at least, whether or not someone is a "Northerner" has absolutely nothing to do with that person's geographic location. This is a perfect illustration of that fact. :)

Just as a friendly aside - - in the South, at least, whether or not someone is a "Northerner" has absolutely nothing to do with that person's geographic location. This is a perfect illustration of that fact. :)
Duly noted and corrected. In South America, people "bristle" when people from the USA refer to themselves as Americans! It's not always easy to be PC.:)

Back
Top Bottom