Boeing 787

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody flown the 787? If so, what did you think of it as compared to a 777 or an Airbus 330 or 340?

Yes, flew one of the first ones in service for LAN Chile airlines last September. Roomier than the 777 - especially under the seat. More gizmos (but that depends on the airline).

I flew in 2013 on LAN from Chile to New York in a business class seat. It was the best flying experience I've ever had. Very roomy and luxurious. Been looking for another opportunity to fly a 787 ever since.

A friend who was a test pilot for Airbus was invited by Boeing to fly the 787 and really liked it. Prior to working for Airbus he had previously helped Boeing with the 787 cockpit designed.

Yes, flew one of the first ones in service for LAN Chile airlines last September. Roomier than the 777 - especially under the seat. More gizmos (but that depends on the airline).

I've heard that could depend on the configuration of the seats. People on Flyertalk's United forums are saying it's more packed than other wide bodies.

But then I was just reading, that the newer planes do better with reducing sound, providing more humidity, resulting in more feeling more rested after a long flight.

Boeing specifically claims the non metal hulls allow for different pressurization.

I flew ANA 787 from SEA to Tokyo and found it a positive experience. A also like 777's but the ANA IFE system was very nice (pretty big screens even in coach). Might sound weird but the LAV's are also very "user friendly". You don't have to touch anything!

Beautiful clip. Looks as light and nimble as a Cessna Skyhawk.

At the Oskosh airshow in 1976 they had an Boeing 707 on a ferry flight do a couple of flybys for photo ops and on the last one they did a chandelle on the way out. I was out of film by then and I forget which airline it was. I doubt any of them would do that now.

No, not a simulation the real deal. Bear in mind it is empty of passengers (except perhaps a few who wanted to go for the ride) no cargo, and probably less than 1/4 of a normal fuel load to reduce weight.

All that would make a huge difference in performance at an air show.

Yes, the clip was put up by Boeing, with credit for the filming by an outside company. It is true that some maneuvers look impossible, even if the plane was light. I recall seeing a C-17 being put through a similar hard climbing turn right after take-off, and it ended up in a disaster. :nonono:

They probably also held it on the ground until the wheel/tire limits to build up all the speed they could.

My friend who works there said, "Short of the 707 rollover on Lake Washington but still pretty impressive."

Many Boeing-ites are still very concerned about the long term reliability of the 787 air frame and would never fly on one. I hope it's just their conservative nature talking. I guess we'll all find out.

I love what must have been at least a couple of seconds of zero G when they leveled off after the initial takeoff...

That maximum angle take off profile is about standard for everything at John Wayne airport in Orange county ca. At least it feels like it :LOL: ( done for noise abatement reasons).

Alaska Air used to fly Long Beach to SFO, offload most passengers and freight , then a last stop at Oakland across the bay , little fuel, freight or passengers about 90 seconds rotate to touch down. Better than some roller coasters :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom