California trip

San Diego, if you look on priceline, #10, 3 and 1 regions are good places to stay. We got a hotel right next to old town and could walk there, very fun.

If you like outdoorsy stuff, you can find beautiful beaches in SD.

In LA - again, depends what you like. You can get good food/views in Malibu off pch, take a hike, or sit on the beach. If you like weirdness/eclectic then walk on Venice, if you like malls/shopping then go to 3rd street/Santa Monica pier or the Grove off 3rd and fairfax. High end shopping can be had all over LA, rodeo just has the most pricey stuff if you can afford it or like to gawk, but otherwise it's not that interesting. Melrose between (@fairfax) is fun for more people watching interesting shops. TONS of good food everywhere, just depends on what you like.

Also, I highly recommend the Griffith Park observatory - it's recently had a remodel and is beautiful - has an incredible view of LA (on a clear nite is the best in town) and has great models of the planets etc if you like that stuff. You could do the observatory, hike on the same mountain and hang out in griffith park, go to LA zoo too if you like. The getty has beautiful architecture, but collection is not that great.

SF if you like outdoorsy, go to the Redwood forest as someone else suggested, hikes in that area are incredible. The one in the national park is easy 3 mile loop i've done when my dd was 2years old so anyone can do that. Also, the golden gate bridge is fun.

But if you can do the drive, Monterey/Big Sur is incredibly beautiful, i'd rather do that than SF if I had the choice...

Lived in L.A. until I was 22, I've lived in San Diego since then. L.A. is one dirty town, and I can't emphasize what others have said here enough: it takes forever to get anywhere there, and it's pretty dirty. The Getty is amazing, if you were to do anything, that would be the ticket. Also, it's right along the 405 so you can avoid getting too far off track.

Things like the Wild Animal Park are really awesome, but pretty far out of the way. I'd stick to the zoo, Balboa park, and old town in San Diego. If you are going to stay in L.A. a neat hotel is the Bonaventure . It's been featured in numerous Hollywood movies and has amazing architecture. All the rooms have a curved outer wall because it's circular, get a room up high for the view.

I recommend a short stay in L.A. and the drive up Highway 1. You can compromise and just do the 101 portion that breaks off from Highway 1 about halfway up. The 101 heads inland a bit and goes a little straighter, will shave a couple hours off the drive, if you must. Solvang is a neat town, if you have the time.

I love San Fran, we have friends up there and drive up often. Golden Gate park, the pier area, China Town (have some Dim Sum while you are there!). Others know the area better, but take advantage of both the trolley system and BART, as their mass transportation system is better than most CA cities.

When in LA, which is 4 hours away from me, I visit cemeteries in and around the city. Here I see the graves of the stars. I find boneyards facinating. In one cemetary, off of Whilshire, is Westwood, where Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, Rodney Dangerfield, and many more are found in a pretty small area easy to navigate. For those interested, LA is full of these places.

Here is the website.
Where the Stars Are Buried: Stars' Graves

Where the Stars Are Buried: Stars' Graves

Jug, that's really off the beaten path. Quite interesting, though it may not be for everybody...

About SD, you may consider driving to Sunset Cliffs, and Point Loma for sightseeing. Don't know about you, but as a landlocked Arizonan, I cannot have enough of the ocean view.

There's also SeaWorld in SD, although you may have been to its sisters elsewhere, such as in Orlando.

Someone mentioned LA Zoo. Hmm, it never occurred to me that LA, or for that matter, most large metropolitan areas got a zoo. But after the SD zoo, it is tough to go to another one...

About Napa, it is only 1 hr drive from SF. Been there twice, and will come back if I have the chance. Not a wine connaisseur, but I enjoyed the drive through the country side. There are smaller wineries that offer informal tasting, and open their winery ground for picnicking, and will sell you their wine with bread, cold cuts, and cheese. You could do a lot worse than spending an afternoon that way. Or, you can take the Napa Wine Train (my schedule never seemed to work out).

If you want to spend the night in Napa - the reason will become clear later - and want to splurge (hey it's her big birthday after all, right?), then make a reservation at the French Laundry Restaurant, for a prix fixe dinner. Any foodie would know Chef Thomas Keller and his restaurant as No.1 in the US. Nine courses, and lasting 3-4 hrs. See how you would not want to drive back to SF the same night?

No, I have not been to Napa since I learned of this restaurant, and would seriously consider this experience (would be easier last year, at the market height for sure). At least, one should consider Bouchon, a less expensive bistro by the same chef, also in Napa. Once in a big while, one must permit oneself to interpret LBYM as Live Beyond Your Means!

About the RedWood, I only now realize people were talking about Muir Woods, while I was thinking of the coastal Redwood Parks way up north, past Eureka, and near the Oregon border. Hence I was babbling about going up to Coos Bay. Silly me! By the way, I have not been to Muir Woods, though I have been to SF so many times.

PS. There's also Yosemite Park, and the Sequoia Park. It's more than 200 mi from SF, so may not work out for you. CA is a big state! Better save that for next time.

Thanks for the tip on the French Laundry. DW and I enjoy those types of dining experiences.

If you are a foodie, I suggest reading "Soul of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman. He also wrote two books on recipes and cooking techniques by Thomas Keller. And on the Food Network, I have seen other chefs "bow" before Keller as THE master.

Being frugal all my life, I start to loosen up a bit more now when I travel. As we do not eat out much when we are at home in "hermit" mode, even splurges like this do not bring our dining expenses to anywhere the level of other people.

I would make a half day out of the Lombard Street crooked block thing. Try to do it without your car, maybe get off the Hyde Street cable car there, walk down, at the bottom of the block look for the wild parrots in a tree next to Lombard Street, turn left, one block and stop at Fay Park (Chestnut and Leavenworth), a house that was willed to the city, has a Thomas Church garden,

Then cross Chestnut and go into 800 Chestnut Street, the San Francisco Art Institute which has two galleries open to the public (one of which is open until 10 p.m. every day because they pride themselves on keeping the Diego Rivera mural accessible) and a courtyard lined with student work, enjoy a healthy lunch there--spectacular view and interesting school ambiance, the library there is also an interesting place to rest your feet, has an old wooden card catalog. It’s an easy walk down to the Wharf from there or go back up and take the Greenwich Street stair walk instead of Lombard, that is one of the city’s hidden treats.

Then take a look at the view from Sterling Park above Hyde and Greenwich and on to Hyde and Union for hand-packed ice cream or tapas, and finally check out the Russian Hill Dog Grooming Shop, the guy is an artist with poodle fur.

Here are recent shots from the bottom of the crooked street:

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3151.jpg
    IMG_3151.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 1
The French Laundry. Never been, but a good friend of ours went (took his Mom) and said it rocked. I don't think this price includes wine.

The French Laundry

$240 for a 9-course chef's tasting menu.

Reservations accepted (and probably required, frankly) up to two months in advance.

Jacket and slacks required for dinner, but no tie.

That would be a great splurge, I think!

I like going to Sausalito on a ferry. Sausalito has a totally different feel from SF, and I like shopping there (tons of amber jewerly imported from Poland). They also have some art stores/galleries and such. You can go to the restaurant right on the marina (can't remember the name but you can't miss it.) Maybe Sausalito is a place women enjoy more, I don't know.

You could take a tour bus to Muir Woods from SF and some of those have a stop in Sausalito, I think.

There are a few bicycling stores you can rent bikes from to ride the bike from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito, etc. (I've never done it since I am almost always out of shape, but I really want to ride the bike over the GG Bridge!)

Bring wind breakers. I live in the South Bay, but when I go to the city, I make sure and pack a wind breaker and ear muffs (cold wind on my ears gives me a headache.)

tmm

Do I need a rental car in SF? I was assuming that I didnt.
BART runs right into the airport (SFO), fare to the city is $5.35 and then another $1.50 for a bus or the F-line streetcar to the Wharf. City transit day passes are $11.00, cable car alone is a rip off at $5.00, you can buy the passes on board the cable car. The area around the Wharf is very safe and you can walk a lot of places in less than an hour. You might want to get your legs in shape for walking up and down hills. I have always found cabs non-existent at the Wharf but okay downtown.

UPDATE:

Ive been doing a lot of research. Good thing to because originally I was planning to fly to SF which wouldve been a HUGE mistake. So far heres the updated itinerary for the trip:

Fly to San Diego...Pick up rental car (convertible PT Cruiser)...Total of 3 days here. Stay at this B&B....Casa Granada
Things on the "to do and see list"
1) Indoor Rock Climbing
2) Zoo
3) Presidio Park
4) Gaslamp District
5) 2 hr sunset cruise on sailboat (just us 2 and the captain)

Day 4 ..drive to Beverly Hills / Hollywood
1) Rodeo Drive
2) Sunset strip
3) Mulholland drive
4) Walk of fame
5) If time permits, Venice Beach
Head over to Malibu to spend the night here
Residence Inn Los Angeles Westlake Village: Spacious suites and amenities for longer stays

Day 5....Malibu
1) Mostly sightseeing ..checking out beaches, local shopping, driving the hills
2) Found info on an awesome hike from the beach to the top of the mountain
3) Stay at same place tonight

Day 6......Mostly a driving day
1) Drive to SLO for a winery tour
2) Drive to San Simeon to see Hearst Castle
3) Drive to Big Sur to spend the night here: Monterey Lodging & Accommodations at Colton Inn located in the heart of historic downtown Monterey CA. I had to compromise a bit on this hotel. Monterey / Big Sur area seems to be very expensive

Day 7
1) Horseback riding at Big Sur
2) Monterey Aquarium
3) Drive to SF...havent found hotel yet but I was thinking of staying in Fishermans Wharf area.

Days 8-10
1) Drive to Muir woods. We love hiking!.Will turn in car when we get back
2) Alcatraz
3) Bike across GG bridge...Take ferry back from Sausalito
4) Lombard Street
5) ChinaTown
6) USS Pampanito
7) Angel Island
8) Golden Gate Park

ect ect...lots to do in SF. I may have to extend this to 11 days. Im so excited planning this trip that I dont know if I can keep it a secret from my wife until June.....UGH !!!!

Which Way?

I've driven the coast highway between L.A. and S.F several times(both directions). The best way imo is to drive from north to south, as then you're on the outside lane of the roadway and the views are better. fwiw

5) If time permits, Venice Beach

If time doesn't permit, find more time. I've lived a lot of places but Venice is maybe the only place I would willingly return to. I don't see any time devoted to swimming. If you are brave you can swim all winter long, other than when there are storms.

Ambitious but very nice trip you have planned. Enjoy! And don't be surprised if either you or your wife refuses to return to wherever you live.

Ha

San Diego....

Lived there for years....

For a good outdoor dining experience - try Old Town. Mexican: Casa de Pico. The Bazaar Del Mundo is one of the attractions in this area and is fun to walk around in. If near Christmas, the Old Town State Park is basically a square with nice walking amongst the Luminaria's and attractions. The Old Town Theater usually has fun musicals that you can take in after dinner....all while parking your car once.

For a taste of the traditional So. Calif. beaches - drive along US 101 north from Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Calrsbad. The villages are fun to stop in and browse the local arts, shops, etc. The view of the ocean from Swami's Beach, south of Encinitas on 101 is breath-taking. Our favorite beach was always Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. ;)

Lets see some pics when you get back home again and also a
what you liked and what you would avoid next time. thanks

utrecht - sounds like a great itinerary! have a great time...

Heres a question:

This is my wifes surprise 40th birthday present. She loves surprises so thats not a problem, but I wonder how far to take the surprise aspect. At this point she knows Im planning a big surprise but doesnt know if its a big trip, a big party, a present or whatever. Obviously at some point I will have to tell her we're taking a trip and tell her what kind of clothes to pack. And when we get to the airport, she'll know we're going to SD, but how far after that point do I keep the surprise going?

She'll assume we are going to SD for the weekend, or maybe a week or whatever. She wont know we are going multiple places or how long we are staying anywhere. For me personally, I think I would have more fun if I knew how long the full trip was going to be. It seems I can relax more on day 4 of a vacation if I know its a 10 day vacation. If I was on day 4, and it turned out that was my last day and I didnt know it, I might do things differently and I would be dissapointed when it was suddenly over. Also, I think some of the fun is the anticipation of going certain places instead of just showing up and being there.

So, once we get to the airport, should I spill the beans about the whole thing or let her be surprised day by day as to where we are going and what we are doing or what? I mean should we be in the hotel in SD on day 3 and then I tell her "you need to start packing this evening, we are heading somewhere else in the morning"?

Heres a question:

So, once we get to the airport, should I spill the beans about the whole thing or let her be surprised day by day as to where we are going and what we are doing or what? I mean should we be in the hotel in SD on day 3 and then I tell her "you need to start packing this evening, we are heading somewhere else in the morning"?

Without knowing your wife, I can only offer that my own wife (and I, for that matter) would prefer to know the rough itinerary at the beginning. On any trip, there's a bit of fluidity from day-to-day in terms of what you do and see, and she might want to prioritize certain activities if she knows how long you'll be in any given place.

Sounds like a great trip!

Last time we went to San Francisco we stayed at the Executive hotel Vintage Court . Great location , great price , free continental breakfast and a wine tasting every night . We had so much fun there plus you could walk to most places and the trolley stopped at the corner . Great little Mexican restaurant across the street and Chinatown was two blocks away . All the rooms are named for different wines . Fisherman's wharf is very touristy .It is nice to visit but not to stay in that area .

Utrecht - if it were my DW, I would have to tell her in advance not to plan anything from when to when, otherwise she would have a full schedule and have to scamper to cancel everything...and she does make commitments pretty often that aren't so easy to break...fwiw

R

Utrecht

When in Monterey on the way north go eat at the Whole Enchilada. A must! It is about 20 miles north on Rt 1.

The aquarium is FANTASTIC!! Give yourself 3 hours to see it.

A couple of comments on your itinerary:

Driving from Malibu to Monterey, stopping along the way at Hearst Castle, and doing a winery tour is VERY ambitious to do in one day. I assume you are taking 101 up to SLO, then starting on Hwy 1 (PCH) from there. Once you get to Cambria or so it's a narrow, windy, hilly two lane road. In the summer, there will be lots of traffic going at best 40 mph. I can't remember exactly, but it seems like the last time I did this drive it took at least 8+ hours and we didn't stop anywhere other than some viewpoints. If you want to do all of these things, consider leaving Malibu on the afternoon of the fifth day and spending the night in SLO to give yourself some extra time.

Hearst Castle is very cool and the drive up from Cambria to Monterey is probably one of the most beautiful coastal drives in the world, so if you can, try to cut out some time elsewhere.

If you love to hike, you will love Muir Woods, but only if you get there very early. It is loved to death in the summer because it is so nice and so close to SF. Try to come midweek and get there by 8 or 9AM (It's about a 30 minute drive from Fisherman's wharf). While there, you should leave the main tourist trail and head up on one of the quieter trails into the woods. Afterward, drive down to either Muir Beach or if you are willing to go a bit farther, Stinson Beach. You can also go up to the top of Mt. Tamalpais - there's tons of hiking trails and great views up there. Sometimes, if it is foggy in SF and in Muir Woods, when you get to the top of Mt. Tam, you get above the fog and you can look down on the blanket of fog covering SF and the Inner Bay - very surreal and beautiful.

Finally, on your way back to SF from Muir Woods, just after the Sausalito exit, and just before you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, there's an exit off to the right that goes up into the Marin Headlands (part of the Golden Gate National Recreation area (GGNRA)). The road goes along the Headlands to the ocean, but just a short way up the road, there are stunning viewpoints with the GG Bridge in the foreground and the city in the background. This is one of my favorite viewpoints and I take all my visitors there (assuming it's not foggy that day).

If you love to hike, you will love Muir Woods, but only if you get there very early. It is loved to death in the summer because it is so nice and so close to SF. Try to come midweek and get there by 8 or 9AM (It's about a 30 minute drive from Fisherman's wharf). While there, you should leave the main tourist trail and head up on one of the quieter trails into the woods....
Alternately, you can park free at the Marin City Transit Center and take a $1 shuttle (return trip is free) to Muir Woods during the summer (from week before Memorial Day to end of Sept., Fri. to Sundays, last bus returns 7 p.m., you can take bikes along for the ride). It's a hair raising amusement park style ride but more fun than getting a lead foot driving while riding the brake. Take transit drivers out of stop and go traffic and they go wild.>:D

Driving from Malibu to Monterey, stopping along the way at Hearst Castle, and doing a winery tour is VERY ambitious to do in one day.

I completely agree. It's about 2 hours from Malibu to Santa Barbara, another 2 hours to San Luis Obispo, then another 1.5 hours or so on to Hearst Castle, and that's IF traffic is moving well on the roads. The Hearst Castle tours are at least 2 hours each, including parking/assembling time (you have to take a shuttle up to the castle from the visitor's center), and a wine tasting is at least an hour. Then add on the drive from San Simeon to Monterey -- easily 2.5 hours. Forget doing all that in one day. If you did, you'd be too stressed to sightsee what is probably the prettiest stretch of coastline south of the Oregon border.

I'd recommend that you decide to see Hollywood OR Malibu on Day 4, and then use Day 5 to drive from LA to San Luis Obispo or Morrow Bay/Cambria, having lunch in Santa Barbara and doing some wine tasting on the way up. Day 6, see Hearst Castle, drive up to Monterey. Then continue your itinerary as planned.

Also, you need to reserve tickets to get in to Hearst Castle, and you have to make those reservations in advance. There are multiple tours, as well. Their website is Hearst Castle, San Simeon, CA

If it were me, I'd go do the Hollywood walk of fame in the morning on day 4, then boogie on over to Venice Beach for the afternoon. Then I'd go to Malibu (or maybe Santa Monica -- love the Boardwalk) to spend the night. Unless you're REALLY into shopping, I can't imagine Rodeo Drive being anything other than hot and crowded in the summer.

Also, I'd figure out a way to tell your wife about the length of the trip and the climates. Monterey and San Francisco can be quite a bit cooler and breezier than San Diego/LA -- she'll want to dress accordingly.

It sounds like a ton of fun! Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom