Can an Airline cancel a flight and re-schedule for the following day, without refund

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
? Can an airline cancel a flight after the scheduled departure time , refuse to refund and say the flight will be operated the following day , if other than weather conditions caused the flight cancellation ?

( after I booked, I checked flight aware , Agilent has canceled this flight approx 30% of the time in the last 2 mo.)

2nd ques. I have never traveled with a laptop before. Does TSA require it be powered up at the security screening ?

No need to power up the laptop. They stopped that several years ago.

As far as the cancellation, I don't know what the written policy is, but I had it happen once or twice while travelling on business. I was going to a meeting that I would have missed if I took the later flight they were going to put me on. The company travel agent sorted it out and got a refund.

Yes, an airline can cancel a flight at any time. Assuming you are traveling within the U.S, whether or not they have to issue a refund upon request is governed by their contract of carriage. For example, on United, you can ask for a refund if the delay is more than 2 hours and you choose not to travel.

I've never heard of an airline named Agilent, but you should be able to find their contract of carriage on their website.

? Can an airline cancel a flight after the scheduled departure time , refuse to refund and say the flight will be operated the following day , if other than weather conditions caused the flight cancellation ?

( after I booked, I checked flight aware , Agilent has canceled this flight approx 30% of the time in the last 2 mo.)

2nd ques. I have never traveled with a laptop before. Does TSA require it be powered up at the security screening ?

I couldn't find Allegiant's official policy, but this is from AirFareWatchDog
A Guide to Air-Passenger Rights: Allegiant - Airfarewatchdog

Allegiant is the pits . They are rarely on time . They start with low prices but everything is an add on. I flew Allegiant twice and I will never fly with them again.

I only picked that flight because it is an early Sunday departure, a couple of hours earlier than southwest or the other majors. Taking a closer look, it is rarely a high load factor flight, so if they have a broken airplane Saturday at LAX , it gets moved to this flight.Then they cancel the flight, fix the plane on Monday , and fly on Tuesday :facepalm:

I will do a little more research before booking next time.

If I can extract it from my reservation , I will post the contract of carriage.

Last edited:
Allegiant is the pits . They are rarely on time . They start with low prices but everything is an add on. I flew Allegiant twice and I will never fly with them again.

This!

They offer the only nonstop between San Diego and Bellingham. (My bff lives in B'ham and I visit her and other friends up there periodically.) I prefer non-stops. But I will NEVER fly Allegiant again.

I understand charging for checked bags - but they also charge for carry on. I understand charging for cocktails/beer/wine... even sodas... but they also charge for water. Their prices, by the time you pay for your carry on, etc... end up being more than other carriers.

I hate Allegiant and will never fly them again.

I flew Allegiant Las Vegas to Honolulu--really cheap. No problems. All policies were posted and I accepted them. Flew back into Oakland on Hawaiian Airlines.

If airlines have one day of low occupancy, they're not above cancelling the flight or change times on you at least. If they're not running profitably, they'll cancel.

I've never flown Allegiant and am not a big fan of airlines that charge for lots of little things, BUT they do provide pretty reasonably priced flights between lots of places.

My DF flies Allegiant between Sanford (Orlando) and Rickenbacker (Columbus) a few times a year and he likes it. He really likes the fact they flies from Sanford rather than Orlando Airport and it fits into his very tight travel budget. He knows about all the fees and accepts them and it's still a bargain.

I like cancellations but the airlines I usually fly makes it up with round trip tickets for later in addition to the flight the next day.

Our whole family got round trip tickets to Hawaii just for staying an extra day in New York. They also paid for the hotel and dinner.

If airlines have one day of low occupancy, they're not above cancelling the flight or change times on you at least. If they're not running profitably, they'll cancel.

Has happened to me several times with SouthWest; I'll fly from Sacramento to El Paso with a transfer in Phoenix, only to find out that the Phoenix to El Paso leg cancelled due to 'maintenance'. Maintenance has nothing to do with it. less than half full flight had everything to do with it.
I learned to book early flights so I can be placed on a later flight that day rather than wait until the next day.

Just to make it easier for people who do not want to take the time... from the link...

Contrary to popular belief, airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold.

Just to make it easier for people who do not want to take the time... from the link...

Contrary to popular belief, airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold.

I'm not sure how you can offer a "product" cancel it, and not refund the payment? Somehow, I think I would get my money back from them on the next flight... maybe replacing one of their $1000 toilet seats? :D

From the info below from the DOT website I think you might have a case for requesting a refund:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm#delayed

Payment by credit card provides certain protections under federal credit laws. When a refund is due, the airline must forward a credit to your card company within seven business days after receiving a complete refund application; however, the credit may take a month or two to appear on your statement. If you paid by credit card for a refundable fare and you have trouble getting a refund that you are due (e.g., you have a refundable fare, or you have a nonrefundable fare and the airline canceled your flight and you did not travel as a result), report this in writing to your credit card company. If you write to them within 60 days from the time that they mailed your first monthly statement showing the charge for the airline ticket, the card company should credit your account even if the airline doesn't. This procedure is particularly useful if your airline ceases operations before your flight.

Delayed flights: What is your airline responsible for?

If your flight is canceled and you decide not to try and find a seat on another flight, you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your itinerary. If you continue with your travel, you are not entitled to a refund — regardless of a delay or cancellation. The airline also is not obligated to provide you with compensation for food or lodging because of a delay or cancellation.

If a delay is the airline's fault — a mechanical delay, for example — your carrier may offer you some sort of compensation, but it is not legally bound to do so.

If the cancellation is weather-related, you are unlikely to receive any compensation. And "weather" can end up being broader than what you see in your local area.

I'm not sure how you can offer a "product" cancel it, and not refund the payment? Somehow, I think I would get my money back from them on the next flight... maybe replacing one of their $1000 toilet seats? :D
You do get your money back. Just not necessarily any "extra" compensation for the inconvenience.

Friend of mine knows CEO of Allegiant. CEO says, if we don't make money, we don't fly.

DW and I had a Sunday flight on Allegiant for Florida postponed in March; flight cost us $76.00 each. It was supposed to leave noonish, postponed to 7:00 pm. The 7:00 pm flight was cancelled and moved to Monday 10:00 am. New flight left and arrived on time. We both received $100.00 travel vouchers each, had 365 days to redeem.

I have to give the airline a pass. they pushed back from the gate on time, and wheels up was just 11 minutes late.

I wasn't on the flight, got sick and ended up in the ER . That's another story. ( its' 2 am in the ER , the RN is jabbing my forearm to start an IV, and say's" OH NO", while the tech watching is cringing )

In the future, T think I will stick with the big carriers , and pay a little more $. The best thing I can see with this airline, seats available in the last day or two are not that $ compared with last minute fares on the majors.

An Allegiant flight almost ran out of fuel in Fargo, ND. The VP of Flight Ops and their Chief of Safety were the pilots. That along with many other maintenance events would keep me from ever flying them.

We were delayed a day returning from Paris last month. The airline provided hotel and three meals, then same flight the next day and $200 credit toward future flight. Not great but acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom