Charleston & Savannah

DektolMan

Recycles dryer sheets
We will have 5 days between these two cities and was wondering which one to spend more time in. I am in the planning stages now and any recommendations will be appreciated.

We preferred Charleston by quite a bit.

We were just there and enjoyed Savannah very much. Take the Old Town Trolley (hop on hop off) for a day to see where all the sites are. They were fun and had a wealth of knowledge of what to see and do. We really enjoyed the Prohibition Museum, lots of stuff from that era as well as a great Speak Easy bar with roaring 20's drinks.

We will have 5 days between these two cities and was wondering which one to spend more time in. I am in the planning stages now and any recommendations will be appreciated.

I took my wife to Savannah eight years ago for our honeymoon. We have been back a couple of times since (usually for a night or two.)

Hotel - my recommendation would be the Mansion on Forsythe Park (Autograph Collection.)

Restaurants - A foodies paradise. Vic's on the River and the Pink House would be good choices. Zunzi's if you are in the mood for the best sandwich in America.

Things to do - Take a trolley ride and explore the city. Walk through City Market (many artists in the gallery.) Take a walk on the riverfront. Go for a free boat ride across the river. Many exciting squares to walk through. go see the Forsythe fountain. If you get bored, go to Tybee Island and visit a lighthouse which is about 40 minutes away.

In both cities, parking is not easy - so spend a few dollars on a hotel that provides parking.

Regarding Charleston - it is a little more spread out. We began our first cruise from Charleston and ventured around the city. I remember some nice restaurants and stalls for local vendors in the center of town.

We also spent a day (when we stopped in port) for a day. We did a lot of walking, but in comparisin with Savannah, it seemed that Savannah was easier to get around.

To even complicate your itinerary more - I'd suggest coupling Savannah with Hilton Head Island. That is what we have been doing in early April each year.

Either way... Enjoy

Michael

I haven't been to downtown Savannah, but have been to Charleston and Folly Beach a lot.

IMATERP is spot on about motoring. Last trip, we left the car at our hotel near the Ashley River and used Uber extensively for going downtown, to/from dining, etc. Worth every penny (and very affordable).

Charleston is a foodie hotspot with something for everyone. Some nice waterfront dining not far from the historic district.

If you haven't been on an aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown is definitely worth a visit. It's one helluva bass boat!

Enjoy!

Charleston does have great restaurants. I’d highly recommend taking a carriage ride first thing on your first day. I know it sounds touristy, and it is but, it’s a great way to see/learn the city & it’s history; the carriage drivers are steeped in history & quite entertaining. Recommend staying in a nice hotel on the peninsula South of Broad, which will let you walk to most of the interesting places. Spend some time at the old market.

PS: Hopefully, ‘Sarah in SC’ will be along shortly to provide all the local knowledge you’ll ever need. :)

Thanks for all your replies, we're really looking forward to our trip!

All due respect to Sarah but I prefer Savannah. lol

Been about 5 times over the last 25 years and it never gets old. Tybee can be fun for a day trip too.

Mind you, I would agree that Charleston is a better food city.

All due respect to Sarah but I prefer Savannah. lol

Been about 5 times over the last 25 years and it never gets old. Tybee can be fun for a day trip too.

Mind you, I would agree that Charleston is a better food city.

I never argue with someone who’s avatar is a Woodford Reserve bottle. :bow:

I just came back from my first trip to Charleston. I saw Savannah a couple of years ago. I love them both! They are both unique with lots to offer. In Charleston we took an historic walking tour of the downtown with Michael Trouche of Charleston Footprints. We also went out to one of the plantations. And we ate a lot.

We've been to Charleston and Savannah, and Charleston is our favorite by far. We return regularly to Charleston, and will problem never go back to Savannah. That said, the split is about 50/50 on any survey of which is best.

We describe Charleston as a cleaner and less roudy New Orleans. I think if food is important, lean towards Charleston. I think if history is important, lean towards Charleston. Savannah is a little on the touristy side, too. Just my opinion. Good to see them both.

Beaufort is a nice stop for lunch as you drive between the two.

We found a great off-season deal on a condo rental in Hilton Head and alternated between the two cities.

Beaufort is a nice stop for lunch as you drive between the two.

An artist friend of ours in City Market (Savannah) recommends Beaufort as well. We never stopped there but I like when locals recommend something.

Oh, another recommendation - if you are staying near Hilton Head - search the Jazz Club. Dinner and Jazz. Top notch.

M

3 of one 2 of the other. It is a toss up so flip a coin or decide based on where you can get the better place to stay.

Charleston is a far better food town. Savannah can get dicier more quickly. Good neighborhoods turn iffy in a much smaller area.

On our visit to Charleston walked into the tourist office. The lady recommended a pass that gave entry (as I recall) to places in Charleston and to a number of plantations.

We bought the pass and were so glad that we did. We probably would not have visited the plantations otherwise. Love the area. When we go we fly into Charlotte, do beach time in Hilton Head, then head to Charleston, Savannah, and back to Charlotte.

Here's a tip to help you fit in, if you visit Beaufort, SC.

For SC, it is pronounced BYOO-fert.

For NC, it is pronounced BOH-fert.

The "fert" may also be "fort".

Don't confuse the BYOO and BOH, otherwise you will be an obvious outsider. Just one way we NC/SC citizens smoke out interlopers. :)

Charleston considerably larger, more varied. Savannah more beautiful, laid back. Net, depends on what you want. Me, I'd go 3/2 C/S.

I love Savannah, I work in the city. I recommend Foxy Loxy for coffee and tacos. Perc is also a cool spot for coffee :) Collins Quarter is great for breakfast too. Charleston is fun too, I would agree to say Savannah is more laid back

Never been to Savannah so no help at all, but we’ve been to Charleston several times and loved it! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom