NYC Boroughs

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Will be going to NYC for 10 days in March, pretty much have always been in Manhattan and will be staying there again but would like to explore other parts of the city. I'm a city boy, grew up in Chicago, live near LA and lived in London so am comfortable with subways but know there are probably lesser known places to see and also to avoid or at least places that need particular approaches (time, guides, local knowledge) so any suggestions on a good way to explore NYC outside of Manhattan?

From what I've read, some areas of Brooklyn have greatly changed in recent years. There has been a lot of new life in the Williamsburg area, for example. I have not yet been there, but I will probably venture across the river when I'm next out exploring NYC.

we are in bay terrace queens …nyc is so vast it’s hard to say without knowing what you want to do

I grew up in Brooklyn, but that was a very long time ago so I can't really suggest anything there anymore, although Prospect Park is great.

But one place I always recommend to visitors if they have the time and inclination is the Cloisters in the Bronx.

Parts of several medieval monasteries were taken from Europe and reassembled here into a coherent whole. The architecture and artwork are astounding, and it's easily worth the whole day for a visit.

I've spent most of my adult life in NYC. As I''m sure you're aware NYC is vast and offers an infinite variety of entertainment, site-seeing, and experiences. So it would help if you were more specific about what you're into or looking to see/do.

Notwithstanding the above caveats, when tourists think about venturing beyond Manhattan, they usually think Brooklyn, which could be the U.S.'s 4th largest city if it were stand-alone. And when tourists think Brooklyn, they usually think about the following:

Williamsburg - Ground zero for the East Coast hipster aesthetic, now populated with lots of creatives, professionals and families. Visually gritty and urban, lots of converted warehouses, new condo bldgs perptually under construction. Perhaps NYC's best culinary and bar hopping scene. Can be very congested on weekends.

Brownstone Brooklyn (Brooklyn Hts, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Clinton Hill, etc.) - Very family-oriented, extremely very expensive real estate, relative low density owing to protected historic landmark status in most of these areas. Lots of restaurants, boutique shopping, etc. Brooklyn Hts has The Promenade, perhaps the best view of the Manhattan skyline you could imagine. Park Slope has Prospect Park (Central Park's bohemian, better-looking younger sister). Brownstone Bklyn is visually gorgeous with tree-lined streets, century-old Victorian townhouses, etc.

Hit up Williamsburg if you want a more youthful, energetic, stimulating experience with excellent people-watching. Do brownstone Brooklyn if you want a more relaxed stroll, peering thru brownstone bay windows to treats of period chandeliers and coffered ceilings, watching how (very well-heeled, established) NYers go about their regular lives in the loveliest urban surroundings one could imagine.

Last edited:
A couple of day trip options from NYC could be Old Sturbridge Village Mass, and Mystic Ct. You can also drive up to Westchester and see Lyndhurst, and Rockefeller Estate and park.

I would highly suggest walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. A bit crowded at times but still fun. When you get to Brooklyn go under the bridge. The area is called DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Brooklyn Overpass. There is a pizza joint that is supposed to be the best in NYC...Grimaldis I think. We went to a roottop bar looking over at Manhattan...I think it's 1 Hotel Brooklyn.

Hope to be back in NYC at Christmas

I would highly suggest walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. A bit crowded at times but still fun. When you get to Brooklyn go under the bridge. The area is called DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Brooklyn Overpass. There is a pizza joint that is supposed to be the best in NYC...Grimaldis I think.

That's a great suggestion. If you do that, early evening is the best time.

But one place I always recommend to visitors if they have the time and inclination is the Cloisters in the Bronx.

I agree that the Cloisters is well worth visiting but it's in northern Manhattan (Ft Tyron Park)

Last edited:
I agree that the Cloisters are well worth visiting but they're in northern Manhattan (Ft Tryon Park)

Oops! You're right, of course. Surprised that I forgot that, since I make a visit nearly every time I go to NYC. But in my defense, it's less than a mile from the Bronx. :angel:

Some Brooklyn things:

- Depending on when you are going in March, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden can be a nice visit.

- If museums are your thing, the Brooklyn Museum may have exhibits of interest.

- If you like sports, the Barclays Center is an option.

- Too cold to swim in the ocean off Coney Island, but a lot to see walking around, including the New York Aquarium.

For Queens, Flushing Meadow Corona Park, site of past New York City World Fairs, location of the iconic Unisphere. Also Citi Field, USTA National Tennis Center, NY Hall of Science, Queens Zoo, Queens Museum, and other attractions.

Brooklyn Bridge from Queens.

Attachments

• 5850.jpg
    5850.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 2
For Queens, Flushing Meadow Corona Park, site of past New York City World Fairs, location of the iconic Unisphere. Also Citi Field, USTA National Tennis Center, NY Hall of Science, Queens Zoo, Queens Museum, and other attractions.
I'm biased, because I'm from Queens, but I like staying in Flushing, which is a rail and bus hub, and has a huge pan-Asian population. I can walk to a bus, the NYC subway, or a commuter rail (LIRR); the latter is what I take from Penn Station to get to my hotel from the Amtrak stop at Penn Station. The hotel I usually stay at is about a 15-20 minute walk from the stadium where the Mets play, and the rooftop bar has a nice view of LaGuardia Airport and the stadium.

There's also a quirky boutique hotel I've stayed at called The Paper Factory, which is much more convenient to Manhattan while still in Queens, and it's less than a mile from The Museum of the Moving Image and some great restaurants down that way.

Some Brooklyn things:

- Depending on when you are going in March, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden can be a nice visit.

- If museums are your thing, the Brooklyn Museum may have exhibits of interest.

- If you like sports, the Barclays Center is an option.

- Too cold to swim in the ocean off Coney Island, but a lot to see walking around, including the New York Aquarium.

Further to the above, you can also possibly catch a lot of popular music performances at the Barclays Center, and it is a far nicer/newer venue than Madison Square Gardens.

Worth noting that the gardens, museum, and stadium/performance venue are all within walking distance of Prospect Park and some of the beautiful brownstone neighborhoods I mentioned earlier, so could make for a nice day trip.

There is also the Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty Ellis Island (you need to reserve tickets in advance for the Statue of Liberty)/

The Staten Island Ferry has routes that sail by the Statue of Liberty.

Circle Line has cruises that go around Manhattan island, to get views of Manhattan, New Jersey, and the other boroughs from the rivers (at the moment, according to the website, they cannot go completely around Manhattan, but do not say why).

Take one of the subway lines to Coney Island, have lunch at Nathan's, stroll the boardwalk, play some skee ball, visit NY Aquarium.

For a different outing, visit the Intrepid Museum at Pier 86:
https://intrepidmuseum.org

I know you're going in March and not May but consider biking some of the other boros. It's a great way to see more of the day to day life.

We'll be riding the TD 5 boro bike tour in May.. a great way to see the "outer boros" Previously also done the MS bike tour of Manhattan. Pretty cool to bike up the East Side hwy and the FDR with no traffic.

Have also biked around Manhattan and Central Park after riding my bike down to Manhattan from Toronto.

My son used to live in Yardley PA near the SEPTA station. Many of his neighbors worked in NYC and took the train? subway? rail transit not sure what it's called. Cheaper than driving and parking. DS took the wifey and sister many times to NYC, And dear wifey took her friends a few times. The Tenement Museum was a favorite.

Queens- LIC

The last time we were in NYC, we stayed in Long Island City. It had great access to Manhattan and we really enjoyed Queens. I especially liked the Noguchi Foundation, but MOMA PS1 and to a lesser extent The Museum of the Moving Image were well worth the visits.

BR

Take one of the subway lines to Coney Island, have lunch at Nathan's, stroll the boardwalk, play some skee ball, visit NY Aquarium.
https://intrepidmuseum.org

I was going to suggest this also. We took the F line and spent a day at Coney Island. It was a fun time. There's a great brewery on Surf Ave. Brighton Beach's Boardwalk was interesting too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom