Colorado travel?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
We're flying into Den in June & need to get to the Salida area. The rental car prices I'm seeing are ridiculous. Does anybody know of other options? The Greyhound website is not helpful. Thanks.

I'm not from the area, so cannot recommend alternatives, but..

Have you tried hotwire.com? They sometimes have great deals for rentals. Also, if you have AAA, you can get some good discounts by entering your AAA membership number.

If you're renting one way - it is hard to find good deals.

I didn't research it very extensively but:

Bus through Park County to Denver expanding service

or this Post at BackPackingLight.com:
Greg Mihalik
(Greg23) - M

Re: Getting around CO without a car? on 07/26/2009 09:35:37 MDT Black Hills Stage runs from Denver International Airport to Gunnison/Crested Butte, stopping in Salida, among other places. It would get you close to the Colorado Trail and the Continental Divide Trail.

There is great hiking out of Crested Butte, and there are locals willing, for a fee, to get you to trailheads.

Google "Vail Shuttle" and "Copper Shuttle" for a variety of I-70 services. They are expensive though ($200-$400).

Once out of the City, hitching is pretty easy, especially if you have a sign and look halfway non-threatening.

If you can figure out local buses from DIA you could do the CT from Denver to Salida. Or from the I-70 corridor, the CDT to Salida.

Note particularly the "look halfway non-threatening" advice if you are serious about "on the cheap."

Ron, thanks. The Black Hills Stage looks good, and cheap ($47 ea RT).

Haven't hitched since my college roommate & I thumbed from Chicago to Alaska to make our fortunes; spent the summer eating oatmeal & peanut butter, & had to wire the folks for the fare home.

Don't think I could get DW to flash her legs.:D

Back
Top Bottom