Destination help

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am trying to organize a family get-together in late January. I am looking for somewhere warm, ideally near/on the water and within the US. We have people flying from Denver, NYC and Boston so need to have something reachable by a direct flight. I'd like to rent a large house that we could stay in, but I am having a tough idea coming up with a destination. I would have gone with Puerto Rico, but it looks like a real nightmare for us to fly to from Denver (especially with small kids). Any ideas?

My vote would go to Anna Marie Island . Direct flight into Tampa , Lot's of houses to rent , beautiful beach , restaurants and an easy drive to Disney if things get boring !

Fly into Tampa airport and head to the Gulf Beaches (Clearwater Beach down to St. Pete Beach).

Catalina Island ? Flights to LA are generally cheap and non-stop, Green Line / Blue Line (or airport van) to the ferry terminal, 1 hour ferry to the island, plenty of lodging.

I agree with the suggestions on the Florida beaches, but in January I would go down at least to Ft. Myers, maybe Naples. If your looking for a place, call Kayth Nesbitt Vacations on Ft. Myers Beach. I used to work for her and they have a good handle on places to suit your crowd.

Florida comes to mind. Have you considered a cruise? January has some very cheap rates on cruises to the Bahamas and Caribbean. You get your floating hotel and meals all in the same place for one price. You can stick the kids in the kids club on board for free if you want some time alone with the wife. Entertainment for those who like singing and broadway type shows.

I saw something sailing from Jacksonville Fl in January that was under $300 per person for 5 nights. Even cheaper per person if you share 4 person room with your kids.

I have seen some nice houses and condos on Sanibel Island on VRBO.com. Fly into Ft. Meyers. Great beaches.

Miami has a major international airport. Many airlines have direct flights from other airports. So airline tickets seem to be competitive. No doubt NYC will have flights to MIA or Fort Lauderdale... I think there are some other air ports in the area.

It is an international city with people from many cultures.

Sometimes car rentals can be high... so shop around and if your personal car insurance will cover the rental... it will lower the price.

Plenty of condos and hotels on the beach... so many rooms, they are competitively priced. You might consider one of the large condo (maybe even one of the luxury condos) with all of the amenities (it might be a good idea to get a price point just to compare and make sure you are not missing a deal... never know in this economy). I have not looked into house rentals in Miami. I am sure a beach front house would be expensive. But our experience has been that beach front homes (nice ones) are expensive at most popular locations. Get away from the beach and the price drops.

Nice things about Miami... warm even in the later winter. Miami Beach and South Beach have plenty of nice restaurants and some can be managed within a budget... if the group spans age groups.... younger folks can hit the clubs a few nights. Something for every one.

A nice side trip is to rent a car and drive out to the Keys... but if you go all the way to key west, I would plan on spending the night (at least)... it is not far in miles... but the drive is still long due to lower speed limits.

Depending on how diverse the groups is and what types of side diversions they may want.... some could even book a short cruise or catch a boat to the Bahamas for a day or two.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. My parents spend a lot of time in the Keys, so Miami is probably not high on the list. Sanibel Island or similar around Ft. Myers looks promising. I would be interested in outside the US, but my parents are older and my sister will be quite pregnant, so being in the US and not too far from a major hospital is a necessity.

I saw this on the net today....it might give you an idea or two.

Snowbirds in search of America's top beach towns have their picks of secluded locales where white sands and cries of seagulls are the main attractions. In the alternative, there are other warm weather winter traveldestinations that offer luxurious resort-style surroundings -- without destroying the small town look and feel.

Westin Travel

I pitched Sanibel Island to my siblings, so we will see how it goes. I would have picked New Orleans or Hawaii, but Hawaii is too far for the time we have and my parents will have just come back from NO.

New Orleans is not always warm and sunny in January, either. Average high 62, average low 43. We have had snow in December, January and February occasionally. Very light snow, but still.

Last edited:
With the requirement of "warm" that limits you pretty much to Florida in the contiguous 48, and even that is not a guarantee.

What is the time frame for spring break on the Florida coast?

While not as warm as Florida I would say that time south of LA, like Manhattan Beach would be a great place to spend a week with family. Lots of properties available and beautiful beaches.

San Diego area might have some good options for you. There's lots of rental houses in the Mission Bay area right on the beach. I'd also look into rentals in North County on the beach, like Carlsbad or Encinitas. Beach is nice, and you're reasonably close to the Zoo, Legoland, and not too far from Disneyland.
Let me know if you want any more info on SD.

Back
Top Bottom