Join Early Retirement Today

Door County WI Vacation Recommendations II
Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Door County WI Vacation Recommendations II

We visited in 2014*, and enjoyed it enough that we're going again for 4 days in Sept. Any (new) recommendations? We're most interested in restaurants, shopping (clothes, jewelry, art/craft galleries), outdoor activities (kayaking, biking, zip line) and getting on the water (boat tour, sail charter). My prelim list:
  • Serendipity Restaurant, The Fireside Restaurant, Wild Tomato Wood-Fired Pizza, Alexander's Restaurant, Waterfront Restaurant, The Harbor View Grill (Rooftop), Blue Horse Café, Door County Creamery
  • Maple Grove Gallery, Door Artisan Cheese, MacReady Artisan Bread Company, Blue Dolphin House, On Deck Clothing, Edgewood Orchard Galleries, Hands On Art Studio, Exchange Bay Shore Outfitters, Door County Distillery
  • Lakeshore Adventures Zip Line, Door County Kayak Tours, Northern Sky Theatre, Peninsula State Park, Peninsula Players Theatre, NorDoor Cyclery
  • Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours Sail, Door County, Shoreline Charters
* Door County WI Vacation Recommendations?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wish I could help but I was last in Door County more than 40 years ago. Newport State Park at the far tip is stunning.

My last trip up there I did some wreck diving off Washington Island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dondiveDC.jpg (113.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg more-louisiana_5043225354_o.jpg (74.5 KB, 18 views)

Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Door for many years was a regular vacation spot for us. We would always go during Fall Fest which at that time was the last festival weekend of the summer/fall. In fact, we did not realize the family impact it had until our son took his now wife there to ask her to marry him.

You did not mention a fish boil but perhaps that is included in one of the restaurant plans you have already. Make sure you watch the boil and the flaming pot at the end.
It is really part of the meal. We would go to Bailey Harbor or the Fire station if they were doing a fund raiser. But you can find them all over for all price ranges.

Al Johnsons Swedish restaurant in Sister Bay, with the goats on the roof is typically a must stop and eat. Look for the goats. Wilsons Ice Cream parlor in Ephraim is also a must stop for most. I see you plan the distillery and I think the wine tasting is there as well. The wine is not for everybody but for me some of the wines make a nice drink during the holidays.

BTW, if you are a football fan (or perhaps just want an experience) try to take in a Packer game. A bit expensive to buy open market tickets but a fun experience.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote