From Cruise Ship to Hotel

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Will be going on a trip in the upcoming months.

My question is, when leaving the ship at the port (Port Everglades, to be exact) how easy is it to flag down a taxi to get to a hotel?

Are a lot of free taxi's around? Or is there a madhouse like at some airports and a better approach is to have ground transport arranged beforehand?

Check out Uber?

I think there's a taxi stand but can't remember if there was a long line. We usually drive down and there are a number of excellent private parking operators within a few minutes of the port for ~$5/nt.

+1 on the Uber suggestion.

If you don't get a definitive answer here, check out cruisecritic forums. Lots of expert cruisers there.

You might check at CruiseCritic.com to see if there is any specific information for your port and ship.

We had a long but orderly waiting line in Singapore.

Are a lot of free taxi's around?

I doubt that any will be free. In Miami, there are plenty of taxis to take people to the airport. I suspect that it will be the same at your port.

When in doubt, call the Port Authority.

I doubt that any will be free. In Miami, there are plenty of taxis to take people to the airport. I suspect that it will be the same at your port.

When in doubt, call the Port Authority.

I should have said any "available" instead of "free". Any available is what i really meant to say.

Getting a taxi not a concern. If you are not in a hurry, I like to stay on ship as long as i can and let the rush subside; this makes sense if going to hotel and no early check in.

Marc

Getting a taxi not a concern. If you are not in a hurry, I like to stay on ship as long as i can and let the rush subside; this makes sense if going to hotel and no early check in.

Marc

The idea of staying on the ship to let the rush subside sounds like a great idea. I won't fly home until the following day so could take my time. No rush, I'm retired, not w*rking :D.

Been a few years since we were there but you should have no problem getting a taxi. Depending on your hotel they may have a shuttle also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Been a few years since we were there but you should have no problem getting a taxi. Depending on your hotel they may have a shuttle also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thanks. Been looking at my reservations today. My stay before the cruise starts, there is a shuttle that picks up at the airport then to the hotel and goes to the port (for a fee of about $8). On the day after the cruise, the hotel doesn't have a shuttle is when I'll need taxis from port to hotel, then hotel to airport for home.

There will always be taxi's and shuttle services operating out of the port. You'll have no problem getting a ride.

There will always be taxi's and shuttle services operating out of the port. You'll have no problem getting a ride.

That's good to hear.

I remember a long time ago the first time trying to flag down a taxi at the airport. I was used to just hailing a taxi but when trying they'd just drive by. Didn't know how that worked til one day on the ride in a taxi to the airport the driver said to call their taxi company (I'm sure a business move on his part) as they are always near the airport. Then mention which gate and get the taxi cab number.

You might check at CruiseCritic.com to see if there is any specific information for your port and ship.

We had a long but orderly waiting line in Singapore.

Thanks. That's a good site to read.

Finding a taxi getting off a cruise ship at Port Everglades is easy. We typically go straight to the airport after a cruise and never have a problem. The hotel we stay at the night before a cruise has a free shuttle pickup at the airport and a free shuttle to the port the next morning, though we tip generously. I never checked if they pickup from the cruise port.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We usually walk a few blocks to the local bus for a few reasons.
1. Cheapest option
2. We pack light (backpacks).
3. Makes us feel like a local instead of a tourist.
Not sure about your port though. Have fun!

Unless there's been a recent change, Uber is not allowed to operate in Broward County.

Update: There HAS been a recent change and Uber is once again accessible in Broward County.

We have disembarked from cruises in Ft Lauderdale and Miami many times.

Never once had a problem getting a cab. There are lots of them. The relative distance to the airport is short so the cabs keep circulating.

Since you are returning to a hotel, why not call the hotel and see what they say? Maybe the hotel shuttle dropping passengers off for the next cruise can pick you up, but at least you can get the hotel's advice on how easy it will be to use a taxi.

We took a round-trip cruise out of Port Everglades just a few weeks ago. We were one of the first people off the boat because we had an early flight to catch. There were dozens of taxis waiting. I doubt you will have any problems finding one. On our way to the taxis, we also passed a stand where a bus operator was selling $17/per person rides to the airport. Our cab fare plus tip was $20 for five people to FLL.

We took a round-trip cruise out of Port Everglades just a few weeks ago. We were one of the first people off the boat because we had an early flight to catch. There were dozens of taxis waiting. I doubt you will have any problems finding one. On our way to the taxis, we also passed a stand where a bus operator was selling $17/per person rides to the airport. Our cab fare plus tip was $20 for five people to FLL.

Thanks. Sounds like there will be taxi a plenty :D.

FYI, cruise port to airport in Ft lauderdale must be the cheapest and quickest taxi ride at any cruise port ever! It can't be more than a few miles and only takes about 10 minutes because the airport is near the water (just a mile or two inland IIRC).

Back
Top Bottom