Gift Ideas for Visit to Ecuador

johnrlawjr

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello Everybody,

I am leaving in a little over a week to visit my daughter and her in-laws in Ecuador. I am flummoxed over what type of gift to bring the family members. The parents are in their sixties and my son-in-law has one brother about twenty. They are nice people and will extend to me the utmost in hospitality. I want to bring them something that has a comparative advantage when purchased in the United States. Technology is extremely expensive in Ecuador and relatively cheap in the United States. My son-in-law got iPhones for both of his parents. They have to be gifts that are easy to pack in a suitcase. I know that clothing is a popular item for Ecuadoreans to buy in the U.S., but I am hesitant to go that route. Any suggestions by the good folks at ER would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

If they like their iPhones, the new iPad mini with retina display is an awesome gadget, IMHO.

A 'tech' gift would no doubt be appreciated and is likely HUGELY expensive for them compared to here.

As people love treats, I've also taken things like bags of mini Snicker's bars and jars of Costco/Kirtland nuts. Plus if there's anything "special" from your part of the country (e.g. maple syrup, cherry products, soapstone carvings, etc.), those can make for nice supplemental gifts also.

omni

Good ideas here. If the Mr. is a drinker a bottle of nice scotch would be well received, and for his lovely bride a gift package of lotions and scented bath products. Chocolates, especially assorted bite size candy bars, are never a bad idea.

Just a note --- my FIL lived in Ecuador for years and we could not send anything made with leather into the country (by mail or package delivery). I don't know if that is the case with goods carried by hand, but it might be worth checking with Ecuadorean customs before departing.

Back
Top Bottom