Going to Red Rocks

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I'm going to take a trip where the highlight will be a bucket list item - a concert a Red Rocks. I looking for some ideas on what else to do while there and on the way. We'll be going toward the last week in July, first week in August.

I live in Michigan so we'll be driving west through IN, IL, MO, KS into CO. My dad lives in Columbia MO so we'll stop there for a day or two coming or going (maybe both). This is very early in the planning stage, but I'm thinking a couple weeks of easy driving and stops along the way. So I'm looking for some ideas. What to do along the way and most important, what to do in CO. I've never been to CO so I'm excited to see the mountains. However, I'm not a camper or a hiker. Sure, me a DW can walk a few miles but we're not experienced (by any means) hikers.

I'm also concerned about the height/elevation. Will being that high above sea level be something I need to prepare for? Or, is it basically, stay hydrated and don't over exert?

The only plans so far is the stop at Dad's and the concert, which includes two nights at a nice hotel near Red Rocks.

As long as you're below around 8,000 feet (and you should be), then just stay hydrated and don't overexert, as you said. Altitude only gets to be an issue above that level. One small thing is that alcohol will probably affect you more than at sea level. Speaking of alcohol, a visit to the Coors brewery in Golden is a fun experience.

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is beautiful and you can easily walk around. Kansas City Missouri has a old fort that is fun to go to. They also have a big plaza area full of statues and fountains. The area has outdoor restaurants with live music and shops, etc. A beautiful fun place. You can take a trolley around and hop on and off. It also gives you a guided tour.

As long as you're below around 8,000 feet (and you should be), then just stay hydrated and don't overexert, as you said. Altitude only gets to be an issue above that level. One small thing is that alcohol will probably affect you more than at sea level. Speaking of alcohol, a visit to the Coors brewery in Golden is a fun experience.
+1

Alcohol makes you dehydrated and adds to the issues. Stay hydrated, it will make a difference.

KC is a great place to spend a little time.

Enjoy Colorado it's beautiful. On the way home ignore the signs on I-70. There is no checkpoint, do not take the exit!

Based on living in Denver for 25 years I would suggest some of the following in Colorado:

1. Rocky Mtn National Park
2. A mountain town....Vail, Breck, Estes Park are good options.
3. Pikes Peak
4. Mt Evans road. (Highest paved road in North America)
5. Garden of Gods
6. Cherry Creek Neighborhood in SE Denver
7. Boulder
8. LoDo Neighborhood in downtown Denver

As others said -

garden of the gods

the Coors brewery tour in Golden (which unfortunately won't be free anymore after this month)

and then walk around downtown Golden (old buildings, antiques, little shops). Stop by Outlook mountain for a great view of everything https://www.visitgolden.com/places-to-go/lookout-mountain/ .

Idaho Springs is another neat place to visit. Neat downtown strip, lots of shops/food. Make sure to look out for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculptured_House on 70 up on a hill as you go to/from Idaho Springs.

Estes Park, home of the Stanley Hotel (think of the shining, wasn't the hotel in the movie, but was the idea behind the story) and another nice area to walk around. Stay at the Stanley if you can (historic hotel)

Boulder and it's mall is good for an afternoon. If you decide to stay there (lots of restaurants), I like the Boulderado Hotel. Another historic one (try to stay in one of the historic rooms if you can)

Fairplay (about 1:45 from Denver, 1:20 from Red Rocks) has a neat "old town" in it. If you like that sort of stuff - you get to walk through all of the old buildings. The old time drug store is worth the drive itself (and the drive is really nice, lots of scenery). And if you are a South Park fan - you just have to go to get your picture under the sign :) https://www.southparkcity.org/

that's a few around the Denver area...

If you're looking for a place to spend a night in KS, check out Lindborg which bills itself as "Little Sweden".

Driving in to Denver from Kansas keep an eye out for the first view of the mountains.

If you can handle narrow roads with steep drop-offs, do an early morning drive to Mt. Evans. The driving itself isn't hard since the speed limit is just 25mph. The easiest climb to 14,000+ ft that you'll ever do. The views are amazing and with luck you'll see some mountain goats, marmots, big horned sheep and maybe even some elk.

Denver has some wonderful museums. Two lesser known and amazing museums are the Anschutz Museum of Western Art and the Kirkland museum of decorative arts. Downtown Denver is a good walking area - the revamped Union Station is magnificent. You could park in Golden & take the train to Union Station. If you like baseball, the stadium is walking distance from Union Station.

Altitude affects some people and has no effect on others - other than to feel winded with physical activity. Stay hydrated, limit alcohol & pay attention to your body. You may have to climb a lot of steps at Red Rocks depending on where you're sitting & which entrance you use. Take your time & rest often.

Try to go to Red Rocks in the morning too. There is a short hike that you can do to take in all the red rocks. The town of Morrison (where Red Rocks is) is cute. There's also Idaho Springs a few more miles into the mountains, and Golden which is closer to Denver. Idaho springs & Golden are both old mining towns.

Drive the Peak-to-Peak highway from Morrison to Estes Park. There is a lot of snow in the mountains this year, so there may still be snow capped peaks to see along the way. It is a beautiful drive. Spend a night at Estes Park and drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. It gets very busy in the summer, but if you leave early, you should be fine. Alternatively, you could stay at slightly less crowded Grand Lake or Granby at the western side of the park.

You could visit Colorado Springs on your way to Denver or the way back. Besides Garden of the Gods & Pike's Peak, there is also the Olympic Training center. (I haven't been there yet, but heard its quite impressive). Unfortunately the Pike's Peak cog railway isn't running. They do have plans to bring it back, but I doubt it will be operational this year.

If you haven't seen bison in person, visit Genessee Park which is close to Morrisson. With luck, you'll see the herd there.

Colorado is a spectacular state. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

From various vantage points at Red Rocks, you can see the awesome destructive and creative forces of Mother Nature. The rocks are literally standing on edge for miles as the plates submerge and uplift the other plate to create the Rockies.

Thanks for the input. A couple comments/questions.

I'm a little worried about some of the driving. I've spent some time in the smokies and I'm not a fan of narrow two lane roads with switchbacks. I can only imagine what real mountains would have to offer. When I see things like Pikes Peak and Mt Evans road. (Highest paved road in North America), I get a little nervous but I'll look into it.

I have two nights planned at a hotel near Red Rocks as a base for going to the concert. Is that a good area to see a lot from and should I plan an extra night or two? Or, should I move around as I was thinking. If something's an hour away from there, I'd probably just move to a different hotel as I sight see. We'll probably spend 4-5 days in the general Denver area.

Coors Beer - definitely added to the list. Thanks.

I can only imagine what real mountains would have to offer. When I see things like Pikes Peak and Mt Evans road. (Highest paved road in North America), I get a little nervous but I'll look into it.

The roads out there are not as narrow as you might think. Keep your speed reasonable and you'll be fine.

Don't try to drive up Pike's Peak. There is a wonderful cog railway that goes up to the summit and it's fun to watch the wildlife along the way. Make reservations because there can be quite a line for it.

If you like craft beer, check out Five Points area (not too far from LODO). Several craft breweries in that area.
Snooze has a great breakfast (near Five Points). A bit pricey, but good.

I've done Mt. Evans and Pike's peak. Roads weren't too bad. Go to YouTube and search. I think there are several people that filmed the drive. (I liked Mt. Evans better). I would recommend the drive through Rocky Mtn National Park, as some have mentioned. (I think it's $10-$20 per car), but well worth the money.

BTW. Who are you seeing at Red Rocks? It's the best concert venue I have ever been to!

Try to stay awake in western Kansas

Last edited:
You will quickly adjust to the change in roads.

Another vote for RMNP.

+1, just note you get a buzz in there just sampling all their free beer samples. We went on a Friday and noticed at about 4 pm all the young people come in and heading right back to the free samples. (We figured this was for them to get there free "Buzz" going before they headed out for the night. It was fun.

There is the US mint in Denver. You need to make reservations before you go and it is free. So is the Coor's brewery.

According to a Colorado travel magazine article that I read on a trip last summer, start hydrating early - a few days before you visit the higher elevations. And it is best to gradually increase your elevation or at least spend a couple of days in Denver before going to RMNP or Pikes Peak. I live at 5200 feet but had my first case of altitude sickness on a visit to Colorado last summer. Made the mistake of going to Leadville at 10,000+ first, followed by Denver, Breckenridge, and Aspen. Got sick in Leadville and slightly sick in Breckenridge. Should have gone to Leadville last.

Aibq, I had the exact thing happen in the same towns 20 years ago and I live at 4500 ft.

According to a Colorado travel magazine article that I read on a trip last summer, start hydrating early - a few days before you visit the higher elevations. And it is best to gradually increase your elevation or at least spend a couple of days in Denver before going to RMNP or Pikes Peak. I live at 5200 feet but had my first case of altitude sickness on a visit to Colorado last summer. Made the mistake of going to Leadville at 10,000+ first, followed by Denver, Breckenridge, and Aspen. Got sick in Leadville and slightly sick in Breckenridge. Should have gone to Leadville last.

When I lived in Colorado long ago, I was at about 7,000 feet. So no problems with things like going skiing nearly every weekend or even climbing some of the fourteeners. But when I went back east to visit friends at sea level, I found when I returned that it took me 2-3 weeks to fully regain my altitude conditioning. And that's when I was young! Altitude sickness is no joke.

When I lived in Colorado long ago, I was at about 7,000 feet. So no problems with things like going skiing nearly every weekend or even climbing some of the fourteeners. But when I went back east to visit friends at sea level, I found when I returned that it took me 2-3 weeks to fully regain my altitude conditioning. And that's when I was young! Altitude sickness is no joke.

Thank you for this heads up. I'll make sure we consider it in our plans. I was planning on arriving a day before the concert. Maybe I should add an extra day on the front end to acclimate. The good thing is that DW and I are very good about hydration. Hopefully that will help.

Been looking at the web site for RMNP and am excited to take a drive through there and have that be one of out day trips. Looks like it takes about 4 hours to do the loop. Add 2-3 hours for stopping, viewing and walking around a bit and that will be one day.

Thank you for this heads up. I'll make sure we consider it in our plans. I was planning on arriving a day before the concert. Maybe I should add an extra day on the front end to acclimate. The good thing is that DW and I are very good about hydration. Hopefully that will help.

Been looking at the web site for RMNP and am excited to take a drive through there and have that be one of out day trips. Looks like it takes about 4 hours to do the loop. Add 2-3 hours for stopping, viewing and walking around a bit and that will be one day.
An extra day isn't a bad idea and hydration is a big part of acclimation*. If you have issues, they sell personal, disposable O2 bottles at Walmart and most pharmacies(at least around here they do) most healthy folks don't need them.

*Last year I allowed myself to become dehydrated hiking at 9k and learned how fast you can get ill. We live at 7500' so there's not much change in altitude, dehydration is serious stuff.

If you're planning to go to any significant altitude without adequate conditioning and you're worried about it, there is a drug you can use to prevent or at least reduce the effects of altitude sickness. Diamox (Acetazolamide) is rather effective according to a couple of friends who have used it (they were climbing Mt. Whitney). It's only by prescription, so you might ask your doctor about it.

In the military, supplemental oxygen is mandatory when flying in an unpressurized cockpit over 10,000 feet, and for very good reason. Anyone who has gone through altitude chamber training can verify that.

+ 1 on Mount Evans. If you do go down to Colorado Springs (Garden of the Gods) - stop by the chapel on the Air Force base + Manitou Springs which was just outside of Garden of the Gods. Nice little town to stroll through.

I

So jealous! Who are you going to see at Red Rocks? I really wanted to see the Turnpike Troubadours/American Aquarium show out there this summer, but I don't think we can pull it off. My DH saw Jethro Tull there a couple of years ago with a buddy and said it was incredible.

Second on the Estes Park recommendation, and also if you are a train buff, we took the Winter Park Express train from Denver up to Winter Park while on a recent visit and it was really, really cool. Beautiful scenery and no need to drive. Definitely enjoyed it.

Based on living in Denver for 25 years I would suggest some of the following in Colorado:

1. Rocky Mtn National Park
2. A mountain town....Vail, Breck, Estes Park are good options.
3. Pikes Peak
4. Mt Evans road. (Highest paved road in North America)
5. Garden of Gods
6. Cherry Creek Neighborhood in SE Denver
7. Boulder
8. LoDo Neighborhood in downtown Denver

These are all great ideas. I have been to several over the years and can vouch for them as attractions. I like driving, but we took the cog railway up to Pikes Peak. Very nice and you can really enjoy the scenery when not driving. IIRC it leaves from Manitou Springs which is a cool little town to experience.

Also, if you are taking I70, you might follow the old Route 66 from Chicago to St Louis. Again a great leisurely drive with lots to stop and see. Sounds like a fun trip - enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom