Join Early Retirement Today

Grand Cayman beginning of Dec
Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Grand Cayman beginning of Dec

Hi all,
I am thinking of booking 5 nights in Grand Cayman Islands starting Dec 7. I am thinking of staying at the Westin on 7 mile beach. Any advice?

I picked Dec 7 since hurricane season ends Dec 1. I selected Westin over Marriot since reviews say the beach is wider/nicer and they should be done with a nice renovation. I considered a condo but I like the pool, do not plan to cook and cost-wise it is actually cheaper for 7 mile beach.

Some items to potentially comment on:
- Will beach water be warm beginning of Dec? Is that a good time to go?
- Seems like relatively low cost - is now the time to book for Dec?
- Looks like I can rent a car for only $9/day. Seems like the way to go since a taxi to/from the airport alone will almost pay for itself
- Looks like Stingray City is a must do - anything else? Is Turtle Center, Botanic Park or Dolphin Discovery worthwhile?
- Any other comments?

TIA.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

We were in Georgetown, GC during a cruise a few years ago just before Christmas. Did the Stingray thing and it was fun; must do. Water temp was nice. We just randomly chose a local tour. It was fine but we were packed somewhat tight in the transfer to the boat. Think the missus might have gotten sick from the water (not bottled) they provided to guests.

Loved walking 7 mile beach but it was really hot during mid day. I don't recall there being a lot of easily accessible shady areas along the beach so be prepared for that if you want to walk the length of it.

Hell in Grand Cayman is quite the tourist trap but if you have time to kill, might as well send a post card home from Hell.

We just found a place to eat along the side of the road to grab food but I can't recall the name of it. Places we found during our research but didn't make to were:
Vivine's Kitchen
Welly's Cool spot Restaurant and Bar
Chicken! Chicken!

We took the city bus for a bit of transport which we found to be a decent option but a $9/day car rental sounds like a better option.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

Grand Cayman is beautiful; with the highest per capita income in the Caribbean. I was amazed at the beautifully manicured lawns, shrubs.
Have been there for the incredible diving but stayed on the East End during spring-summer (cant comment on December weather). It is a very expensive place for food and alcohol.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to Grand Cayman in February as part of a cruise. I did the Stingray City and snorkeling on the barrier reef. I highly recommend Moby Dick Tours. For $49, you get to do both the Stingrays and snorkeling.

https://www.mobydicktours.com/
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Water temp is always nice in the Caymans. If not a diver and want close encounters with biggish marine animals, stingray city is probably a must see.

Second erkevin: the Caymans are very expensive, but quite nice.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We have gone to Grand Cayman every year for more than 20 years, except in 2004 after it was devastated by Ivan. We used to go right after the first of the year but now go beginning right after Christmas.

The Westin is a good choice for hotels. The water will definitely be warm enough for swimming, it really always is. You are going at a good time, the weather should be fine, and the hordes haven't shown up yet.

If you are comfortable with the cost, book now. If you can really rent a car for $9 a day, go for it. You will find it much more convenient. Gas is really expensive, but you won't use much. On that note, everything on Grand Cayman is very expensive, so plan accordingly. Alcohol has a high tax, so duty free is the way to go if you want to have a drink in your room/balcony and watch the sunset.

Stingray City is very touristy but definitely a must-do. Our kids are adults now and still love going there. Snorkel trips elsewhere are also great, there are even good snorkel spots off Seven Mile Beach. If you are in good shape and interested, a resort dive course would be fantastic.

The turtle farm is OK, but we haven't been in ages since the kids were little. They have since totally renovated and expanded. Dolphin Discovery you can do anywhere. The botanic park is worth a visit. You could go to Hell while you are there, not too far from you and amusing for five minutes.

A fishing charter can be fun. There is a farmers/craft market in George Town that is worth a trip. Use the google to find out when it is open. George Town shops are also worth passing through, just don't go on a day when there are many cruise ships in port. Check the schedule here https://www.caymanport.com/ship-schedules/ A trip to rum point on the ferry is also fun when there aren't many ships in port.

Camana Bay is also a must, some nice shops and restaurants and impressive to consider what they are building there from nothing. The new Kimpton Seafire Resort is also worth a visit for a drink and a stroll. Not a long walk from the Westin. They have a beach bar (used to be very very casual but they fancied it up) that is the perfect spot to watch the sunset-get there early for a good spot.

Favorite restaurants are Edoardos (wonderful owner, staff, excellent food, easy on the wallet, an easy walk from the Westin), the Brasserie in George Town, Ragazzi, Calypso Grill, Cracked Conch/Macabuca (both in the same place in West Bay, the latter being the totally outside beach bar/grill. Go after dark and watch the night divers come and go right through the dining area-we do a night dive on the reef there every year and it is magical), Rackham's in George Town-they feed the Tarpon every night, it is right on the water, and a cheap eats bar/grill.

BTW, the locals call it simply "Cayman"-a reference to the largest island Grand Cayman, and also to the group of three islands. They cringe when it is called "The Caymans".
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

Of course if you are a diver and want to get away from it all, there are Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman (the other two islands). Not much in the way of shops but great if you are in the 3 dives a day mode.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #8

Early December will be very nice. If you want a great fine dining experience, we loved Calypso restaurant. For burgers, Sunshine Grill is great. Enjoy!! We stayed in a condo but I'm sure Westin will be nice if you like large resort properties. Car is advisable to have freedom to explore the island. Diving is great if you're into that.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #9

To the OP: I have stayed at the Westin on 7 mile beach many times (as a diver I have dove with Red Sail Sports there) and enjoyed it thoroughly. It has the best Spa I have been to in the Caribbean and is across from Eats, a great Sports Bar / Restaurant, and has a great beach area as well (isn't that why you go !). But, IMHO, 7 mile beach is over crowded now, and in Grand Cayman I prefer the East End which is much more relaxed with great dining over the breaking east ocean. We were in Little Cayman 2 weeks ago (best for diving: Bloody Bay Wall was one of Jacques Cousteau's world favorites) and is called Little Cayman as it is only 10 miles long by 1 mile wide. And we dove Cayman Brac in February with its majestic walls as well.
But to stay on the OP's topic, the Westin is a great choice, make sure to use the spa and enjoy the beach ! Yes - Sting Ray city is a must do and an experience to remember.
Enjoy !

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Cay-MAN
Old 07-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Cay-MAN

As a many time visitor and property owner, note that where you are going is simply and correctly called "Cay-MAN" with the emphasis exactly as shown. Have fun!
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #11

Yes: Grand Cayman is "Cay-MAN" Little Cayman is "Little" and Cayman Brac is "The Brac" On Little and Brac, Grand Cayman is just referred to as "Grand" as in "I'm going to Grand today and will be back tomorrow"

Reminds me when I was in Tokyo with a camera, all of the elementary school kids at the same museum I was at were giggling and pointing to me, the American tourist with the camera. That's when cameras had film and it was dangling around my neck

Rich
Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Reminds me when I was in Tokyo with a camera, all of the elementary school kids at the same museum I was at were giggling and pointing to me, the American tourist with the camera. That's when cameras had film and it was dangling around my neck
Funny how things go in cycles.....heading eastbound in Europe in 1963, driving a 1939 four cylinder right hand drive Ford that we'd purchased in England, we had Japanese tourists, (ALL of whom carried cameras, often numerous cameras at that time), take movie shots of the vehicle while it was sitting curbside.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #13

Thanks, everyone for your extremely helpful replies. I appreciate all the details. Who needs a travel agent when you have the FIRE website? Looking forward to going to Cayman and having a grand time.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #14

Stingray city is pretty cool.

An old HS friend and I went on a cruise with our significant others. The kid on the StingRay City shuttle boat showed us the stingrays by jumping in and catching one for us to touch. It took him all of about a minute to do it.
The kid, maybe 16 years old, made it look easy.

We spent the rest of the time trying to catch one, without success. We could almost bring it out of the water, with the head facing our chest, but it would slip off before it got it's back out of the water.

A couple of months or so after we got back, Steve Irwin was killed by a Stingray... Maybe we would not have been so aggressive with those rays if we would have known. But it all worked out.

Be sure to try and catch one.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Stingray city is pretty cool.

An old HS friend and I went on a cruise with our significant others. The kid on the StingRay City shuttle boat showed us the stingrays by jumping in and catching one for us to touch. It took him all of about a minute to do it.
The kid, maybe 16 years old, made it look easy.

We spent the rest of the time trying to catch one, without success. We could almost bring it out of the water, with the head facing our chest, but it would slip off before it got it's back out of the water.

A couple of months or so after we got back, Steve Irwin was killed by a Stingray... Maybe we would not have been so aggressive with those rays if we would have known. But it all worked out.

Be sure to try and catch one.

Senator, I hope you are joking about trying to catch a sting ray. Sting Ray City is a cool attraction, but I cannot imaging any reputable operation encouraging tourists to try to catch sting rays. That would be terrifying for the animal and it would quite rightly retaliate defensively. They will eat out of your hand if you treat them with respect.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Senator, I hope you are joking about trying to catch a sting ray. Sting Ray City is a cool attraction, but I cannot imaging any reputable operation encouraging tourists to try to catch sting rays. That would be terrifying for the animal and it would quite rightly retaliate defensively. They will eat out of your hand if you treat them with respect.
+1000
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #17

Is Cayman dollar still worth more than the US dollar? I remember it was $1.20 to our $1 back when I was there.
To the OP, I thought the turtle center was worth a visit.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Is Cayman dollar still worth more than the US dollar? I remember it was $1.20 to our $1 back when I was there.
$1.00 Cayman = $1.20 USD

Rich
Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #19

OK, so I purchased my nonrefundable trip for Dec! Long time away. I guess I have plenty of time now to plan.

I was thinking of getting a CapitalOne quick silver credit card as I get closer to Dec in order to make purchases with no foreign transaction fees.

Any other ideas for the trip, please let me know.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #20

Another note about GC. We took a cab to our VRBO rental at the top of 7 mile beach. We were told the bus system is very good. So we tested it out and loved it. There are 8-10 person vans that drive the roads frequently. All you have to do is stand at the side of the road in the direction you want to go. They will stop and pick you up. You tell them your destination and they'll let you know if they go all the way there. If not they'll drop you off near the end of their run and you pick another van that goes to that part of the island. I think it's $2 per person and you get to meet and talk to the locals as they use this all the time. We thought it was a blast.