Has Anyone recently migrated to Florida?

I am glad to see a thread about retiring in Florida that is not all doom and gloom!!

We own a home in Orlando that we use for vacation. We love going there often and thought about moving there for work but salaries are pretty low compared to west coast.

Is there anybody who snowbirds in ER between Florida and other states/countries?

That's our plan. We already own the home just north of Orlando and rent it for 6 winter months and to family for weeks at the parks during the summer. We own the property in WI for the northern leg but have a little building to do there.

This is the last year for winter rentals in FL and we will be executing plan in next 1-2 years. Can't wait.

I would think after some years we will dispose of the WI property and just be in FL but will do the commute as long as we are willing/able.

My uncle retired from the Chicago police department after 33 years and moved to the Villages. He told me the Villages has the highest STD rate per capita of anywhere in the country.

Mike

So, is that a reason to stay away, or a reason to move there? >:D

Dear Wife and I are retiring to cape coral florida as of July 2015-->Southwest Florida, Just north of Ritzy Naples. We are chomping at the bit to get there!!

What are the great places to retire in Florida? We have a home by Disney but would not want to retire there.

We are looking for close to water, international airport not too far, international community (love that aspect in Orlando) and upscale.

Any recommendations?

We have lived lived in Florida for 24 years and we purchased a villa home in Heritage Isle Viera, FL which is a 55 plus community. We will retire next year. The community is beautiful with a clubhouse that has all kinds of activities along with a gym and pool. There are many things to do just in the community. Viera is a friendly place to live. The community is near all the shops and restaurants and only 20 min from the beach. It is 50 minutes to the Orlando airport and Melbourne airport is close by. We can't wait to RETIRE and enjoy the area full time! Good luck in your search.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hertitage isle viera

Does anyone have experience of FL gated communities, that are not centered on GOLF, and are not for senior citizens only? We don't golf, and I prefer to have neighbors who are a mix of generations, not just senior citizens.

Amethyst

Does anyone have experience of FL gated communities, that are not centered on GOLF, and are not for senior citizens only? We don't golf, and I prefer to have neighbors who are a mix of generations, not just senior citizens.

Amethyst

Lakes of Mount Dora (central/north of Orlando) is not based on golf. Our community has a course but it is not the main feature (membership is optional).

Our community is now mixed. It was built in 1997 and all were almost the same age until the last several years. Now there is starting to be turnover which is giving it a nice mix.

There are many gated communities not on a golf course. Find an area that you like and get a knowledgeable realtor to take you around.

We just retired in Dallas and are moving to Weston (suburb of Ft. Lauderdale) in June.

Does anyone have experience of FL gated communities, that are not centered on GOLF, and are not for senior citizens only?

I don't understand the allure of senior citizen only communities. I like having kids in the neighborhood - sitting out on the patio hearing birds chirping and kids playing rather pleasant.

Anyway, apparently excluding families with kids from a neighborhood is quite popular. Anyone want to explain it to me?

Amethyst

Many communities are not golf centric. We visited some that were 55+. I believe that only applies to 80% of the residents. So you can have a mixture.

I do get your point we visited LOMD and liked it, but concerned about summer. There was another development (55+)we loved the home, but the activity center was full of nice folks we wouldn't have much in common with.

There are gated community's that are not 55+, we visited some. Think that was Vero area. They had kids, there were 4 or 5 kids in the activity center. The smell of Marijuana coming from the restroom was overpowering. This old man told one, "better do that outside it reeks in here". So pick your choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I do get your point we visited LOMD and liked it, but concerned about summer.

Is that because LOMD is central? Is there a lot of difference summer heat wise between the center and the coasts?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We just retired in Dallas and are moving to Weston (suburb of Ft. Lauderdale) in June.
How's your spanish? Weston's nickname is "Weston-zuela" due to the large number of Venezuelans that bought property there. :)

It's a nice community.

Is that because LOMD is central? Is there a lot of difference summer heat wise between the center and the coasts?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That was our thinking, but I have no personal experience.

We've looked at so many areas of the country, no roots in anyplace really, other than 36 years in MO. We know were not going back to the armpit where we grew up.

Florida my fears are heat, humidity and traffic during tourist season. I'm not sure that's the right or wrong place for us. If I was 100% convinced that's where I wanted to live, I'd stay down there a couple of months in the summer and winter.

How's your spanish? Weston's nickname is "Weston-zuela" due to the large number of Venezuelans that bought property there. :)

It's a nice community.

My wife is 1/2 Puerto Rican and 1/2 Dominican. She speaks fluently. I can understand enough that she cant say anything bad about me without me knowing :)

Sounds interesting. Thanks!

Lakes of Mount Dora (central/north of Orlando) is not based on golf. Our community has a course but it is not the main feature (membership is optional).

Our community is now mixed. It was built in 1997 and all were almost the same age until the last several years. Now there is starting to be turnover which is giving it a nice mix.

No chance of over-60's ever smoking that wacky backy, that's for sure ;):rolleyes:

There are gated community's that are not 55+, we visited some. Think that was Vero area. They had kids, there were 4 or 5 kids in the activity center. The smell of Marijuana coming from the restroom was overpowering. So pick your choice.

No chance of over-60's ever smoking that wacky backy, that's for sure ;):rolleyes:

Definitely not. :cool: That never happens.
Just mentioned as a reference to the issues with neighborhoods. Young, senior whatever, just get get off my lawn.

My wife is 1/2 Puerto Rican and 1/2 Dominican. She speaks fluently. I can understand enough that she cant say anything bad about me without me knowing :)
That's what you think :D

j/k. Weston is new and borders the Everglades. This means electrical power comes directly from those towering power lines to underground cables, so power almost never goes out during storms, unlike the rest of South Florida.

Last edited:
I don't understand the allure of senior citizen only communities. I like having kids in the neighborhood - sitting out on the patio hearing birds chirping and kids playing rather pleasant.

Anyway, apparently excluding families with kids from a neighborhood is quite popular. Anyone want to explain it to me?

For us we could care less if there are kids or not. We like the extra level of security. I must admit we have come to like the quiet but know others may not.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom