Hawaii trip planning questions

+1 :facepalm:

I sometimes get my right & left mixed up, starboard & port, fore & aft, along with my leeward & windward... quite often depends on the direction that I'm facing.

But I've never made the mistake of pi$$ing into the wind!

I'll be making the same trip next June for the 6th time. Stay in a condo; VRBO is great. If you want to split locations, you'll pay a little more for a 2-3 day stay than a 7 day. But you will spend more time and money in travel time.

If you get a condo, stop at local farmers markets for fresh cheap produce. Check out local seafood shops. DW and I love to cook; can make a cheap delicious seafood dinner that would've cost you an arm and leg. We can grill fresh ahi tuna with a tropical fruit salsa and rice just as good as the next guy. But I won't have the "tiny bubbles " magic.

Get out and see the islands, hike and swim, snorkle them. Every beach is accessible by law. Every beach is a different ecosystem, coral, sand, surf and fish. If you are going to lay on the beach and get a tan, save your money and go to Florida.

Get the books " Maui Revisited" and "Hawaii Revisited". Great info; tells you all the secrets. Like I mentioned, been there 5 times and had a blast with and without the kids.
Spent more money staying 7 days at Disney than 10 days in Hawaii. (no rental car in Disney either.)

And "ocean view" may mean you can see the ocean....looking through trees, between 2 other buildings, and may be just an ocean "glimpse".

Check out priceline.com as well, I booked a hotel with them just last week and got a pretty good deal. I was then able to bundle a rental car for only $17 a day.

Stayed the whole time near Kona, if I had to do it again I would split it up to Hilo or elsewhere to cut down on driving time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We didn't make the Hana drive in our recent Maui visit. So much to do!

Honestly - I think we were too busy running around and gathering fresh papayas and other glorious tropical fruits to take to our condo in Kaanapali. Fortunately our first B&B was up at 3000 feet (towards Haleakala) and surrounded by fruit farms with roadside stands. It was good that we stocked up, because the local supply in the Kaanapali area wasn't nearly as good quality.

What we did on Maui was spend three nights in a B&B near Kula, for easier access to the top of the volcano (Haleakala), and then we relocated to Kaanapali area for a longer period. At Kaanapali most of what we wanted to do was in walking distance, although we did drive to Lahaina one afternoon (and lord was it hot!!!). We really enjoyed our trip.

Last edited:
I go to Maui often. I sometimes stay in Kehei and sometimes near Lahania.

My favorite spot on Maui is the Ka'anahali Beach Resort. It's very old Hawaiian. The beach is right there, snorkeling at Black Rock right there. Nice restaurant, bar, every night there's live music, walking distance to Whaler's Village. It's not fancy but you will leave very relaxed. They give you a welcome breakfast where you can sign up for all the fun stuff; snorkeling boat trips, dinner cruises, etc. all at the best prices. If you go there, pay for the valet parking. So easy to just walk out and they fetch your car and it's only about $2 a day more than regular parking. There are a few golf courses right there too. Even if you don't golf, you will find them nice to walk on in the evenings.

There are lots of hidden beaches on Maui. Get a book to tell you where. Mostly on dead end streets in neighborhoods. There will be a gate between two houses. Signs will say Beach Access but are small, you have to look.

Hana is o.k. if you've never been, but I have a friend who has a house there. I hire a helicopter to take us. Lands on their back yard and picks us up in a few days for about $200. Cheaper than a hotel! Ha!

Make dinner reservations at Mama's Fish House if you've never been. You'll feel like royalty. Pricey though; dinner for two, with drinks, dessert was about $300. A special treat for us, but we are so glad we did it.

Upcountry is Cowboy Town and lots of little shops and businesses. Drive around the North end all the way. Beautiful turnouts and views. Takes all day.

The volcano is also pretty neat to see at least once.

We book our trips through Costco. Air, hotel, car for around $2500 for two for 10 days.

What a timely thread! We're spending a week on the big island and a week on Maui next Jan/Feb. I booked one night at Volcano House; otherwise we're staying at timeshares in Kona and Kihei. Maybe we should spend more time in Volcanoes national park.

I last went to Maui in 1995. When the government shutdown closed the national parks. So this time we'll get to Haleakala. I'm also looking forward to seeing humpback whales in Maui.

The highlight of our last Maui trip was a helicopter ride over Molokai and the west Maui mountains. The waterfalls on Molokai were amazing.

The many suggestions on where to eat are helpful. I won't be spending $300 on a meal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Went to Maui two years ago. Went the twisty road to Hana like everyone else, but then continued to circle the island clockwise. It was very passible with just a few sections of dirt/gravel road. It was a much different (much straighter) road but no roadside stands. If we go back to Hana I would not hesitate to return from Hana going clockwise. We missed it but Charles Lindburg is buried somewhere on this return road and there are some other attractions to see also, other than the mgnificent scenery. For both Maui and the big island we use the blue books "Maui Revealed" and "Big Island Revealed" to point out landmarks, places to go, and things to do, with detailed directions based on roadside mile markers.

Zip605

Wow, some terrific ideas! Thanks to everyone! Have the Revealed books and will ponder all the advise you've provided and figure out how to move forward. Thanks again!

There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Back
Top Bottom