Would you go to Hawaii right now?

Watched news this morning where it said Maui businesses now are pretty much saying please come back and please visit. They need your tourists dollars. Not at the place where the fires were at but other parts.

Some facts I heard on the news this evening: Maui typically has about 65,000 visitors (tourists) on-island right now. (It's headed into shoulder season.) But the current estimate is about 13,000. That's a huge hit to the economy so there is certainly an economic argument to be made to bring the tourists back. It's also a huge number of people potentially getting in the way of relief efforts.

You would think those kinds of numbers would impact rates.

But I suspect not.

We are going early next year... Kauai and the Big Island..

You would think those kinds of numbers would impact rates.

But I suspect not.

It will sooner or later. It's very dependent upon the individual business. Some folks can "casually" lay folks off (when it's a small family business, for instance) and others require much more "fixed" labor (hotels and restaurants.) It's complicated.

Probably, but there aren’t any mid level business hotels on Maui. Also, back when I worked for the Federal Govt, the per diem rate was insanely low, so with the lack of visitors those hotels probably decided to accept the max rate the Feds will pay.

You also have to understand a little about how hotel rates work here. Almost every hotel has rates for locals that are much lower, typically 40% off and they often have contracts with the state and other employers for lower rates for visitors. My company has arrangements with several resorts for visitors. The resorts are normally well over $500 a night but our contract rate is about $150.

I used to have business at University of Hawaii Manoa and they would get me rooms at beach front hotels in Waikiki for less than $100 a night with no resort fees.

The state negotiated with the resorts on Maui so I suspect the rates are around $150 a night or less. Remember, the state could have shut down Kaanapali completely for months. They have a pretty strong bargaining position during emergencies.

So yeah the Four Seasons might be full of FEMA employees but there is no way they are paying what a tourist would pay.

You also have to understand a little about how hotel rates work here. Almost every hotel has rates for locals that are much lower, typically 40% off and they often have contracts with the state and other employers for lower rates for visitors. My company has arrangements with several resorts for visitors. The resorts are normally well over $500 a night but our contract rate is about $150.

I used to have business at University of Hawaii Manoa and they would get me rooms at beach front hotels in Waikiki for less than $100 a night with no resort fees.

The state negotiated with the resorts on Maui so I suspect the rates are around $150 a night or less. Remember, the state could have shut down Kaanapali completely for months. They have a pretty strong bargaining position during emergencies.

So yeah the Four Seasons might be full of FEMA employees but there is no way they are paying what a tourist would pay.

I suspect the resorts compensate for giving out lower rates to govt agencies and local companies by boosting the rack rates for out of state visitors.

Many may feel it is disrespectful. But many on the island rely on tourist dollars for their livelihood and they need your support.
Hiking Diamondhead is fun. Someone told me the other day that it now requires a reservation.

I wouldn’t go to Hawaii now. Let maui heal and recover. We’ve been there twice, I’m not a beach person, and I don’t see a reason to go back unless DW wants to.

Many may feel it is disrespectful. But many on the island rely on tourist dollars for their livelihood and they need your support.
Hiking Diamondhead is fun. Someone told me the other day that it now requires a reservation.

I wouldn’t go to Hawaii now. Let maui heal and recover. We’ve been there twice, I’m not a beach person, and I don’t see a reason to go back unless DW wants to.

I think it would be respectful to avoid West Maui for awhile, but all other areas of Hawaii are open and need visitors. Obviously, if you don't want to go to Hawaii for some reason, visit later. But I wouldn't avoid Hawaii in general. Tourist dollars are the most important life blood for the Islands. YMMV

The wife and I are leaving for Hawaii in two weeks on a tour(our 25th Anniversary)of four islands including Maui. We were just contacted by our tour company yesterday that the local government & tour industry is ENCOURAGING tourists to please come to Hawaii and help support the local economy.
I was happy to hear there will be little disruption of our original itinerary and Maui is open for business as usual with the exception of the affected areas.

Huh. Article said until mid October.

Thanks for nuthin, Alaska Air.

Yeah, I logged on and was disappointed to be told offer expired. I suspect a lot of people took them up on the offer!

The wife and I are leaving for Hawaii in two weeks on a tour(our 25th Anniversary)of four islands including Maui. We were just contacted by our tour company yesterday that the local government & tour industry is ENCOURAGING tourists to please come to Hawaii and help support the local economy.
I was happy to hear there will be little disruption of our original itinerary and Maui is open for business as usual with the exception of the affected areas.

Of course the local government and the tour industry is encouraging tourists to visit Hawaii right now. That's actually the PROBLEM! They are so desperate for your money that they disregard the locals' needs.

[MOD EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the local government and the tour industry is encouraging tourists to visit Hawaii right now. That's actually the PROBLEM! They are so desperate for your money that they disregard the locals' needs.

[MOD EDIT]

This gets into the age old issue. How do you share your particular natural wonder (yes, for money) and yet preserve some kind of "life" for those living in the vicinity - and how do you preserve what you're sharing.

A good example: Hanauma Bay is an Oahu bay that offers snorkeling. During the pandemic, the reefs and fishes made an amazing comeback. It was so obvious that now, more restrictions are in place to try to save/preserve this natural wonder. Probably the biggest change is that fees have "exploded" which naturally limits attendance. Years ago - it was free and you just drove in and parked. Now, you need to register on line, get approved, pay for parking and drop $25/each. Attendance is limited.

Why do I mention this? It comes down to that delicate balance of sharing and yet preserving paradise while respecting those that live close by.

Back
Top Bottom