Join Early Retirement Today
Heading to Italy
Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Heading to Italy

Tomorrow I leave for ten days in Puglia, the heel of the Italian boot. DW and I are going on a bike tour with VBT (Vermont Bicycle Tours) which really means a food and wine tour with some riding thrown in for balance. I'll post some envy provoking photos on my return.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...
Have a great time ! I love to read their brochures . They trips look like so much fun !

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Buon viaggio!
42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...
I hope y'all have a wonderful time...and I certainly want to see the photos!

My trip to Italy turned into home improvements....
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have a great trip.
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...
It was a great trip, although we got rained out for a day and a half. The food and accommodations were great and the riding was fun, but easy. We selected hybrid bikes because some of the roads are rough. The couple we traveled with chose road bikes and had a few flats. If you are considering a trip to Italy I would recommend you first try Tuscany rather than Puglia. The scenery in Tuscany is more diverse and beautiful - more what you expect in the Italian countryside. Puglia is drier and more barren - much like southern Spain. The other aspect of Puglia that didn't appeal to me is the conservative culture. As you ride into small towns all you see are men, sitting around the squares and bars. The women are at home behind closed doors. We got a pasta making lesson from one of the guides' grandmother. The guide remembered eating at the the table at their house with the men and her cousins but granny NEVER ate at the table with them - she worked more like a hired cook. Things struck me as more egalitarian in the north. Here are a few pictures. If you are interested in more you can take a look at my online gallery.

Barb riding up the coast:

Me (left) and Barb (right) with the couple we traveled with:

Riding through flooded olive groves after a torrential rain:

Riding into the small town Ostuni:

A typical olive tree field:

Overlooking the Adriatic coast after a long ride into a 25 MPH wind:

The whole crew we rode with our charming granny pasta maker:

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote