• 21-25

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • 26-30

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • over 30

Votes: 29 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Regarding travel to Kinshasa, this epic thread from a couple (Belgian, no less) driving across the D.R.C. in a Toyota Landcruiser in 2008 continues to amaze: Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa - Expedition Portal Really Long thread, with their story being interspersed with commentary, but a worthwhile read. (My personal takeaway was: "Wow, that's interesting.... They're nuts.")

Regarding travel to Kinshasa, this epic thread from a couple (Belgian, no less) driving across the D.R.C. in a Toyota Landcruiser in 2008 continues to amaze: Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa - Expedition Portal Really Long thread, with their story being interspersed with commentary, but a worthwhile read. (My personal takeaway was: "Wow, that's interesting.... They're nuts.")

Neat! DW, my tech wiz, is going to see if she can somehow download the whole thing to our little laptop for reading on the ship, (with no internet access).

Related: I met this couple, circa 1998, at an RV park in Tsawwassen (Vancouver); they were living in a tent while awaiting the arrival of their vehicle which their sponsor, Toyota, was shipping to Canada......Land Cruiser arrived a few days later:

One Couple's Land Cruiser Lands In Guinness Book Of World Records - Autoblog

Currently at the top of our list....Philippines and Thailand for this coming winter.

TransSiberian railway trip, China-St Petersburg, is on my list, not DW's. Looking at Sept but now DD is having a baby Oct 5ish (section) so the the rail trip gets postponed until next year.

Spent fours hours in emerg waiting room last night and spent the time researching both. And thinking about where we had been and where we need to revisit because so much has changed.

I would be happy with a small 1BR pad that serves as a base for six-eight months of travel per year. Not DW. So we are now packing and culling our possessions for a move in a few weeks to a new, larger, permanent abode that we will own. What is surprising? We did a major downsize four years ago. Now, we are downsizing some of the boxes that remain unopened after that time plus some of the decor items. Only downside is that DW expects me to go furniture shopping with her. I hate shopping.....unless it is on line for travel opportunities!

I've travelled to 28 countries, 36 states, and I w*rk in DC.

Will be adding another state in July, and hopefully another country within a year...

We are 6 to 10....but....been working in Africa since 2003.....permanent resident basis for oilfield.
Not much travel for fun...all work....

Couldn't/didn't count all my Caribbean cruises, would have put me 30+.

Same here but "definition of a "visit" is spending at least 48 consecutive hours there"

Also excludes some for me, and frankly I think it's a good definition as taking a cruise excursion might be fun, but hardly long enough to experience the real culture etc..

1 at the moment. I went to Canada a few times, but never for more than a night when I lived in upstate NY. Did a week in D.R. a couple years ago. I've kinda gotten the bug to travel since then. I'm going to Aruba later this year and have a goal to visit at least 1 new country each year on vacation going forward. I suspect that quite a few years it will be more than one, especially after I retire. Being that I'm 40 y.o. now and plan to retire in the next 7 years, I expect the number will increase dramatically by the time I reach "normal" retirement age.

I counted 29 when I clicked on the poll, then remembered two more for a total of 31. By the end of June I'll be able to add four more.

136 according to Most Traveled People but I at the stage of slowing down and going back to places I like.

https://mosttraveledpeople.com/index.php

My friend has an aunt in southwestern France and has spent a day or two in Andorra. Probably one of the few. When I worked in Metz, I spent many days in Luxembourg, one of those rare gems. We went back last year and DW said why. After we visited, she understood.

States.....haven't been to Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Vermont, South Dakota, Utah.

Provinces...haven't been to Newfoundland. (Or the northern territories.)
When we lived in Tranna for 14 years, we mostly went north and south. So have done most of the states. We are missing a few east of the Miss.
Also North Dakota. Spending 8 years in Alberta helped to cover the western states.

In Canada, Nunavut and the Yukon.

You made me look.

51 Countries
51 States if you include Puerto Rico

After visiting that website (which I bookmarked) my count went from 28 to 33. Most of my traveling was in the 90s. Maybe I need to hit the road again.

22 foreign countries, although that 22 includes Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands which are probably technically protectorates or whatever.

37 states, and that 37 includes DC, which of course technically isn't a state. Whatever.

Will add 2 more countries in early September (Belgium and Luxembourg).

But, all travel has been in the Northern hemisphere. Have yet to make it across the Equator.

34 countries, some with longer stays and some brief. Prefer staying long enough to really experience the local culture, food, etc. vs just doing a quick stay. Now that we've ER'd, we're doing and planning longer trips. Big trip this year is 3 months in the Virgin Islands. Next year planning a trip to Greece for about a month.

34 countries, some with longer stays and some brief. Prefer staying long enough to really experience the local culture, food, etc. vs just doing a quick stay. Now that we've ER'd, we're doing and planning longer trips. Big trip this year is 3 months in the Virgin Islands. Next year planning a trip to Greece for about a month.

PS - have been to 5 continents. Not interested in Antarctica but would like to go to South America, probably more than once since it's a big continent with a lot to see.

Now that we are retired our tendency, and our preference, is toward slower travel. Extended trips to two or three countries-especially during our winter months.

I just wish my wife could get the travel bug out of her system. Surfing the internet for travel bargains is a bad hobby.

Our recent Holland America cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome only cost $80 per day--for both of us. And the $238 flight from Budapest to the U.S. also wasn't bad.

We spend much less traveling the world than our friends just going down to the Gulf beaches.

Same here. Shopping for next winter at the moment. Getting a feel for airfare, good locations, and accomodation. A Philippine steward on our recent cruise gave a list of places that the locals like and are a bit away from the usual tourist spots. Plan to do openjaw to Manila and out via Phuket, or vice versa.

Two months with a stops in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur on the way to/from Southern Thailand.

I think we spend as much in two months as we would spend in Hawaii for two or three weeks. The trick is adapt to the long flights to and from. And of course to get DW's buy in.

I have been to 5 countries not counting my Caribbean cruises. There are only 12 states that I have not been too.

21 countries and 21 states. Several of the countries were on business and I went to them more times than I can count. If we were polling the number of international trips, I'm somewhere in the 100-150 range.

45 it seems + Antarctic. Probably won't go much higher.

Met a guy on my Egypt trip that is on a 'quest' to travel to every country on earth, including special territories. I think he had less than 15 to go or so.

Back
Top Bottom