How much should you tip in each Country

Thank you, and very timely for me. Leaving for London and Paris at end of this month and I was just thinking about this!

I was just in London. The tip was included on the food bill. Usually it was 10%, except in the West End it was 13%.

Interesting article and graphics. I suspect those percentages for restaurant workers generally reflect the "service charge" added to the bill. If a service charge is specified I always take that into account when calculating a tip including in the US.

Another Californian here.

I do not tip for counter service (Panera, Starbucks, Pizza take out) as minimum wage is $15.50 hr. Most dine-in restaurants around here have tip lines for 15%, 20%, and 25%. And I pick one of those based on service unless service charge is added to the bill or I'm in a 'no tipping zone.' I tip the dog groomer & my hairdresser 20%.

I do not tip in Japan & only 10% in Europe

Last edited:
There isn't much guidance on what to tip a tour guide.

We've had great full day, pricey private tours in other countries. We tipped 20% in Japan and the guide seemed very surprised-I guess that was too much. I'm thinking now more like 10% for a private tour.

A tour guide is much different than a server. Someone that is with you for 4-8 hours showing you all the things you have requested. Twenty percent extra seems like a small price to pay for something you may never do again.

It's hard to say without knowing the details. How many people in the group and how much was each person charged? For example, if there was a group of 8 people and each was charged $125, the guide collected $1000 for a day or part day of work. I don't see any reason to tip someone that earns $1000 a day.

2 people on a private tour that cost $400 or $500 for 4 hours, that seems to be sufficient remuneration. 2 people paying $200 for a private tour that lasts 4 hours, maybe a tip is warranted.

Traveled much across my career years. My experience FWIW was: In Hungary we tipped 10% and the servers appeared thrilled at that amount. In Rome area of Italy we were around 15% and again the servers appeared comfortable with that. In Germany while we tipped based upon service we were chastised by our german suppliers for ANY tipping. We were "schooled" that the service people made very good living wages and it was NOT customary to supplement the bill (we still tipped when we weren't out with our German team mates but much more modestly). In Australia we were again cautioned about tipping since we were educated that the servers were paid well for their jobs. In Sweden we tipped like in America. In Japan tipping is not really customary and so anything is out of the norm.

That said, I ALWAYS tipped any valet service and tour guides et al when using their services which was almost all locations. If you want to really see the best of a location hire a local guide. I was a consummate traveler and not once did I regret letting the locals take me around.

Last edited:
Traveled much across my career years. My experience FWIW was: In Hungary we tipped 10% and the servers appeared thrilled at that amount. In Rome area of Italy we were around 15% and again the servers appeared comfortable with that. In Germany while we tipped based upon service we were chastised by our german suppliers for ANY tipping. We were "schooled" that the service people made very good living wages and it was NOT customary to supplement the bill (we still tipped when we weren't out with our German team mates but much more modestly). In Australia we were again cautioned about tipping since we were educated that the servers were paid well for their jobs. In Sweden we tipped like in America. In Japan tipping is not really customary and so anything is out of the norm.

That said, I ALWAYS tipped any valet service and tour guides et al when using their services which was almost all locations. If you want to really see the best of a location hire a local guide. I was a consummate traveler and not once did I regret letting the locals take me around.

When we went to Itally in 1996 a close friend in Itally told us that restaurant workers were well paid an tipping woul be an insult. By my last trip to Italy in 2019 they seem to expect it, at least in tourist areas. We Americans have screwed ourselves!

Back
Top Bottom