Iceland in August Ideas?

jpjr

Recycles dryer sheets
We are travelling to Iceland for a two week tour with Overseas Adventure Travel. We anticipate arriving a few days before the organized tour and were looking for some tips from all of you seasoned travelers. We probably will restrict those free days visiting in and around Reykjavik.

Thanks in advance for your input.

jpjr

Heck, yes. Do the Inside the Volcano Tour. It's a 2-mile hike through lava fields, on a path. Weather is VERY changeable but they provide big yellow rain slickers. You are taken down inside the only known hollow volcano via a hydraulic lift. They don't know exactly how it happened: maybe after an eruption the lava seeped back down into a crevice- but the rocks in there are spectacular- all sizes, shapes and colors (indicating mineral content). Bill Gates and Charlie Sheen have taken the tour although they arrived by helicopter. Charlie Sheen, they told us, arrived with women in spike heels and had to be asked not to consume cocaine at the base camp.

If you're a chess buff, Bobby Fischer is buried in Selfoss about 40 km away.

Hot dogs? We missed those! We also skipped Dunkin' Donuts, which seemed to be a VERY popular business in downtown Reykjavik.

In general, the food in Iceland was not a big attraction for us other than a yogurt-type concoction called Skyr. The Icelandic word for it was "undanrennen" (as in rennet?). The menu for the fancy restaurant at hour hotel included a horsemeat- CARPACCIO!- appetizer. Other places served whale and puffin. We didn't try any of these exotic choices. When we stayed overnight in Boston on our way home, the hotel had a Happy Hour with huge trays of fresh vegetables and I realized how much I missed them. Iceland is not a great place for fresh veggies!

Still, food was the only drawback for us. If DH hadn't gotten sick, we were going to go back this past August because we loved it so much,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 1.38.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 1.38.26 PM.png
    520.2 KB · Views: 24
Shucks. Guess I'll have to go back!

We spent 2 weeks in Iceland. We rented a 4 wheel drive to tour the island and it was sooooo much fun.

We also did two trips based from Reykjavik. One was air taxi to Husafell; and then glacier cave tour. This ice cave is only one open in the summer. We also toured lava cave Raufarholshellir; we hiked all the branches of the cave for around 2 miles; some times over big boulders.

Iceland is the place I sure will re-visit after retirement.

Great place

My wife and I have been several times between us and love it. Unlike anywhere else we have gone. Tremendous for nature lovers.

The dive or snorkel excursion over the Continental divide is an absolute must do. A highlight.

The food is very good if stunningly expensive by most standards. However, we learned that all the real food on the island (that is, not packaged and imported) is virtually 100% organic.

A great place to visit for a short getaway or a longer exploration. And they made/make Game of Thrones there, c'mon...

If your tour does not include a visit to a local pool, do like the locals and go to one. You can swim but plan to use the hot tubs and steam.

We enjoyed riding the Icelandic horses since they are unique to Iceland. (We are not big horse riders but decided to do it there).

Finally, another unique location is the phallus museum. Actually, more interesting than I expected. Not sure you will find another one anywhere else in the world. The Icelandic Phallological Museum

Pay attention to all the statues. Just makes walking around better.

We loved our time there. Enjoy!

Oh, yes, the pools! I used an Olympic-sized indoor pool near our hotel-geothermically-heated, of course- for about $3/visit. It was an experience in itself- obligatory shower beforehand in one large room with other female visitors, no partitions, no swimsuits. To quote Three Dog Night: "I seen so many things I ain't never seen before". Very European. When in Rome.

The Kex hostel has a bar and cafe / restaurant that has pretty good food at a reasonable price it's also got a decent view of the waterfront - they also have some nice live music on occasion
http://www.kexhostel.is

The cafe at the harpa center is good for a coffee and dessert - check their event calendar also the symphony etc play there. It's worth visiting the cafe for a coffee during the day just to check out the interior of the building which is quite unique
https://www.harpa.is/

Very useful thread, as DW and I just decided to stop over in Reykjavik on our way back from a vacation next September. Just for a few days.

OAT Untamed Iceland

We did the OAT Iceland trip this past August (2016). It was great....great weather (a little rain, a little everything). Hope you get Trip Leader Anna!
If you have an evening free in Reykjavik, there is hilarious comedy show at the Concert Hall (can't remember its name, but you'll see the iconic building, colored glass blocks and prisms). You'll be entertained and given an intro into
Icelandic culture.

I haven't been yet but it's on my list. I appreciate the comments here.

Comedy show at Harpa Concert Hall

How to become Icelandic in 60 minutes
Next event
26. Nov 2016 – Time. 19:00
138 events
Price
4.400 – 4.500 kr.
Buy ticket
5th successful year!!!

For 1100 years Icelanders have been trying to grow as a nation. As of today there are only around 320.000 Icelanders living. Around 500.000 Icelanders are dead and therefore currently cannot help their nation with this task. Since Iceland is the navel of the universe the world needs more Icelanders. Please help!

In seeing How to become Icelandic in 60 minutes Bjarni Haukur Thorsson teaches you everything you need to know about being Icelandic, in just one hour. You will learn how to walk, talk and behave like a regular Icelander. Additionally you will learn why eating sour sheep balls might save your life.

The show is much more than a stand up comedy routine, it is a hilarious blend of incisive and visual observation of the Icelandic human condition, their attitudes, struggles and everyday life. You will laugh and learn and at the end of the show leave the theater feeling 100% Icelandic.

Come and see the show. Laugh, learn and be of help.

Iceland needs you!

HOW TO BECOME ICELANDIC IN 60 MINUTES
Written & Produced by Bjarni Haukur Thorsson
Directed by Sigurður Sigurjónsson
Performed by Örn Árnason & Karl Ágúst Úlfsson
THORSSON PRODUCTIONS
Thorsson Productions

Hi all again,

Great info thus far. Any thoughts on a hotel near the airport with easy transfer options to and from?
jpjr

The airport is WAY FAR AWAY from the city. We have booked Hotel Frón, but will need to take a bus to get there.

Transportation in Iceland

Wow, I was prepared/warned about the higher costs for our visit to Iceland, but I did not anticipate the cost of renting a car for two days. Bottom line appears to be almost $400, plus any ancillary costs. I know about the bus to and from the airport, but we hoped to spend two days doing something local. Any suggestions?

You can enjoy just being in Reykjavik for at least a couple of days. Use the hop on/hop off bus to get around to the major sights. It's a very walkable city as well.

Wow, I was prepared/warned about the higher costs for our visit to Iceland, but I did not anticipate the cost of renting a car for two days. Bottom line appears to be almost $400, plus any ancillary costs. I know about the bus to and from the airport, but we hoped to spend two days doing something local. Any suggestions?

That seems high. We rented a car for 58 EUR last August for a one day rental. We rented an Opel Astra through Sixt. It looks like it was booked directly with them, so odds are I found the rate through kayak.

We went in August 3 years ago and had the same issue. It's a supply/demand issue. There may just be too many visitors at that time. The cars were almost 200 a day for the small ones. Luckily there were 8 of us and we were able to find an amazing 10-passenger with huge viewing windows for like $300 a day so we got to really enjoy sights. The other thing to be careful is that a lot of cars are manual so hopefully you guys can drive one.

It was worth it as we did a self-tour. It is light out almost all day and the few hours its like dusk and not very dark so we basically got up and went out around 10am and would stay out as late as we wanted. All the sights we went to are open to everyone and no fees and no gates so you can go as early or as late as you want. You did need a light fleece pullover at times so layer up but it wasn't that bad.

I have done over 30 countries and can say Iceland is in my top 5. It is a magical place and I can't wait to go back. I think August will be a perfect place to explore.

Back
Top Bottom