If you could live anyplace in the world for 6 months where would it be?

Six months in one place is a long time. But drop me and a good bicycle and camping gear (and a wad of cash) in France and I'd ride the length of the Canal du Midi, and then I could sneak off on train trips to anywhere in Europe and you'd never know I left France.
There are lots of places in the world I haven't been that I'd like to visit, but they are all a bit too challenging for me to want to stay six months.
So I guess the answer is Europe.

I am not sure where exactly but I would like to try a nice town on the CA coast like Santa Barbara. I will probably try a month or so in a VRBO condo sometime but I need to research the best places first. Needs good restaurants and good roads for bike riding.

Interesting that this question should come up as last night I was making a draft of how we would spend our first 3 years of travelling once we are retired.
Hah! That's one of my standard daydreaming activities too. I can actually fill up a couple years at per week granularity, in logical directional fashion for minimum travel expense.

As for original question, have traveled all over the world and given six months the answer is easy... New Orleans. Something about that place I can't put my finger has completely captured me, hell the food alone would keep me happy for six months.

Somewhere in Northern Thailand would be second, again the food! Yeah I'm one of those people who eats/drinks whatever they want and stays skinny. :greetings10:

My real answer is that, after visiting many many places, I have always said that none compare with "home." -- that is, Denver.

On Hawaii: Yes, I would love to to spend six months in the Hawaii I first met:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/opinion/21theroux.html?scp=6&sq=hawaii&st=cse

However, the Hawaii of the past ten years or so is only tolerable for a couple [-]hours[/-] weeks at a time.

Silver City, New Mexico is one place I do think about occasionally, though.

I wouln't mind Hawaii for six months. I'd also love to live in a cabin in the relatively high mountains somewhere near a small lake, river, or creek.

Realistically, we probably will spend a month at a time every few years in Hawaii, and a week or two at a time in a travel trailer or RV in the mountains near a water source.

R

We plan to live in Guisborough, N. Yorks, for 6 months in 2011. We've been looking at furnished accommadation, it is very affordable, and we are looking forward to it immensely. The reason is that we lived there before, from '79 to '85 and absolutely loved it (both children were born there). It is a market town on the edge of National Trust Moorland. 30 mins walk up steep hills get you on top of the moors, with plenty of places to walk to. It is also close to many other historic towns and beautiful countryside - James Herriot country for those who've read his books.

The following year we plan to live in Queensland, Australia, for 6 months. We've been there twice before for 3 weeks each time. We have family and friends living there, also the countryside and coastline is so beautiful plus you have the Great Barrier Reef. From there we also plan a few weeks in New Zealand - never been there but hear great things from friends who have.

Hard to say. No first hand experiences outside the States so it would just be a guess. I'm sure I could easily find an enjoyable stay for 6 months here at home. Hawaii seems to be a no brainer. I've enjoyed my visits in the Vail, CO area so I know 6 months there would be fun. Outside the U.S., probably Australia.

There have been a lot of replies to the effect that I would live some where for X months of the year.

I live in CA where it is nice all year and coastal California is my choice.

I have been to Hawaii a dozen time and love it there and I would certainly have no problem living there. I love the (warm) ocean, the mountains and the fact that so many people are active.

But as far as being the "best place" I rule out Hawaii because of the weather. It is just a little too hot and too humid there.

Edit: Sorry I didn't do a very good job of reading the original question. For 6 months my choice would probably be Paris or London or Rome.

Wow, Manhattan to the Matterhorn, and Hawaii. This thread is news to me, Paul Theroux has re-married but OP isn't responding to his own question.

I'm inspired to park on the old easy chair for six months, re-read "The Magic Mountain" and Theroux's latest. He's settled down as a (part time, second career) beekeeper, who would have predicted that?:)

Vancouver BC, Coastal California, Hawaii or Northern New Mexico

Which six months out of the year? That determines whether I'd choose some place cool or some place warmer.

Just chose coastal southern California so you're covered either way.

Someplace with warm quiet water for swimming and sandy beaches. But no sharks or other biting things in the water. No no-see-ums. Flat or gently rolling land for biking on either quiet roads or paved trails.

Anyone know where this is? Let me know.

Someplace with warm quiet water for swimming and sandy beaches. But no sharks or other biting things in the water. No no-see-ums. Flat or gently rolling land for biking on either quiet roads or paved trails.

5 minutes from my house, only in August.
No-see-ums are gone by late summer.
No water snakes at all.
Lake is warmed up enough to not get the goose bumps. Sandy beach (brought in by truck years ago) at the state park.
Lots of country roads and the NYS Barge Canal bike path, paved in most places, packed dirt elsewhere.
:D

Somewhere along the Mediterranean coast...

Various parts of Hawaii. Sharks don't like sandy water, so I guess it depends how far out you're swimming...

The Pearl Harbor bicycle trail (paved) now stretches all the way from the naval base out to Waipahu. Further in both directions with some street riding.

You fish Rambler?

Not now I don't...no time. I would fish a little if I lived near a clean place to fish. I don't like eating fish much, but DW does.

More than that though, I love hiking around some of the lakes that are a couple hours from our California home, and I love the sound of a creek/stream/river as it flows over the rocks in the streambed. If there is a place like that which does not have snow all over the place in the winter and skeeters in the sumer, that would be ideal. I could live in Hawaii because I love to walk and jog up and down the beach, but I would probably prefer the cooler months.

R

Maybe Penobscot Bay in the Maine summer.

I had a hard time thinking of a place that I would be happy staying for 6 months. I think I would pick Italy, probably a small village in Tuscany during the summer months. It's warm there but not as hot as Texas.

No question about it, Manhattan
Been there, done that, "got the t'shirt"!

Lived in and around Manhattan most of my life (enjoyed it, most of the time)West Village was the bomb! Started planning my move on 9/11/2001 Moved to Peru on Sept 11, 2003 (lest I forget why I left).

Lima is about as big (9 million), better food, never rains,never hot,never cold but also will never be the same!

Back
Top Bottom